Lakefront Loops 5K (and other 5Ks) Star Posts (2023)

Use this topic for posts to collect community stars for the Lakefront Loops 5K course and any other 5K races that you run during the Challenge.

Here’s how it works.

• Click the “Post Using This Template” button below to create a new post with a Story heading and boilerplate text.
  • Replace the boilerplate text with your report for one or both sections. The headers is key for distinguishing between posts and replies—don’t change it.
  • Your post must be on the same calendar day as your run as entered in Webscorer.

Story

To pick up a community star, replace this text with a write-up of what your run was like, a photo you took on the run, a link to your Strava track, or something similar. Don’t delete the Story heading above.

Story

I was going to do the Cornell Scenic Circuit twice, but after sitting in my car for a little while to cool down, I realized I didn’t have enough time to do another effort before I had to get home and shower before a meeting I had at 1pm. So I went to the Lakefront and got this done. Just as hot and miserable as CSC, and driving home was also miserable because of the traffic backed up at the farmers market.

But the osprey are back, and the views off the end of the marine park are juat beautiful.

7 Likes

Story

I had eaten a good-sized breakfast but had a few hours of free time this morning so it was time to get a Challenge course ticked off the list! With a belly full of breakfast, it was a morning of just covering the ground and getting the course completed. It was such a beautiful morning too and there were many folks out jogging, walking, strolling with their wee ones… As an aside, I rented a spot on a boat rack from the Ithaca Youth Bureau for my kayak and, after I completed the the 5K course, I went to check on my kayak - all snug and ready to go in its summer home. Looking forward to time spent on the water.

2 Likes

Story

ran the Lakefront 5K this morning

2 Likes

Apparently at such a clip that even the flowers were a blur!

Story

Today we did our first run for this challenge. :smile:
I am so glad we started this one early in the spring, I think it will be fascinating how much the trail will change as the spring growth comes in, and turns into summer lushness ^^
This was also my first time using RunGo, and I thought it was super helpful. Looking forward to using it on the other courses.
Thanks for joining me on my first run challenge Courtney! ^
^

:sweat_smile: Also first time posting to the forum, hope I did it right :dotted_line_face:
:woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

@mplank congrats on your first forum post, and your first course completion!

1 Like

Story

I started my day with a 5K. My thoughts during this run seemed to revolve around dog waste. I ran by the poop deck near the dog park then saw a sign about turning dog waste into wildflowers. I did not stop to read the text. Finally, I was trying to come up with a way to mark the turnaround point on this course. I didn’t think the grounds crew would want to mow around anything stuck in the ground. How about a biodegradable dog poop bag attached to a tree?!? That’s all I could come up with. :woman_shrugging:t2:

all about the blur. and… where is the Lime Hollow category in Forum to post pic? have more blur to share

Doh! Good catch, Ruth. I had queued all those posts up in a private category with automatic publishing when the Challenge opened, but apparently I didn’t trigger the auto-publishing for that one correctly. It’s here in the FLRC Challenge category now.

Story

This is my first week back running after a few weeks off, so I took it nice and slow on this course. Saw lots of birds–osprey, red-winged blackbirds, a bluebird–but I’m too slow a photographer to get a photo. Quick enough for this snail, though.

4 Likes

Story

during my warmup

lots of things to see

4 Likes

Story

Easing into the Seneca 7 this weekend, so I hit this course for the second time this week. I thought I’d run the course in reverse, and I won’t say how long it took me to realize that running past the rink along 89 technically is NOT running it in reverse. Can any mechanics/physics/full of it people tell me why my shorts always ride up my left thigh?

1 Like

Story

I hit the Cass Park area this morning for the Ithaca Garden Club’s Daffodil Dash. Warmed up, watched the start of the kids’ mile - super fun and energetic! - and looked around for my FLRC friends. @KimJ sauntered up to the start line, but where was @lizhartman? She arrived to the start a minute or two before the “gun” (no gun here, just :sunflower: ) and was off with @aaronking32 right away.

This was a race with plenty of people but a lot of walkers. I hung in the chase pack to start, but there weren’t many of us and we spread out fast. I caught the second woman - no way was I catching Liz - within the first mile, and then we hit the wind. It was tough running into a stiff wind off the lake and my second mile was 43 seconds off my first. A tall guy in a Skunk shirt caught me around the halfway point - I decided to tuck in behind him in the interest of drafting, but my pace fell off and I ended up about 100m behind him. But hitting the turnaround on Floral Ave, I got a second wind and was able to close with a third mile that improved on my second. Didn’t catch Mr. Skunk, but my 24:37.8 was good for 2nd woman and a sweet daffodil lei.

7 Likes

Story

I enjoyed @amalia’s race recap! I don’t have any good photos from the race but I did take a photo of the daffodils on my cooldown.

This was a really low key race and I wasn’t sure how many people there would be to run with so I was stoked when @aaronking32 said he’d be happy to run with me even though if left to his own devices I’m sure he would have finished at least a minute or two faster!

It was fun getting to see fellow FLRC runners on course and I felt better than I’d hoped during the race. Totally agree that the headwind was a real factor for mile two!

Race results: Results - Daffodil Dash — Race Roster — Registration, Marketing, Fundraising

7 Likes

Story

3 efforts this afternoon in the rain, for a total of 40ish miles on Challenge courses this weekend. Pardon me while I eat a giant burger and sleep for a million years.

4 Likes

Story

Thrilled to do the course a second time as my husband has taken up the challenge to Hike them all :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
He isn’t a runner…yet… :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I haven’t given up hope :rofl:
A bit of a gloomy breezy morning hike of the course, after a few hiccups with his Rungo (which we got figured out) enjoyed the nice walk. Looking forward to doing all the other ones :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Whoa! Are you training for the Badger or something?

Story

Cold and rainy run today, so happy to have this companion there to motivate me!

2 Likes

Story

UFO or Yurt ?