Track is back! MITHACAL MILERS workouts and injury recovery sessions start 11/8 at 7 PM in Barton Hall

Clear your Tuesday evenings, runners! I’m pleased to announce that Cornell is allowing us to have our weekly MITHACAL MILERS workouts in Barton Hall this year after two years of pandemic-enforced hiatus. We will also be holding our usual indoor track meets on January 15th, February 19th, and March 12th, plus the Hartshorne Memorial Masters Mile on January 21st. So there’s a lot to train for!

FLRC membership and waiver: You must be an FLRC member to run in Barton Hall over the winter, including at these workouts — join or renew today if necessary. Cornell requires everyone to sign in at the Barton front desk at every workout. Everyone must also sign an online waiver once for 2022. It’s the same as for the FLRC group runs, so if you’ve signed that one this year, there is no need to do so again—check Webscorer to see if you already signed.)

Timing and logistics: Workouts start this coming Tuesday, November 8th, at Barton Hall. The lunge matrix and leg swing warmup (especially important for fast speedwork) starts at 7 PM, so it’s best to arrive a few minutes early to change. Workouts will be focused on racing the mile, and although they’re appropriate for runners of all speeds, you should be running at least 10-15 miles per week. I’ll announce each week’s workout ahead of time in the Group Runs & Workouts forum.

Kid sessions need a coach: In past years, we’ve had volunteers coach running game workouts for kids ages 7 to 11. Most of those people are no longer in Ithaca, so if you’d like to volunteer to coach a kid session, let me know. We won’t be able to hold these kid sessions unless someone volunteers.

Injury recovery group session: Finally, I’m trying something new this year. Since I’m recovering from yet another damn injury, once I’ve gotten the workout underway, I’ll be facilitating an injury recovery group aimed at sharing information and support, increasing flexibility and mobility, and improving strength and resilience with bodyweight exercises. It sucks when you can’t run, but maybe working on recovery with others will make it a little easier. Those doing the injury recovery sessions will do the warmups (to the extent possible) with the group, and once I have the runners started, we’ll find an appropriate spot to talk and do exercises. Bring a yoga mat or towel for the floor.

To be completely clear, although I’m an RRCA-certified coach and way more experienced with injuries than I’d like, I am not a healthcare professional, so everything discussed in the sessions will be just informal runner-to-runner advice and is undertaken at your own risk.

Hope to see you Tuesday evening!

2 Likes

Wahoo - this is AMAZING news! Thanks, Adam!

1 Like

Awesome, thanks Adam (and any others) for making this happen for another round. Appreciated!

1 Like

Fantastic!! Thanks for pulling this off Adam!

1 Like

This is so exciting! Really looking forward to this, and will probably pick it up with @amy-dawson after the PHL Marathon on November 20.

2 Likes

I am interested in helping coach the kids group! I would need some advice on how to do this though, as I have never been a track coach. I have a kid that I want to motivate to run though, so I figure that is a start! Yay so excited!

That’s great, Brittany—it looks like we have someone who’s experienced, so I’ll be trying to get that started for next week.

Okay, great! I am available to help out then and gain some knowledge.

1 Like