Lakefront Loops 5K (and other 5Ks) Star Posts

Story

In his last weekly recap post, Adam tried to (gently) bait me into another Ultra Challenge 100k on the final day. I’d be lying if I said I never considered it, but decided to trash my body a little less with the Monster Marathon on Sunday followed by the Groton Labor Day 5k on Monday with my kids to close out the 2024 Challenge.

While billed as a road race, the Labor Day run is the only 5k I know of that includes asphalt, gravel, trail, and track, plus a healthy dose of rolling hills. A fun all-terrain adventure, but a real SOB when you’re pushing 96 pounds worth of kids in a double Bob on Monster Marathon legs. I ran this race once, two years earlier, also pushing the kids, and somehow won my age group. This time I was 3 minutes slower and didn’t even win the (unofficial) stroller division, getting smoked by another 40-year-old dad with a double Bob.

Still, the boys and I had fun, especially on the downhills when they pulled me along at a speedy clip, and when they heckled me for going too slowly uphill.

“C’mon dad, run! Those other kids will catch us.”

“Guys, I ran a marathon yesterday. Gimme a break here!”

Thanks to RD @Sweeks for organizing!

Results

5 Likes