Sweet 1600 Star Posts (2022)

Story

Last post from Italy :it: before the Challenge ends… hello from Tuscany!

We spent a week at the seaside in Marina di Grosseto with a couple of friends.

We took advantage of our location to visit a few towns in Tuscany.

The first town we visited is Pitigliano, also known as “The little Jerusalem” for the presence of a Jewish community that has always been welcome and well-integrated here.

This is the local synagogue:

Today we also visited Montepulciano and Montalcino. Both are in a very rich wine-producing region (the “Vino Nobile di Montepulciano” and the “Brunello di Montalcino” are famous local wines :wine_glass:).

Here are a couple of photos from Montepulciano:

And here are a couple from Montalcino:

I found out that in Grosseto there is a very nice track that belongs to a track-and-field school, the “Campo di Atletica Leggera Bruno Zauli.”

On our way to Montepulciano, I asked my friends if we could briefly stop there, so I could do one last Sweet 1600. The track is in the city center, right next to the Zecchini Municipal Stadium. The space was recently renovated (in 2016) and is very well organized: in addition to the track, there is a field of natural grass for all activities related to athletics (discus throw, shot put, hammer throw and javelin throw), two platforms for the high jump, two for the long jump, two for pole vault, and the track even has a covered section!

And yes @kuwanna-dyerpietras you are totally right, it’s not good to trespass, so I am not recommending it to anyone. Unfortunately, most of these tracks in Italy are closed in the summer. I always try to find phone numbers online and call before checking them out, but I never get an answer.

But I gotta end on yet again another funny note… the day I got caught for jumping the gate of the track in Rome was quite memorable because… my boyfriend proposed! Can you imagine if I had gotten arrested and he had to propose in a Roman prison?!

Shop Local

Today we had an excellent lunch at the restaurant Il Teatro Cucina Toscana in Montepulciano… highly recommended!

Sorry to miss the FLRC picnic! :heart: Congratulations to all the prize winners and finishers for rocking the Challenge, and thanks again to @adamengst, @tonya-engst, @heathercobb3, @Dave_K, and all those who organized group runs and contributed to creating such a wonderful running community in Ithaca!!!

4 Likes

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Congratulations, @Benedetta_Carnaghi, and may you have all the happiness that you so richly deserve! And best that the proposal didn’t happen in a Roman prison because of the Challenge. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for the gorgeous photos. I’m utterly jealous of a partially covered track—can you imagine the excitement when the runners would go under?

1 Like

Thank you so much!!

Thank you so much!! And yes—the partially covered track is really cool, considering that I’ve done my first mile on the Cornell one under a terrible thunderstorm :cloud_with_rain: :rofl:

Story

Amsterdam
The view across the bike path from where I am staying…

2 Likes

With that kind of view, obviously you had to get in a run this morning!

Story

Cognizant of the looming end of the Challenge, I decided I’d take a stab at a final Sweet 1600 on a track in the nearby town of Carhaix. I’d passed by the track numerous times and figured it was a 200m surface. Turned out it was something like 240-250m. Anyway, with very little running lately, and a wee bit of a hangover from the previous Saturday night apero, I did a 3 mile warm up and then a dedicated 1600m.

Shop Local

Enjoyed a pile of langoustines from our favorite fishmonger at the Carhaix market for Sunday lunch! Yum!

2 Likes

This is the craziest and best story I’ve seen as part of the Challenge! You deserve some sort of award for completing a course while outrunning authorities on the other side of the Atlantic. And Circus Maximus is a great name for a track ultramarathon and/or a metal band.

1 Like

Hahaha thanks @Petorius :heart: we can always organize an Italian FLRC track meet and call it Circus Maximus :wink: it makes it sound very adventurous!