2021 FLRC Challenge completed!

I appreciate this, Adam! I was able to run through so many beautiful new to me places this fall and it’s also been great to share miles with few people too.

I’ve been able to squeeze in some of these runs when I’m not teaching, and yesterday after my morning run here, I changed into dry clothes and drove to Ithaca to finish the Challenge. I was able to cover 19 miles yesterday and have a longer IG post about this, in case anyone is interested. Some of this mileage resulted because I ran the Cornell Botanic Gardens course twice…missed the small loop the first time around so I ran the course again. I’ve really enjoyed all the courses, but have wanted to run the Waterfront and Arboretum for a long time, so it was great to finally see those. But I’ve missed all the flowers and the leaves, so I guess I’ll have to come back!

That said, I’d love to run the BDR to connect with the North and South Rim trails…there are others and my list seems to be growing!

I’d like to stay involved with the FLRC. Thanks again for the kind words.

1 Like

Our 64th finisher is in! Congratulations to Kim Jackson (@KimJ) who braved the pre-Thanksgiving traffic on the roads around Ellis Hollow to complete Pseudo Skunk Cabbage for her tenth and final course. Way to go, Kim!

Kudos to our two most recent FLRC Challenge completions: Damian Clemons @DamianClemons) and Jamie Howard.

Damian had just missed completing the Ultra Challenge because he ran out of time to run Pseudo Skunk Cabbage before having to go to work, so on his second Ultra Challenge attempt—which was successful!—his completion of Pseudo Skunk marked his overall Challenge completion.

And Jamie, taking advantage of today’s sun, chugged through Pseudo Skunk as well for his tenth course. Good work!

Congratulations to Diana Hackett (@dianahackett), who ran Pseudo Skunk Cabbage yesterday to complete her FLRC Challenge! She’s our 67th finisher, and we have 13 more people with 8 or 9 completions waiting in the wings, which would get us up to 80. We have 193 registrants and 163 people have run at least one course, so it would be great if more than half of those who started the Challenge could complete it.

Only a few more weeks, folks!

2 Likes

Braving the winter temperatures but getting it done before snowshoes were required, John Hummel (@johnhummel22) has completed the FLRC Challenge today, finishing off his “one-and-done” strategy with a run-through of the Thom B. course. Congrats, John!

1 Like

Kudos to John McKain (@Jmckain85) for completing his FLRC Challenge last Sunday on the Tortoise & Hare course. His completion was delayed from appearing on the Completions list because his Danby Down & Dirty completion failed to post from Webscorer that day—not a lot of connectivity out there. So let that be a lesson—if you check the Activity Log linked from your Athlete page on the leaderboard and something doesn’t appear that should, repost from the Webscorer app. From the Home screen, tap Race Archive > My Results, scan for the run in question, tap it, and then tap Post Result to send it to the server. The leaderboard should update instantly.

1 Like

Just so you know I’m putting myself out there as well, I’m pleased to report that I have completed my FLRC Challenge today, as did Holly Folsom (@holly-folsom). We hiked the Pseudo Skunk Cabbage course on a cool but sunny morning with the amiable company of Karen Ingall (@kag22) and Mickie Sanders-Jauquet (@mickiejauquet), who had to go run Cornell Botanic Gardens a couple of times afterward to shake out her legs from the hiking pace. Big thanks to all three of them for making the three and a half hours pass by so quickly in conversation that I was almost surprised when we finished at the Ellis Hollow Community Center.

1 Like

Kudos to Dave Kania (@Dave_K), co-race director for Super Frosty Loomis and Monster Marathon, who dropped a speedy 5:48 mile on the East Hill Rec Way today to finish off his FLRC Challenge! That’s 72 people in, with 8 more who just have 1 or 2 courses left.

Congratulations to Mark Jauquet, who has been sitting on a pile of FLRC Challenge course completions associated with a “one-and-done” strategy and just today found the time to enter them into Webscorer! @mickiejauquet had told me that Mark had run all the courses, so I was hoping he’d enter them soon—this isn’t a surprise.

And we have one more! Kudos to Verity Platt (@veritymo) for completing her FLRC Challenge, adopting the classic one-and-done strategy and leaving the easiest course for last, a sprightly East Hill Rec Way.

2 Likes

Thank you Adam! And Happy Holidays everyone!

And two more completions today—congratulations to Sooyoung Vandemark and Nathan Korson, who finished their tenth course each by running Pseudo Skunk Cabbage together this afternoon. Which I can confirm in person, since we happened to meet and cheered for them on the corner of Rt. 79 and Ellis Hollow Road on our way out to my parents’ house. (It seemed likely that two people running together on Rt. 79 in that spot would be doing the Challenge, and we were right.)

2 Likes

Kudos and apologies to Sarah Ridenour (@gumbywhale) and Yinghua Wang (@ying), both of whom completed their ten FLRC Challenge courses recently, but whose Danby Down & Dirty results got stuck in the mud. I’ve extracted them and tickled Webscorer, so Sarah and Ying are now listed as our 77th and 78th finishers on the Completions page. Four more to hit our 50% completion rate!

1 Like

No worry Adam, I am excited I finally finished the 2021 challenge. I really appreciate the chance to run with FLRC, I benefited a lot, mentally more perservant, physically more strong.

Looking forward to the 2022 events, in particular the trail circuit series.

Wish you and FLRC a healthy and promising 2022!

Ying

A post was split to a new topic: Most Miles competition!

Plenty of the day left, folks! Congrats to Aaron Hicks (@aaronholly), Margaret Frank (@Margaret_Frank), and new Finger Lakes 50s co-race director Nichole Cappadora (@nichole-cappadora) for completing the FLRC Challenge yesterday. Aaron ran Pseudo Skunk, Margaret laid down the second-fastest women’s time on the South Hill Rec Way (which catapulted her into second place in Most Points for women too!), and Nichole braved Forest Frolic. The weather was great for this—at about 40 and cloudy, but some of the trails were pretty muddy.

Today is all you have left—Webscorer will automatically stop accepting results at 11:59 PM.

2 Likes

@Iris has also completed the Challenge this morning with Forest Frolic.

1 Like

I’m on my way to the Psuedo Skunk course to finish now! Probably will be finishing right before the group run. Thanks to you, Adam, for the continued pushing/encouraging emails. Nothing like a hard deadline to get my butt in gear!

2 Likes

My “one and done” is now done! Did the Pseudo Skunk this afternoon and what nice weather to be finishing with–50 degrees and partly sunny. Not good for skiing, but I’ll take it for a half marathon on the roads. :slight_smile: I came late to the Challenge, but it was a lot of fun to read Adam’s encouraging posts and reports of other folks, and to push myself to do more mileage than I usually do. Ramping up to a half was definitely not on my radar in mid-November when I signed on. Glad I did. Looking forward to 2022! Happy New Year!

3 Likes

The night’s not over yet, but I think we might have ended up at 86 completions, thanks to the last-minute efforts of Rebecca Lambert (@rebeccamlambert), Mik Kern (@Mikhail_Kern), Iris Packman (@Iris), Jim Hodges (@jhodges117), and Dina Maxwell (@Dina_Maxwell)—congratulations to one and all!

4 Likes