Sunday Skunkday Group Run (and pancake breakfast!) on 2/9 at 8:30 AM at Barton Hall

By Sunday morning, everyone should be finished digging out from today’s snowpocalypse and looking for a long run to get their Skunk training in. Bring a friend! We’ll meet outside the doors to Barton, unless it’s open like it was last week, at which point people will probably be inside where it’s warm. Location details and the waiver at the bottom.

I won’t be able to make it this week, so @heathercobb3 will be herding the cats into pace groups. And I want to see someone posting pix here afterward, or it didn’t happen. :slight_smile:

After the run, I encourage everyone to head over to the Varna Community Center for a pancake breakfast that can’t be beat. There’s little more fun than eating pancakes with a bunch of hungry runners. When we do this after the Monkey Run trails, it’s a Monkeycakes run, so this one will have to be a Skunkycakes run!

It’s $8 for adults, and they’ll give you more food than you can eat: pancakes, waffles, or french toast, along with eggs, sausage, hash browns, and more. Plus coffee or tea or cocoa. There’s parking at the Varna Community Center (map here), but if it’s full, you can park across from Varna Auto a few houses closer to Ithaca on 366.

Pace Poll

So everyone can make sure there will be others at their pace, please let us know what pace you’ll be running.

• 7:30-minute pace and under
  • 8:00-minute pace
  • 8:30-minute pace
  • 9:00-minute pace
  • 9:30-minute pace
  • 10:00-minute pace and slower

0 voters

Resources

For anyone interested in braving the trails, here’s a variation on the Sunday-morning theme: Monkey Run loop on snowshoes.

I plan to park at the lot across from the Varna Community Center and head out at 8:30, same as the roads gang. It’ll be a hike or a run, depending on whether trail has been previously broken. I have one extra pair of snowshoes if someone wishes to borrow them. If you’d like to join me, please just show up or contact me off-list at nk33@cornell.edu.

–Nancy

Hope the run and pancake breakfast went well!

Here’s what @tonya-engst and I were doing instead—ice skating on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. It hasn’t been a properly cold winter, so the full 7.8-kilometer length wasn’t open, but there were two roughly 3-kilometer sections open, and we skated about 7 miles the first day and 6 the second. It’s hugely popular, and in 2018-2019, almost 1.5 million people visited.

Big fun, but we were still sorry to miss the pancake breakfast.

Fun! I’m not sure how the breakfast went as I only ran 4 and went home for a nap before having to go into work in the early afternoon. Large group at Barton but unfortunately no picture was taken by me.