FLRC group run on Danby Down & Dirty course on 9/18 at 8:30 AM

Join us on Sunday, September 18th, for an FLRC group trail run on the Danby Down & Dirty race course. We will meet at 8:30am and run at 8:45am.

This free activity is open to all. We will be previewing the Danby Down & Dirty route for the upcoming race on Saturday, September 24th, but you are invited to the group run regardless or your race day plans. We do ask that you sign the waiver. You need to sign the waiver only once for all 2022 group runs, so if you’ve already signed it, you’re all set! (Check Webscorer to verify that you signed.)

We will meet at the race starting line area (more details below), and run either 10K (one loop) or 23K (two loops but the second loop has been tweaked this year by race director @Petorius). @DamianClemons will lead the 23K, and I will lead the 10K.

Please vote in the poll below with your pace so others can get a sense of who else will be running their pace. We always have a wide range of runners, so you’ll generally find someone to run with. Everyone is welcome, regardless of age, ability, pace, or anything else.

Pace Poll
  • Sub-8:00-minute pace
  • 8:00-9:00-minute pace
  • 9:00-10:00-minute pace
  • 10:00-11:00-minute pace
  • 11:00-12:00-minute pace
  • 12:00-13:00-minute pace
  • 13:00-minute+ pace
  • I plan on hiking

0 voters

Let’s try to reduce the number of car trips to fight climate change and be more inclusive. Vote if you need a ride or can give one, and reply to this post with meetup details.

Let’s try to reduce the number of car trips to fight climate change. Vote if you need a ride or can give one, and post a reply with meetup ideas.
  • I can give a ride
  • I need a ride

0 voters

Where to Meet

The start location is south of Ithaca in Danby on Michigan Hollow Road at the parking lot for the Abbott Loop near the intersection with Smiley Hill Road.

Where We’ll Run

The Danby Down & Dirty race page has detailed mapping information, and you may want to bring a printout of the course and/or written directions.

We also recommend our RunGo real-time, turn-by-turn directions. Download the free RunGo app to your phone and search for “Danby”—be sure to pick the 10K or 23K option. You will get audible cues for when and where to turn based on a GPS connection, so you don’t need cell service.

(Apple Watch users can download the directions to your iPhone and transfer them to RunGo on the watch, allowing you to leave your iPhone behind and get directions on your wrist. I have had the best luck transferring directions at home with my normal connectivity and waiting a few minutes before double-checking that it worked.)

Questions?

If you have questions, contact me, @tonya-engst (leading the 10K distance) or @DamianClemons (leading the 23K distance). To ask about volunteering as a greeter/host for similar group runs, contact FLRC Group Run director Heather Cobb.

FLRC Calendar

Subscribe to FLRC’s Google Calendar so race dates, group runs, and other club events flow into your calendar. Import this ICS file for most calendar apps; subscribe to fingerlakesrunners@gmail.com if you use Google Calendar.

@kalebsm - For the Danby Down & Dirty group run, from where do you need a ride?

I would be near east ithaca, close to East Hill Plaza. I can also make my way anywhere close there.

@kalebsm I also live near east Hill plaza and would be happy to give you a ride there, however I’m a very slow runner and you’ll probably finish the course before me (if you’re doing the 10k), so you would either have to wait or get a ride back with someone else? I expect to finish in 1.5-2 hrs, either way message me directly and I’ll send you my cell#

That would be fantastic. Thank you, I will message you

I am adding a poll here to gauge which distances everyone has interest in.
I am also floating an additional option for those who would like to see all the trail portion without repeating any ground. That would involve simply doing the entire Abbott loop once without running on Michigan Hollow road and without repeating the western side of the course. The distance is only slightly longer than the 10k but you get to see 100% of the trail.

• 12.5 Hybrid

0 voters

I’m planning to run the second half of the course. I want to see the new parts, but don’t feel it’s worth running the road, or twice up to the pinnacles.

When we all gather before the run, we can decide who will try which route. Dave makes a good point about what would make for a fun run if you want to go more than 10K, but not on the exact entire race route. We’ll see who shows up. Meanwhile, I’m putting extra bananas from a race last weekend into banana bread today, and I will bring some for after the run!

@Dave_K What you are describing sounds pretty much like what I suggested up above. Essentially starting by heading out east on the new portion of the trail, and then just doing the entire trail portion in CW fashion. Basically doing the actual Abbott Loop, that covers all of the DDD race course minus Michigan Hollow Road.
Abbott Loop

1 Like

Thanks to the baker’s dozen of runners who came out today for the Danby Down & Dirty course, there were several “pods” of runners who kept each other company on the steep and winding trails of the Abbot Loop. I’m sorry that I missed some of the faster 10K runners at the end, but the slower 10K runners and the 13K(?) runners intersected well at the end. I came home with almost no leftover banana bread. Here’s a photo that can be used by whoever it is (@heathercobb3?) who fills in the group run report (or someone tell me what to do, and I’l do it).

@Petorius @adamengst @DamianClemons @raenb0 @debbliss @Dave_K @melissawallace @pjboyle26 @kalebsm @Ian @sherry-golden

2 Likes

Glad to see such a nice turnout! Let me know if there are any downed trees that will be an issue on race day.

Here’s a few photos I took with one of the “pods” running the 10k distance. Tonya suggested i share. It was a beautiful day. I don’t remember any downed trees along the 10k route.

2 Likes

@Petorius The trail appeared to be in pretty good shape. Only muddy in a few spots on the east loop, and relatively little mud in the creek bed heading north on the west loop. The only trees I remember climbing over looked like they had been there for many years.

Thanks for the report. Unfortunately we can’t do anything about the mud, but usually there’s a lot more of it on race day. Did you run the full 23k course? If so, did the RunGo directions work okay?

@Petorius there wasn’t much group interest in doing the 23k, so a group of 5 of us basically just did a CW run of the Abbott loop. More or less what it would be if you started the 23k at the 10k point. We just went by the blazes, so i appologize i can’t speak for the rungo directions.