FLRC and MITHACAL MILERS workouts for the week of September 21st

Another week, more workouts to break up the essential days of solid easy aerobic running… As with last week, I’m bundling the MITHACAL MILERS workout in here; if you want to join the free workouts, be sure to register. More details here.

Middle Distance Workouts (5K to 15K)

• MITHACAL MILERS: We’re doubling our rep length this week, with 10 reps max and a twist. We’ll be running for 2 minutes at I pace (roughly 5K race pace), then dropping to a jog for 2 minutes. The twist is that we’ll be running straight out for 1 minute, then turning around for the second minute before the 2-minute recovery. That way the group can stay together a bit more while running at different speeds.

• Workout 2: 3-5 repetitions of 1 mile at T pace, with a 3-minute jog in between. Pick your number of reps by your weekly mileage.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Long Distance Workouts (Half Marathon to Marathon)

• Workout 1: 3 sets of 10 minutes at M pace, followed immediately by 5 minutes at T pace, then 5 minutes at E pace to recover. Finish with 6 by 30-second strides.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Resources

@adamengst is Mithacal still meeting at the Monkey Run parking lot off of Dryden Rd tonight?

Yes, indeed. Hope you can join us.

Nice to see some new faces among the 12 folks who came to the second @mithacal-milers workout on Tuesday. I just wanted to remind everyone that if you have any safety concerns about how things were conducted, please let me know so I can rectify the situation.

I’m thinking we’ll try some ridiculous relays for next week. We’ll split into two teams, and within each group, we’ll match up the fastest and slowest runner, the next-fastest and next-slowest, and so on. Then we’ll pick a field with a farm road around it and one set of people from each team will start. Here’s the twist. Within each set, the runners run in opposite directions until they meet, then they turn around and run back the way they came to the start. That way the faster runners run farther and the slower runners run less, but in theory, they both run for the same amount of time.

Once they both make it back to the start, their team’s second set of runners go. And while all this is happening, the other team’s runners are doing the same thing. We’ll have to figure out the best number of reps to do based on how many people show up, and the winning team will get all their runners back first.

With any luck, it will work out to a nice set of 2- or 3-minute reps, with decent rest while the others on the team are running.

And I hope it will be delightfully chaotic!