Happy Holidays Scavenger Hunt Week 4 begins Sunday, 12/13

Two bodies of water: the natural one is at the bird observatory.

3 Likes

Sculpture abounds here in the city. Hard to pick a favorite!

3 Likes

I got all my finds on a run at Nichols Park in Spencer on Monday, but too busy prepping for the storm to post til now.

This is why I hate selfies; I don’t even recognize myself, but it’s my hat, all right.
wreath
Wreath.

The flock of geese that usually (and annoyingly) live at this pond were not in appearance, except for this one lonely goose. I hope they were just hanging out on the island and hadn’t flown south, leaving this one behind.
swamp monster
Swamp Monster! A local artist named Wayne Myers has created many sculptures and gardens around the pond, making them from stone and parts of old farm implements. The eyes here are old mill stones.

I know, I know; the pond itself has been photo bombing most of these pictures, but I’m using it here as an excuse to include my favorite sight of the day although not on our hunt list: holiday ornaments hung from trees and bushes all along the path by some mysterious person just feeling, no doubt, generous of spirit. I really am happy when I’m running, and they added to my joy.
mailbox
I ran past a lot of mailboxes, but none with great decorations; so when I got home I spruced up my own with the medals that I earned in all of my 2020 virtual racing.
We’ve survived this one. On to the next, whatever it brings.

4 Likes

Love the sculptures & the gardens!

Migration season is over, so this is as close as I could get. I did consider goosing someone on camera…

3 Likes

3 Likes

Red hat

in a golden sphere

2 Likes

I would have loved to have seen that photo, especially if it was a stranger!

I didn’t have to stay off my beaten paths this week to find our treasures:
A wreath on the shed of my running buddy’s house.

Gotta love Flat Rock, beautiful in all the seasons.

I’m a sucker for glass sculptures. This is a relatively new one at the Cornell Botanic Garden.

No scarcity of these fine feathered friends on Beebe Lake this week.

Courtesy of the Forest Home Chapel.

Borrowed my daughter’s hat for this run.

5 Likes

Attempting a 3 for 1 photo!

1. Hat-supporting my NY Yankees pride
  2. My modest mailbox because I don’t want to run up to someone else’s and take a
    photo of it
  3. My body is made up of roughy 60% water, technically not running “by” it but more
    like “with” it. I leave it up to you Heather if it works or if I need to try again.

Statue honoring those who have served. Fun Fact: it is at the same park where you saw that lovely trash can from the previous round!

A wreath, there were many throughout town of great designs, but again, didn’t want to go up to a random house taking pictures so this the public library. I may have used too many commas in that sentence.

All 3 pictures had me in them, guess I’m really trying to push my “witty” “body of water” attempt. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A hat to be reckoned with… I had to show both sides, its a little scary.

My neighbors mailbox in Madison WI. Been there over 20 years.

I was running near Lake Medota in Madison and I saw this. Ice fisherman are crazy…That ice has a few cracks in it. Plus, that is OPEN WATER about 110 feet away!

3 Likes

This is my favorite this week, found on a neighborhood porch. A fourfer! A goose a laying (4 golden eggs and Spiderman), said goose is a statue, I am wearing a hat, and after I took the photos I saw that there was a wreath on the door! Oh, and that is not my porch, but I know who lives there so I wouldn’t look like some weird porch creeper.

She is the proverbial goose a laying the golden egg. Too bad it wasn’t golden rings!

And here is a creepy snowman just for fun

3 Likes

oooooo I love the glass sculpture !

3 Likes

Just a quick twofer for me this week: my Hartshorne Masters Mile hat and our pond in the background.

Here’s some trivia for the day given that Jim Hartshorne, for whom the race is named, was one of the founders of FLRC. His name (and thus the race) is properly pronounced “Harts horn” and not “Hart shorn” — it’s literally “the horn of the hart” and not “I cut the horn off the hart.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

A wreath:

A two-fer (seem to be popular this week!) - a very frozen stream running through a garden full of snow-covered sculptures:

Bonus close-up of one of the sculptures in case they are hard to make out:

Geese!

Rabbit-shaped mailbox:

Me in a hat on this morning’s run - also with a face-covering as it was ruddy cold!

3 Likes

Lots o’ mail

Fish outa water

My favorite hat reporting live from slopes of Ithaca college

3 Likes

wreath

3 Likes

Geese

Tire wreath

3 Likes

Another week down, just two to go! What will the final two weeks have in store? Stick around to find out! I love all the different mailboxes and statutes everyone could find.

Out of the 16 participants for week 4, 11 of you found all six items!

@nkleinrock
@sryan004
@mickiejauquet
@julie19
@lizhartman
@Mkm1
@debbliss
@caitlin-loehr
@Sandy
@dianahackett
@aaron

This week’s “race director’s choice” is going to @runningdoggo5 for his “scientific” way of finding a body of water! (Humor is also a good way to butter me up.) Special shout out to @Sandy for finding a goose-a-laying!

The above participants will have their names entered into the drawing at the end of the event. You can continue to earn spots in the final drawing, so check out week 5’s items and keep posting!

Remember, anyone can join at any time, so encourage anyone interested to join us!

If you have any questions, please feel free to DM me.

1 Like