A plug for the Ithaca Outdoor Gear Project

Dear FLRC Community,

The Ithaca Elementary Outdoor Gear Project needs your help (Giving)! Since last summer, we have raised over $61,000 to support all 8 ICSD elementary schools in expanding outdoor learning and play. While the pandemic sparked the project, there is a strong desire within our community, and support from the school district, to broaden outdoor learning well into the future!

Our fundraising goal is $100,000. We raised over $60,000 in Phase 1 and were able to fund 100% of ICSD elementary principals’ requests for top priority gear. This includes ponchos, snow pants, splashy suits, boots, and waterproof mittens and gloves. In total we have provided 2479 outdoor gear items to our 8 elementary schools.

We are now entering Phase 2 of our fundraising and need to raise an additional $40,000 to purchase gear for students currently learning virtually so that when they (hopefully) return in person this Spring or next Fall our schools are prepared to continue on their outdoor learning trajectory.

Would you consider making a donation to support this project? If you’d like to learn more about us, you can visit our website(http://www.ithacaoutdoorgear.org/) or email us at ithacaoutdoorgear@gmail.com.

Support from community members like you and some of our amazing sponsors including Guthrie and Tompkins Trust have made the following possible:

“The outdoor learning committee has helped breathe life into an area of kindergarten that was often hindered by weather and the elements. When children are adequately dressed for all kinds of weather, their classroom grows beyond the school walls. Nothing can hold them back!”

–Caroline Elementary Teacher

“I truly believe that time spent outdoors is healthy and smart… the youngsters are more engaged, more focused, and much calmer. These incredible successes, which I intend to repeat in the future, are simply impossible without the right outdoor gear. We are just finishing out 4 months of winter, during which my class spent no less than 3 hours per day outside, and often more. It is not hyperbole when I say that, in 25 years of teaching, this was the first winter in which no one complained of being cold.”

–Fall Creek Elementary Teacher

On behalf of The Ithaca Elementary Outdoor Gear Project,

Steven

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this, Steven! I’ve really enjoyed working on this project with you :slight_smile: