Sweet 1600 Star Posts (2023)

Nice to see the international tracks making an appearance again this year—thanks for posting, @jeanluc! That stadium in Stockholm looks amazing. We were in Lausanne in 2019, before the Challenge, and while we didn’t see the Stade Pierre de Coubertin, we did attend a Diamond League meet there (and visited the Olympic Museum). I recommend both highly to anyone visiting Lausanne—an international-level track meet is a memorable event, and the Olympic Museum is truly wonderful.

(FYI, for a story to count for a star post, it has to be posted on the same day as the effort hits the leaderboard—it’s all automated. Last year, when we were running tracks on vacation in Vancouver, we had to remember to post both the manual results and the story before bed.)

Story

Last year on Memorial Day morning, I did my best Sweet 1600 on an outdoor high school track in Lancaster PA, where we had been for my daughter’s dance event. This weekend we were in Lancaster again for the same event, so I decided to do another Memorial Day mile. Thanks to @crosby.woods being my timer and calling out my splits, I finished right at 6:30, which was my goal for today (not as fast as last year, but my best for this year!). I also enjoyed warming up by pacing Simon to complete his best 1600. He likes to chat while we run, which isn’t a great racing strategy, but it keeps him happy! For the last 150 meters, I encouraged him to run as fast as he could to the finish, which he did, and I could barely keep up. He’ll be outrunning me soon enough.

4 Likes

Story

International posting continues. I wish I could say that I just ran on this track, the Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam, but close!

The blue dot is me. I ran on the little track off to the left, in the shadow of the Stadium. My cousin has a tiny house right there. Amazing! The Stadium was open later so I got a look inside.

Pretty standard I think. Also all made of brick. Built in 1928 (?).

1 Like

Story

Spiraling, spiraling, spiraling …… I am injured and don’t know what will happen with my running.

My kid had a review session at the school tonight, and on my drive to pick her up, I decided I should walk a Sweet 1600 on the track. So, I did.

I WAS on track to finish the Challenge so quickly (for me). Here’s to best laid plans … :cry:

2 Likes

Story

This is a post about two different Sweet 1600s, but I only have one in Webscorer as the first was a while ago…

Last week I was on vacation in Berkeley, CA, where I went to grad school. On my Monday run, I started off by running from where I was staying near the Bay to Edwards Track, the main track at UC Berkeley. It is yellow, and not a nice University of California gold, but instead this color:

I ran about 600 meters, then someone sent me off because the track was closing. In search of another track, I ran up into the Berkeley Hills and the Clark Kerr campus. The slopes on the way up are Ithaca-level steep, but the views are worth it:

The Clark Kerr track is not a synthetic track, but instead a gravel one with no lanes. It also has this weird fence around the infield:

Today I’m at the University of Michigan campus and found another non-synthetic track, this one with a giant plastic tent on the infield and an asphalt surface. It is a warm day, about 90F right now, and already warm at 8:00 this morning but I managed a respectable 8:13 in the middle of a low-key run.

3 Likes

Story

Today I drove to Rochester to race the Charlie McMullen Mile. My big goal for this race was to break the 4:50 barrier (and improve my 2-year-old 4:51 PR). Last Sunday I raced an 800 in 2:11, so I felt very confident in my fitness. During my warm up I imagined how easy the first two laps would feel compared to an 800 race. Sure enough, I felt really good at halfway and still pretty good after 3 laps. I finished in 4:48.24 (I’ll call it a 4:47 1600), so mission accomplished.

5 Likes

Story

I volunteered at the Gorges Half this morning since I couldn’t run. I was a little sad when I arrived to my post, but that quickly disappeared as the runners went by. I just love how appreciative everyone was!
Great job runners!

I had a plan to walk a couple miles today n the track before a yoga class. Unfortunately, yoga was cancelled, but I still hit the tracks, walking a mile on the half mile track at the Trumansburg Fairgrounds then another mile at the school track.

It was nice to be up and out and about early this morning.

1 Like

Story

I did it :sweat_smile: my first run on a track and a PB to boot :smiling_face:
I went to my local highschool track this morning in Spencer-Van Etten.
Completely empty but the gates were open. Verified rules, and then did my laps :running_woman::checkered_flag:
I may have to learn more about this whole racing on a track thing :thinking::sweat_smile: never followed it when I was in school so it’s completely foreign to me. :woman_shrugging: Maybe I’ll visit at trackapalooza next go around. :thinking:

4 Likes

Story

I raced the 1600 at today’s FLRC meet. My game plan going in was to just race, not worry about time, and make a decisive move with 300 meters to go. You can check my Strava report to see how it played out.

I really enjoy tactical mile racing and I’m so glad that I had the opportunity to race some good opponents. It was also good to see some other FLRC Challengers lay down fast times of their own.

2 Likes

Story

Sweet 1600 At Sea

After multiple attempts at achieving a spiral pattern GPS track, it finally worked!

I was on a cruise in Alaska last week, and thought that I’d be able to make a neat GPS pattern by completing the Sweet 1600 either on the ship’s promenade deck (3 laps/mi, although only walking was allowed) or the jogging track (12 laps/mi). However, I encountered the continuous problem of the ship moving too fast in relation to my running speed, which meant my GPS track just looked like a mostly straight line. But finally, when the ship was moving very slowly, about to dock in Vancouver early Saturday morning, I got my pattern! It was a race against time for me, as we were VERY close to port. You can tell in the GPS track that the spirals were getting closer together with the number of laps.

The spiral pattern!

Me in front of the jogging track after my run

Canada Place, where our ship was docking in Vancouver

Sunset a couple days earlier in the Inside Passage of Alaska, during one of my earlier mile attempts

8 Likes

Now that’s taking the spirit of the FLRC Challenge to heart!

This is so cool. So glad you were able to get it done!

Story

Stopped by the Dryden High School for a mile after drinks and live music at Hopshire. Still pretty hazy out!

2 Likes

Story

ran the 1600 on the Lansing track, then stopped by east shore on the way home to admire the mist over the lake

3 Likes

Story

This morning I had to cancel my PT appointment due to the Canadian crud I caught. I decided to substitute a mile on the Cornell track instead. It was :hot_face: out there! It felt much warmer than the 75 temp and real feel.

1 Like

Story

One, two, three, four laps
Finished before you know it
On to the next course

(I’ll do a full 100k write up soon. For now it’s the haikus I thought of while running the courses.)

3 Likes

Story

Hit the Cornell track for 2 miles. I realized that I know nothing about what the marks on the track mean. I guess I should volunteer at one of the FLRC track meets to learn a thing or too.

2 Likes

An excellent plan! Or at least run Trackapalooza. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish I could run, but I’m still recovering from injury. Please let me know what jobs might be appropriate for someone who knows nothing about track.

1 Like

I’m still figuring out all the jobs for this meet because it’s different than normal, given that we have FAT (fully automatic timing) and aren’t doing the timing ourselves. But go ahead and sign up for “I’ll do anything” and I’ll figure out a spot for you. The meets are always fun and great spectating. Thanks!

https://app.helperhelper.com/inst/1131/opportunity/332687