Ellis Hollow Creek Crossings Star Posts

Story

Decided on a quick evening hike with Matt and our dog to knock another course off his list. Lovely evening for a hike. And still, shockingly not buggy on the trail. :thinking::mosquito:
Plenty of toadies though :frog::smile: maybe that is why it wasn’t buggy :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I was just checking the FLRC Challenge board under my profile and both my Ellis hollow efforts are missing :thinking: they recorded in my webscorer app :woman_shrugging:
Is there anything I need to do, to update the website?
Anyone else having this issue?
I know I have terrible service at this trail head, could that be the problem?

Here’s info from the FLRC Challenge webpage:

• Run not appearing on the leaderboard? You ran a course—likely one of the more far-flung ones—and scanned the sign correctly, but it’s not appearing on the leaderboard. The reason is that Webscorer wasn’t able to contact its servers to post the result at the time due to weak connectivity. The solution is easy—you can repost from the Webscorer app. Navigate to Home > Race Archive > My Results > Race Name > Post My Results. If you ran a course multiple times, make sure you’re selecting the right one. Check your activity log for that course afterward to make sure it came through.
2 Likes

Story

The days and weeks surrounding the summer solstice are sure nice for us early risers. I jogged through two circuits at Ellis Hollow, a preserve I’d never been to until this year’s Challenge started, and had the whole place to myself. The mixed terrain here keeps it interesting and I’ve found these trails to be more enjoyable than expected, especially that fast 0.3-mile straightaway down to the finish.

3 Likes

Story

Today is the first day of summer vacation for my 8 year old so we kicked it off with a run on this lovely trail! We spotted 5 toads and enjoyed a couple of quick dips in the creeks to cool off. It was a great way to start the day!

3 Likes

Story

After two Lime Hollow loops I didn’t have time for a third, so I took the backroads out to Ellis Hollow for a jaunt through six dried up creek beds. It was worth it because I found an efficient driving route between three of the Challenge courses: from Lime Hollow take 366 toward Ithaca and turn onto Cook Street to reach the old depot and the sign for Dryden Lake Lollipop. Then head out to route 13 and take Mineah up and over to Ringwood, then down to Ellis Hollow Creek.

2 Likes

Story

My son joined me for this one and although I think we started backwards and lost our directions I think we made.out just about right! We were inspired by the poetry chair and the many varieties of fungus along the way and we made up poems about fungus the rest of the run after that…
Fungus fungus everywhere
Fungus here fungus there
Fungus growing by the brook
Fungus everywhere you look

5 Likes

I started this post as a pity party and decided to delete that. After work I hit the Ellis Hollow Creek Crossing Course. I couldn’t remember the deal with cell signal and course directions, so I started RunGo at my office, paused it, and already had 3 miles in by the time I got to the start! :laughing:
This is a beautiful trail course, and I had it completely to myself. There is a mouthy creature within earshot; my guess is a bovine of some sort.

1 Like

Decided to finish off this year’s challenge with a rambling Sunday morning dog walk - it took us a very long time because the dog found Many Interesting Smells… and a couple of frogs too. Beautiful course, thanks @adamengst !

5 Likes

Story

After yesterday’s rain, I knew this morning would be a great opportunity to go herping with the family, and was not disappointed!

Hundreds of newts out, half a dozen frogs, a full rainbow of fungi, even a giant leopard slug!

We did the story walk too, so obviously my finish time was totally useless, but figured I’d get in one last “effort” before the end of the week!

4 Likes

Story

I’m so proud of my boys for completing their first FLRC Challenge course entirely under their own power. They’d been taking a lot about the Challenge all summer, probably because my of shirt from last year and the sign in our front yard. The three of us hiked the full Ellis Hollow route which I inevitably included a lot of mushroom, bug, and red eft hunting. They know the red newts from Ian’s race company logo and were excited to finally see some close up. Adrian was disappointed he didn’t find any slugs (his current favorite animal) but still had a good time. There was a lot of hand holding on the trickier parts, but I never had to carry anyone along. When they started to tire out we kept moving with the promise of Purity ice cream, which meant they both insisted on stopping into Finger Lakes Running Company while we were there.

Before anyone thinks of calling CPS… it was the boys’ idea to go, not mine, and we went at their pace with the possibility of quitting early if they couldn’t make it. I would never force them to do something like this if they didn’t want to. We discussed it several times this summer but this was the first time they truly wanted to try it.

The whole thing took 2 hours 40 minutes. It was such a fun way to close out the 2023 Challenge! Maybe next year they’ll want to register for a personal challenge to complete the 2-4 shortest courses.

Done!

8 Likes

Oh my goodness this!! :heart:

1 Like

@Petorius - What a great outing! Very cute pix, too.

1 Like