FLRC and MITHACAL MILERS workouts for the week of November 16th

We’re starting to become accustomed to Tuesday at 12:15 PM MITHACAL MILERS workouts now, so if you want a break in the middle of the day, come join us! Workouts are free and open to all FLRC members, but one-time registration is required.

As per FLRC’s safety precautions, if you’ve been in any of the COVID-19 hotspots in nearby counties in the last 14 days, we still like you, but please run on your own.

For the rest of the workouts, we’re pulling back with some easy fartlek.

Middle Distance Workouts (5K to 15K)

• MITHACAL MILERS: On Saturday, I ran the Tortoise & Hare course, and the hill kicked my butt. To atone for my lack of hill training, we’re all going to hit the five Arboretum hills again, but in reverse order this time. We’ll run all out up each hill (focusing on good form, with the back straight), continue hard on the flat at the top for at least 10 strides, and then turn and jog back down on the grass next to the path (to avoid other runners and lessen the impact). Then we’ll jog over to the next path and repeat for one pass through all the hills. When we finish the last hill, we’ll regroup and go into 10 minutes of jogging.

• Workout 2: Fartlek time! For each repetition, look ahead of you to a telephone pole or mailbox or tree or just something you can fixate on that will take at least 30 seconds to get to. Then pick up the pace and run hard to that spot—no specific pace but it should feel fast enough that it’s exhilarating. The goal is to enjoy running fast for an easily doable distance. Then come back to a steady-state pace—slower than M pace, but not just jogging. Run that pace for 30–60 seconds, or until your breathing has stabilized and you feel ready for the next pickup. Repeat for 30 minutes, or until the pickups don’t feel fun anymore. Don’t go over 45 minutes.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Long Distance Workouts (Half Marathon to Marathon)

• Workout 1: Follow fartlek instructions above, but for 45 minutes or until the pickups don’t feel fun anymore. Don’t go over 60 minutes.

• Long Run: 25-30% of your weekly mileage at E pace

Resources