What local tracks are open for running?

Are there any tracks in the Ithaca area where one could sneak in a quick 4 miles? I am hoping to do 3 runs for the Covid!( Fund Run…track, trails, and road…Thanks!

Cornell, Ithaca, Lansing, Dryden, and Groton all have tracks. I suspect it would be difficult to get on the Cornell or Ithaca tracks, since they can be locked, but I don’t think the others are as fenced off.

Dryden’s is fenced and is closed to the public, some construction going on, turf installation started, new concessions stand underway…I live in Dryden and reached out to the AD…hence my post.

1 Like

Phooey. I know Ithaca and Lansing are planning construction on their tracks this summer, but I don’t know if it’s started in either place. Ithaca College has an outdoor track too, but I don’t know if it’s open or not. Same with Newfield and Trumansburg, though they’re on the other side of things from you.

Ithaca College’s track is locked up tight!

1 Like

Ithaca High School is under construction

Groton High School track is always open. On a nice day it can be a little crowded with walkers for pandemic measures. But early morning is usually good.

2 Likes

One of the Cornell Tracks had a large gap in the fencing on the side closer to Campus Road. Might be worth checking out. The one I’m talking about is between Tower Road and Campus Road a bit down the road from the dairy bar.

Are there any tracks open?

The only one I know that is available for sure is Groton. Ithaca High’s track is completely under construction. Lansing might also be open after some construction, although it’s fenced and might be locked. Trumansburg was going to be under construction, but I haven’t heard any updates there. Newfield might also be available.

For the most part, I’ve kept all the FLRC workouts to runs that can be done anywhere for just this reason.

@KimJ said that the Trumansburg track appears to be open and not under construction (although there is some construction on the nearby buildings).

I also stopped by the Dryden track on my ride Sunday. Once again, there’s a fair amount of construction nearby, but the track itself seemed to be untouched and easily accessed. That said, there’s a sign that clearly says it’s only for students unless you have written permission. If there was a lot of interest, FLRC could try to work with the Dryden administration to see if we could get blanket permission for club members (by providing an insurance certificate).