Sweet 1600 Star Posts (2022)

Use this topic for posts to collect “Community Stars” for the Sweet 1600 course.

Here’s how it works.

• Click the “Post Using This Template” button below to create a new post with Story and Shop Local headings and boilerplate text.
  • Replace the boilerplate text with your report for one or both sections. If you’re collecting only one star, delete the other heading and text. The headers are key—don’t change them.
  • You can collect a maximum of 1 point per course per day for each of the two sections.
  • Your post must be on the same calendar day as your run as entered in Webscorer.

Story

To pick up a community star, replace this text with something like a write-up of how your run went, a photo you took on the run, or a link to your Strava track. If you only want to share how you supported a local business, delete this Story header and text.

Shop Local

For another community star, if you got breakfast or a snack, or supported some other local business associated with your run, replace this text with the details about what and where! If you only want to share your story, delete this Shop Local header and text.

Story

Someone had to warm up a track! I needed to keep my run fairly short to load my current injuries without overstressing them, and I was supposed to work on increasing cadence too. What better spot to do that—and sneak into the overall points lead, however briefly—than the Cornell track, where I ran a 7:29 to warm up and then bumped my cadence closer to 170 for the second 6:46 and 6:48 efforts. It felt pretty good to get the legs moving a little faster than I would on roads and quite a bit more so than on trails, though there was a vicious headwind on the home stretch that almost knocked me back a few times. The track was empty but for another lone jogger, although the Cornell throwers were starting their practice off in the field on the far side. Strava track for proof that I didn’t need RunGo directions for 12 ovals.

1 Like

Story

There isn’t much for me to say about this one. Stopped at the Ithaca track on the way home from Treman, but there was a lacrosse match on the infield, so went to Lansing instead. 2 tracks, completely open except for one lone runner on the one I chose.

Story

I’ll let @tonya-engst tell the story, and merely note that the Lansing track was completely empty when we arrived for a walk while delivering FLRC Challenge lawn signs in that part of the world. Awfully nice views from this track.

2 Likes

Story

Walking four times around the Lansing track is easy compared to running eight times around Barton Hall, for sure. An unexpected twist on this Challenge effort was that @LauraEverlastin and her family were there, with her daughter showing what she’d learned at track practice. I wonder how many different tracks I’ll complete a mile on before the 2022 Challenge ends… (Why were we walking? Saving our energy for tomorrow morning’s group run!)

1 Like

Story

It was a rainy, misty morning, and I’m just getting back after a month of injury and illness, so decided to try a 1600. Felt so freeing to be running through the mist, the only one on the Cornell track. (It was rather slippery though!) Then I saw @lynsayayer about to start her loop right as I finished my last lap!

2 Likes

Story

Ran some sweet 1600 (well really miles) at the Cornell horse track at the end of Blue Grass Lane. Although the setting is bucolic complete with baby horses, the surface of the track is abysmal and I do not recommend if you are looking for speed. Cornell has not maintained the surface since before the pandemic.

1 Like

Story

IMG_3757
I have to thank Caitlin for telling us about the Cornell Horse Track. I love this place!! If you want to run fast it’s not the place to go, true. But you can’t ask for a more bucolic setting. As I loped around the dirt track, for a while a Killdeer ran along next to me, with horses nearby and the faint smell of horse manure.
IMG_3779

Shop Local

Stopped by the Coal Yard Cafe for a Sloppy Jalopy (crazy good, with falafel inside) sandwich with their home-made chips… mmmm

1 Like

Story

I haven’t tried to race a mile since New Years Eve when I did one last effort on the East Hill rec trail for the 2021 FLRC Challenge. The Cornell track is nearby, but I’ve been intimidated to run on it-- I worried it might be busy with speedy college athletes, or that I’d be kicked off for some reason, or I’d get a parking ticket, or that I’d get too dizzy trying to run fast. I decided to try it today after a weekend of no running and too many hours sitting and driving. I’m happy to report that the parking was easy, the track was open and totally empty (around 11am) except for one super speedy guy, nobody kicked me off, I didn’t feel dizzy, and there was even a portapotty conveniently located right there. I only did a 3-lap warmup, a single mile, and a quick cooldown, but it felt good to run on the track!

And that speedy 6:28 puts @MWoods into the lead in the Sweet 1600 for now, but I have a feeling that @mdoruska3 might go after it again.

I run on the Cornell track quite often, mostly around lunch, and it seldom has anyone on it around then. I don’t know exactly when the Cornell team practices, but it’s probably in the late afternoon or early evening. And besides, their season will be over in just a few weeks. (In other words, don’t feel intimidated—if it’s in use, just go run Beebe Lake instead.)

1 Like

Story

Today was supposed to be an easy day, but I was so upset waking up to the news about the Supreme Court eviscerating Roe and Casey that I decided to take it out on the track. Running has always made me feel alive and strong, despite whatever *%#+ is going on in the world. So, I knocked 31 seconds off last week’s time (a feat I don’t expect to replicate regularly!) and got myself in a better place to head into work. I’m still feeling the effects of an illness (quite possibly Covid) a month ago that has my heart rate elevated at my usual paces, so I’m easing back in. Cornell’s track was a bit slippery again this morning, thanks to some spring rain, but there were only 2 other folks on it running 400s. A nice, peaceful place to process injustice and plot smashing the patriarchy.

2 Likes

Story

Ran by the track on my recovery run, so I figured I might as well trudge a few laps. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to smell that smell and not get taken back to my racing days. For the longest time, I could never understand the beginning/end of Once A Runner (spoiler alert) why he gave it all up, but now I do.

1 Like

Story

stopped by the Lansing track to run the mile, it was open but almost deserted with the exception of a guy practicing his long jump

Shop Local

stopped into the Ithaca Agway to buy more bug spray, and to gawk at the bewildering assortment of plants. lots of people there!

1 Like

Story

then I went back over to the horse track and loped around a few times! again, had it all to myself

Shop Local

IMG_3989_2
my wanderings then took me over Greenstar, where the vegetables called to me

1 Like

Story

I ran over to the horse track on my way to school pickup…the sun was fierce, and the track was recently raked, so it felt like running on a dry beach :hot_face: – unfortunately, I was a little behind schedule so no time to stay and watch the horses, but I did run a negative split in order to make it to school by 2:00!

1 Like

Story

ran the horse track again at last light. for a short time horses ran along beside me just on the other side of the fence, so cool !!

Shop Local

stopped by Ithaca Bakery and picked up some sour dough bread

1 Like

Ran 1600 on dirt track at Green Lake in Seattle, WA. Nice cool morning, not those tropical Ithaca temps. Great place to run, lots of company and nice scenery.

3 Likes

Woo—our first seriously remote track! @tonya-engst and I hope to find some tracks in Vancouver in a few weeks for some international points.

Story

after the rains -back out to the horse track to canter around

Shop Local

stopped by Greenstar to stock up on coffee beans!