Happy Holidays Scavenger Hunt Week 3 begins Sunday, 12/6

The second week of FLRC’s Happy Holidays Scavenger Hunt was so much fun! Be sure you post your items by Saturday - winners will be announced on Sunday.

Week 3 is here - a quarter of the way through! From Sunday to Saturday (12/6 - 12/12), find as many of these items as you can while out on your walk, run, or hike.

1. Garbage/recycling can
  2. Fuel on your run (liquid or food)
  3. A menorah or something Hanukkah related (Happy Hanukkah!)
  4. Cows (bonus point for a maid a milking)
  5. Run in mismatched socks or gloves
  6. A traffic light

Once you find your item, take a selfie or picture and post it on this thread. Remember, for every item that you post, you get one point. The runner(s) with the most points will be entered into the swag drawing at the end of the event. And, while 6 might seem to be the weekly high score, remember that the race director (that’s me!) can award extra points based on particularly creative or artistic photos, or those that get lots of “likes” here on the forum. (The race director also has a soft spot for cookies, but you didn’t hear that from me…)

Everyone really stepped it up a notch in week 2 with the creativity, so let’s keep the ball rolling!

My own recycling cans - I had lot of packages this week.

Mismatched socks that are also apparently mismatched in length… :thinking:

3 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

And the recipe: 2 C rolled oats, 2 C applesauce, .5 C raisins, 1.5 Tbsp chia seeds, 2 tsp cinnamon. 25 minutes at 350 and it’s time for fuel!

3 Likes

Cornell Dairy Truck
Downtown
Recycling Gatorade with shoes and gloves mismatched on purpose this time

4 Likes

Our backdoor-neighbor’s pet cow, Winnie.

Bonus cows: my herd of Finger Lakes 50s trophies. Alas, the little herdlet is unlikely to expand now that I’m in my 60s and the hope of winning masters again has slipped out of my reach.

Traffic light near NYSEG, as photographed from the Dryden Rail Trail at Rte 13 (in yellow, red, and green)

An already-emptied garbage bin on Monkey Run Rd just above the Rail Trail and Monkey Run trailhead; photobombed by a runner and her two dogs.

3 Likes

Got my food and my gloves

!
(upload://ibMcnFMooKr8wtWmF5WOP55nWIg.jpeg)
Got the same picture as Steve on the menorah

3 Likes

Here’s someone in my hood refusing to remove their rejected recycling and their empty trash cans off the curb.

1 Like

Here’s my haul from this morning:

2 Likes

Morning walk in odd socks

2 Likes

And here are the bell and pagoda

1 Like

Beautiful, Shelly. Here’s a bell from the last time I was in Japan (Hakone). Beautiful structures. Nothing to do with the scavenger hunt, of course.

2 Likes

Garbage can at the park

I drink a lot of H2O

The coolest socks. :slight_smile:

No red light will stop my run!!

4 Likes

Knee sock and ankle sock, both stripey, and both keep the snow out

Time to fuel up for my run! (This is what you meant, right Heather?).

4 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: Love it, Nancy!

I have to admit these are getting harder! I knew it would be a two run endeavor this week as Groton has lots of cows but absolutely no traffic lights! Here we go:
Day 1 run
Recycling bin. Check. It was garbage day anyway.
Cows. Check.
Fuel. Check. Always one of these in my pocket. They survive the washer and dryer just fine. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Mis-matched gloves. How the heck do you take a selfie of both hands?!?!? Should’ve went with the socks. I’m not one to walk away from a challenge though. If you look closely you will see my shadow wearing my gloves. One white, one black. And more cows. Who were very curious about what I was doing and started gathering quite closely. Gave up on the perfect photo and made a hasty exit. Didn’t want to start a stampede.
Day 2 run
Started in Cortland.
Menorah. Check.
Since traffic lights are such a novelty ran to Homer to find a good background. The village did not disappoint. Check out the toy soldiers!
16 snowy miles later, list complete.

3 Likes

All kinds of critters at the open air market!

1 Like

Chanukah, first night. My whole neighborhood is glowing with candles and ringing with song.

I knew you’d get there about seven hours before we light first-night candles here in Ithaca. Lovely! Note to Mickie, Steve, and Julie: The seven-armed menorahs you captured on synagogues aren’t hanukkiahs (which have room for nine candles), but all are fair game, since Heather didn’t specify.

1 Like