Triennial Madness! Looking for a team

I’d be happy to have you on the team of “Oldes” I’m putting together!!!

I’d assume I’m old enough for your “oldies” category, and be up for joining in. I’m not as organized as Truck to know what leg I’d be interested in doing though.

OK it’s a deal but the team has to have a better name. Green-eyed Monsters? We can’t compete with the Hash House Harriers for disgusting names.

The difficulty for the GEM or whatever is a getting a good runner for the 15-mile very hilly stage (Veterans to Twin Tunnels). Coming back that is split into two stages. Jim Miner?

1 Like

Truck - can you give me your email address at sls243@cornell.edu so we can organize our team off line?
Thanks!!

Here it is. cyrus621@gmail.com

I also have CU (dgr2) but don’t use it for outside activities, it keeps my inboxes well separated.

Go for it!

Looking to hear what may be happening with the Triennial and if I can find a team…

I have run legs many times in the past. Missed 2017. I would do either of the shorter legs…could probably stretch to handle a 9 mile leg, but certainly would NOT be up for the longest leg!

White male, 64 yrs, very experienced on trails…seeks like minded for woodland adventure!

Evan Kurtz
Dryden, NY

Hi Evan! It’s not a good Triennial until your white/black/brown/whatever limbs have plenty of mud and maybe a little blood on them!

My original posting here has already resulted in one full team. Let’s be optimistic that we can congregate safely at Veteran’s Park on 13 June. No problem with social distancing out on the trail of course.

I plan to lead some Sunday know-the-course runs soon. Again with plenty of distance…

2 posts were split to a new topic: Triennial Trail Relay Stories

Hey Gary,

Do you need a certified, old trail runner for your team? Happy to do any leg BUT the 14 miler.

Evan

Any decision from Mighty Isis on postponing the Tri until the fall/next year? 13 June
is 2+ months away. But some of our participants need to plan travel sooner rather than later (Shelly, Bottom Feeders). If we wait and see, we should set a date on which the decision will be made. We can do a virtual Tri… but that removes the best part of the race, i.e., multiple people battling it out together + plenty of pre-, on the day, and post-trash talk.

I’m not on a team. I have been doing 10 and 20 mile runs on trails to get ready.

Jim, you are always ready. The Triennial legs are not so long, you could probably do the whole thing yourself. I guess it is off for 13 June? I haven’t heard from Mighty Isis. Maybe on for the late summer/fall?? Anyway my work in the Netherlands was postponed until June so I will not be in Ithaca during that month, so if the Tri goes on, you should take my place on Steve’s team.

Let’s go to the source. @kag22, have you made any decisions about Triennial scheduling yet?

I have not put anything out officially it seems that I should post pone it. I was hoping to come up with a date first because June is not looking possible right now, but I have not come up with anything concrete.

Karen

The Finger Lakes Trail Conference has announced its FLT50 Hiking Challenge to encourage people to get out on the trail. You’ll get a patch and sticker for covering 50 miles on the FLT between May 1 and the end of 2020, and they’ll add a “super-slick FLT50 hat” to the package for covering 50 miles during at least three months between now and then or by covering either 50K or 50 miles on a single day. Any outdoor activity counts during the month of May, but after then they’re asking for miles specifically following the white blazes of the FLT, which of course dovetails nicely with Triennial. More info: https://fingerlakestrail.org/whats-happening/hiking-programs/FLT50

1 Like

Thanks Nancy. But the Triennial is also about the grouping of starters/finishers/supporters at Veteran’s Park and also group rides to/from starting points. Out on the trail itself runners are usually well-separated (but not always – we do not want to discourage “hot pursuit”) but the event itself is highly social. I did the virtual Thom B but the Triennial is different – it has to be a true relay on the same day.

I agree entirely. Just putting this out as an alternative incentive to exploring the marvelous resource of the Finger Lakes Trail system. A side benefit of Triennial has always been the impetus for people to check out sections of the FLT new to them; this is another nudge to do so, and can be done individually.

1 Like

I really enjoyed the group run-throughs of many of the FLT legs that we did beforehand over the years. Just yesterday, I hiked from Robinson Hollow up toward Hammond Hill for 2.5 miles (and then back) with my friend Oliver, which reminded me of the year I chased (entirely unsuccessfully) Earl Steinbrecher on that leg of a Triennial after doing the run through with @audrey-balander.

1 Like

There are not many, if any, who have successfully chased Steinbrecher (direct translation from the German: “Stone-breaker”, you can guess which stones…). Indeed Team Atrocious always said “the race is to the prepared” so pre-runthroughs are encouraged. Nowadays the FLT is in general really well-marked, back in the 1980’s not so well.

This is an ironic story, given your explication of the German roots of Earl’s name. I have beaten Earl only once. It was in the Danby Down & Dirty in 2016, and in the steep downhill section after the Pinnacles, I was channeling a runaway train. There were probably four people ahead of me at that point, between 10K and 20K runners, including Eric Sambolec and Earl. I knew @esambo was running the 20K, and I was pretty sure at least one of the other guys was too (turned out be the eventual 20K winner). So they didn’t stress too much when I blew by them, and Earl wasn’t looking so good when I passed him as well. I passed the final guy on a particularly steep and winding bit while he was being careful. He wasn’t terribly happy with me, but my descent was almost completely out of control. I held the pace after the hitting the flat bit right near the end, crossed the road, and did the little jog up and down into the finish for the win.

The only problem, and the asterisk that I’ll always have attached to that win? Earl had barely slept the night before, spending it in the ER with some sort of prostate or kidney stone pain. It was amazing that he ran at all, much less fast enough for third on a tough course. If I’d been in his shoes (shorts?), I never would have run at all. Stone-breaker indeed!

https://fingerlakesrunners.org/race/danby-down-and-dirty-2016/

1 Like