Happy Holidays Scavenger Hunt Week 5 begins Sunday, 12/20

A 2.5’er? Deer tracks in the snow in a corn field?

Did find some deer decorations and few stragglers of corn (above my head) later on.

Recycling day so went for quantity not quality. Lots of boxes on the street.

Dino in a Santa hat!

“Why you laying in the snow hooman?”

5 Likes

Possible two-fer - popcorn box

Deer in my yard

Footprints (some possibly Nancy Kleinrock’s) in the woods

4 Likes

Doggo paw prints!! :slight_smile:

A nice box doing box things

3 Likes

4 Likes

If you expand this, right by the fence you can see a gazelle. Last week I was within 20 ft of one, but this week not so lucky.

3 Likes

No snow, sand or grass - how about a wall angel?

4 Likes

Barefoot and the polar opposite

Snowshoe Angel

I missed the shot of the massive box the delivery guys were taking into the house, but these were still pretty big.

2 Likes

Since Spring I’ve been watching a mama deer with her two fawns that hang out around Beebe Lake. This week I just saw one of the nearly grown fawns.

Tracking the deer around Beebe Lake

I took this one for the team. Brrrrr!

HO! HO! HO!

A Corn field in winter:

Some cracked corn in birdseed - in case my cornfield is actually a wheat field…

Big box on porch, taken from the street so as not to be too creepy:

3 Likes

I wonder what is in that big box?

These two pix taken trying to cross county ski after that BIG snow. At 26" it was really too deep for that.

Plenty of critters visiting the pond’s edge looking for water.

It was really really hard making a snow angel in the deep heavy snow, hard to get a picture of it, and hard to get upright again

3 Likes

The big box containing the squat rack I ordered. Post-holiday project: getting it set up to further develop my home gym.
big box

I wore the hat running on the side road, & was lucky to encounter my neighbor, who snapped the pic.

This is what you meant by “corn,” right? I always take at least one with me whenever I run.

I offer here 3 different types of deer pix. The live Odocoileus virginianus were hanging out in their cold-weather hideaways. Who can blame them?

Standard deer decoration

My deer friend, bringing us some of their homemade cinnamon bread.

Some venison harvested by my neighbor, another holiday offering. It’s the only meat I can stand eating, so I appreciate the gift, both from the neighbor and from the deer.

2 Likes

Corn field with just stalks left.

Live deer ran across the road in front of me on Tuesday but I wasn’t quick enough to get a pic. But here’s a “buck”!

1 Like

A poor effort from me this week - two birthdays and Christmas got in the way rather… However, I can offer raccoon footprints, and some deer who joined me on my morning run in the snow:

I shall have to make amends with the week 6 bonanza!

1 Like

Deer, Christmas breed.

snow angel. It was 47 degrees and melting fast. I got it in just in time

Footprints. Pretty sure they belong to the mystery animal living under the back porch. Pretty sure they belong to a possum. I like to pretend he isn’t really there so I was not happy to see his drunken footsteps across the yard.

2 Likes

Santa hat. with Santa still in it. ok,I am noticing this year just how many people in WI have really odd, interesting, and sometimes creepy things in the yards.

Box. Boxes. And… CORN. Yes, it has been an Amazon Christmas at our house. We have been throwing these in a pile and I think it is time to recycle. They attacked me on the way out to run today. Had to ice with a bag of corn to recover.

4 Likes

love your footprints Adam

Cheating, I know, since it wasn’t on a run, but my office penguin wanted to play too, and he always wears his Santa hat this time of year.

3 Likes

Second to last week is done! Hopefully the past 5 weeks have been entertaining and fun, and the final week is going to be a blast!

Out of the 13 participants for week 5, 9 of you found all six items!

@lizhartman
@nkleinrock
@mickiejauquet
@sryan004
@julie19
@Mkm1
@caitlin-loehr
@debbliss
@Sandy

This week’s “race director’s choice” is going to @dianahackett for making the time to get outside despite an incredibly busy week, and two cute deer! Special shout out to @Sandy for her avalanche of boxes.

The above participants will have their names entered into the drawing at the end of the event. You can continue to earn spots in the final drawing, so check out the week 6 bonanza and keep posting!

Remember, anyone can join at any time, so encourage anyone interested to join us!

If you have any questions, please feel free to DM me.

Thanks for all the shout outs Heather. (lol always the bridesmaid never the bride…). I have had so much fun doing this on my hikes and runs. I hope even post covid there is a December scavenger hunt in future years. Thanks again for coordinating the hunt!

1 Like

This scavenger hunt has been brilliant, and I certainly hope that @heathercobb3 or someone else will be up for coordinating it in future months (summer could have very different things to find!) or years. I see no reason it couldn’t continue even after we can do races again. Races and workouts are great, but there are plenty of other ways to have fun running too.

1 Like