East Hill Dryden Rail Trail Star Posts

Story

I’ll echo @adamengst: today was a perfect day for a run, and it felt good to kick at the end. Thanks for a great time this morning, everyone!

1 Like

Story

I gotta be honest: I’m really enjoying these group runs. Today was really fun, and though my legs were blown from yesterday’s runs, I really enjoyed running as a group. @adamengst said most of it, but I’m really grateful that he hung back a few seconds at the turnaround to let me catch up. We had a great chat on the return trip, though I was not at a conversational pace, I really did enjoy the conversation. Looking back at my Strava, every mile was a negative split, so that was pretty cool! Post-race banter was also really fun: now our group knows all about the bridge signs, eminent domain, and all that good stuff.

1 Like

Story

It is looking like I am going to be in and out of town a lot over the next month and a half so I want to check of some speed runs while I’m here. This time I decided to run this course as an out and back, starting at the downhill end of the rec way. Running from my house this gives me a 1.3 mile warm and and cool down and saves gas/electric energy by not having to drive to the start of the course. In this orientation the course reminds me a little of the Black Diamond trail last year with a slight up going out and a slight down coming back. It will be especially lovely when the full trail is open and we no longer have to run the Game Farm/Stevenson road detour. Anyway, it was a lovely cloudy breezy morning for the run. There were no big obstacles blocking the trail this time though there was a nasty chemical smell blowing over the trail when running by the solar panel farm. I shudder to think what noxious pesticide/herbicide is now embedded deep in my lungs. Bummer. Overall I pushed myself to my limit and feel like I put in my best effort.

2 Likes

Story

The Dryden Rail Trail/East Ithaca Way is one of my favorite trails, but this was my first time to “cover the ground.” Great trail conditions, although quite humid.

Dodged a couple of chipmunks underfoot on the East Ithaca Recreation trail! And caught a glimpse of a Hairy Woodpecker.

1 Like

Story

Chose a beautiful, if blustery, cool June morning for the run, and it was spectacular. Not many people out on the Dryden trail, but plenty of birds!

Shop Local

After the run, we headed up to the Lansing Center Trail for a hike m, then grabbed fish fry at Crossroads Bar & Grille for Father’s Day. We decided to make it a picnic and eat by the lake at Salt Point. A lovely day in the Finger Lakes!

3 Likes

Story

I was planning on taking today off since my legs are still sore from an 11 mile trail run/hike on Saturday with the Finger Lakes Trail Conference cross county hike series and then a fast Peter DeMott Peace Trot yesterday. BUT…my 23 year old son came home from Illinois last night and asked if I would do an 11 mile run with him (as part of his training schedule) this morning. So out we went. It was so fun to run with him. We ran to the East HIll rec way, logged some miles for me, and then continued the run through his old stomping grounds at Cornell. Super great morning for a mom.

4 Likes

Story

I decided to run the East Hill Dryden Rail Trail at lunchtime to do a bit of heat training… :fire: spot on, because it was so hot that my phone went all black and said “emergency only,” so I could not take any photos on the trail :rofl:

I was only able to “resuscitate” it when I went back to the car and turned on the air conditioning.

I saw a few people walking, but no one running. The trail is in excellent conditions and the grass is perfectly cut.

Shop Local

I’m headed to The Heights for a dinner with colleagues. I’ve never been there before so I am looking forward to trying a new restaurant!

1 Like