FLRC Presents: Managing Runner's Knee available to watch

Last night’s presentation by Jason Tuori once again went well, with 20 people joining in person to follow along with Jason’s presentation and then asking questions afterward. If you weren’t able to listen in live, you can now watch it on FLRC’s YouTube channel or right here. If you have any questions after watching, post them in this topic.

We had a request for the slides and for a traffic light graphic that Jason uses to help people evaluate a return-to-running program, so here those are too:

Running Injuries_ Patellofemoral Pain.pdf (6.9 MB)

Exercise Traffic Light.pdf (348.2 KB)

Finally, if you watched the live presentation or the recording, we’d appreciate it if you could fill out this quick survey to help us with future presentations.

Thanks again for joining us!

@JTuori. Sorry I missed the presentation last night. I was grateful for the recording. A question I have is I have had issues with my knees for almost a year now that I believe is more related to a tear. Although it’s slowly improving I am finding it difficult and painful to sit back on my knees and touch my heels. Is that related to swelling? Something that will go away in time? What recommendations do you have? Exercises? Thank you!

Thanks @JTuori! I couldn’t make it live but enjoyed watching it on youtube. I have two questions:

1. Does PTP have similar contributing factors in teens? When I was a teen, I had general knee pain while running, but it was characterized as “growing pains”, which wasn’t exactly satisfactory.
  2. Unrelated to above, is there any evidence that weight gain (alone) could cause PTP?

Hi @ydeboer,
Without knowing a lot more information it will be hard to give specific recommendations, but it is definitely possible for joint swelling and/or stiffness to contribute to a decrease in range of motion. Other times, pain itself can decrease range of motion just as a “hey, don’t do that!” mechanism. My general recommendations for a lot of knee pain look like the principles of load management and strengthening that I described in the presentation, but there may be some specifics to your case that would mean more or less of something in particular.

Thanks @jullfly!

1. As far as growing pains, in an adolescent runner I am typically considering Osgood-schlatter’s or Sinding Larsen Johansson syndrome, which are both growth plate-related injuries (the former being the part of the patellar tendon that attaches to the tibia and the latter the connection between the bottom of the patella and the tendon). Those fall outside of the scope of PFP and require different management- much less evidence on strengthening and much more about limiting the activities that really aggravate. They do have a favorable natural history as once the growth plate closes, we don’t see many cases.
  2. In isolation BMI does not seem to be a risk factor for PFP. It seems to be something found across a lot of age ranges, sexes, and weights.
1 Like