Sunday Skunkday Group Run on 3/13 at 8:30 AM at Barton Hall

Another Sunday, another Skunkday! We may not get last week’s glorious weather, but the long-run company will make up for it. If you haven’t yet signed up for Skunk Cabbage on April 3rd, the 10K and half marathon are calling your name. Everyone is welcome, both at these Skunkday runs and at Skunk itself!

Meet at the front doors of Barton Hall (facing Teagle Hall, where the Skunk 10K starts) at 8:30 AM on Sunday, March 13th. Don’t forget that Sunday is Daylight Saving Time, so clocks will spring ahead by an hour! Last week, Barton’s bathrooms were open, so bring a mask if you want to go in.

We’ll split up into rough pace and distance groups and then run the Skunk course, more or less. You can go as long or short as you want, and it’s totally fine to deviate from the course for different loops and distances. Here are some possibilities:

Please register in the pace and distance polls below—now in 1-minute-per-mile intervals by request—so others can see they’ll have company. (Click the icons under each answer to see who has voted.) If you haven’t done so already in 2022, please sign the FLRC Training Programs waiver.

• Sub-8:00-minute pace
  • 8:00-9:00-minute pace
  • 9:00-10:00-minute pace
  • 10:00-11:00-minute pace
  • 11:00-12:00-minute pace
  • 12:00-up-minute pace
  • Hiking pace

0 voters

• ~4 miles
  • ~6 miles
  • ~8 miles
  • ~10 miles
  • ~13 miles

0 voters

Unlike last week—we didn’t know about the wrestling tournament charging for parking, sorry!—there should be plenty of free weekend parking in the Crescent Lot east of Schoellkopf Stadium, which will be the Skunk race headquarters this year, or in Cornell’s parking garage.

Any questions, just ask. See you Sunday!

I voted, however, I could be swayed to run a different distance or pace. I look forward to some social interaction, and I am happy to join the “sweep” group (lord knows I will never be fast enough to be in the “peleton” group). There were a substantial number of fast runners in the group last week, and I am hoping to encourage some slower pace group too show up as well. I reserve the right to skip if the weather is horrible…:blush: Karen

2 Likes

I’m slow and am happy to try to keep up with you. @heathercobb3 is my pace, but she is doing a different run that day.

@Dina_Maxwell I will be at this run! Would love to catch up with you.

1 Like

Sick last Sunday and sorry to miss the nice weather! Hoping to make it this week.

1 Like

There were, but they were all surprise guests who didn’t fill out the poll. :slight_smile: The majority of folks who came last week and did respond to the poll were all outside the sub-8:00 group. But I certainly hope @ChelseaB and @g_sieve and @bellaburda and @kkanaley16 show up again too! There is no wrong pace. Well, except for the one you can’t sustain for the distance you want to run.

BTW, Karen, if you ever want to change your vote for any reason, click the Show Vote button under the poll (you have to be logged in, of course) and then you can click Remove Vote and vote again.

I unchecked my vote for a slower 4 miles for tomorrow, because I’m not sure if I’m really going to come what with all this snow.

I’m still planning to show up and do 5 miles, but I certainly wouldn’t blame anyone who wants to go skiing instead! :ski:

Can I load the course maps into Strava? I’m not familiar with the onthegomaps format?

Ach, sorry, @julie19. I didn’t think of that ahead of time. When creating a route in On The Go Map, it’s possible to export as a GPX file, which might be importable into Strava. But all these courses are pretty easy, so a printout in your pocket is probably sufficient.

No worries. Playing around with the technology. Is On the Go Map an app or something you do in GoogleMaps? I can upload a gpx file to my Garmin watch (in theory) but couldn’t figure out how to download it from a mobile platform.

I’m struggling with the poll. I actually plan to run 13 miles (am curious about the course!) and could run in the 8-9min pace group. See you all tomorrow!

I unmarked my votes as I am not going to be able to make it to the group run

Kudos to the 15 people who braved the cold, slush, and snow to get their Skunk training in this morning! At least it was sunny.

One of these days I’ll get as good as @heathercobb3 at remembering to take a picture.

4 Likes