Adam on the disabled list for a while

As many of you have heard, I had a cycling accident on the ElliptiGO on Saturday. Thanks for all your kind words and well wishes!

I have no recollection of what happened, but I was only 0.6 miles into a 45-mile ride from Trumansburg when I crashed on a flat road with little traffic for no apparent reason. Sigh. Several women out for a walk helped me right away, since I had cracked my helmet, was bleeding profusely from the nose, and didn’t remember how I had crashed. (Wear those helmets, people!) Neither my Apple Watch nor my iPhone detected the fall—so much for technology.

Once I regained my wits, I called Tonya first, then Amy Dawson, whom I had seen doing strides 15 minutes earlier as I drove to my parking spot, to come get me. Scott and Amy brought me back to their house, where Tonya met me and, after a short while, took me to the ER. Big thanks to Elaine and Christine, who peeled me off the pavement, to Amy and Scott for rescuing me and bringing our car home, and to Tonya for everything. I have been a bit of a basket case physically the last few days, and I also need a lot of rest.

Happily, the CT scan didn’t show any problems with my head, but X-rays revealed a fracture in the distal pole of the scaphoid bone in my right hand. My left hand muscles were also badly strained. So now my right hand is in a splint at least until I can see the orthopedist on Wednesday, and I can’t grip much with either hand. Exciting new challenges in personal care! Opportunities to explore dictation systems!

Otherwise, my injuries are mostly a few bruises and some road rash, though unfortunately I somehow managed to scrape my face on the pavement, so looking in the mirror is a bit of a shock. At least the fall didn’t break my glasses or hurt the new tooth implants that I got two days before! Clearly, the universe has opinions about my late-in-life modeling career.

The practical upshot of all this is that I am somewhat out of commission when it comes to physical activity. I can’t grip things particularly well or lift much. I hope the left hand’s strained muscles will recover soon, but the Internet seems to think that I’m likely to end up with a cast on my right hand for six weeks. I’m sure I’ll be fine soon enough, and in the meantime, I’m confident that the many dedicated volunteers in the club will be picking up (literally) the things I won’t be able to do.

Anyway, I wanted to alert you all before you saw my facial scrapes at the picnic on Thursday, where I hope to be able to do the presentation with help from other board members and club leaders.

Stay safe out there!

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this (and wasn’t aware of it at the 5&10). I hope you recover quickly!

1 Like

Sorry to hear this :frowning: No wonder I didn’t see you at the 5&10. Please take care and wish you a VERY FAST recovery!

2 Likes

I think you are a great model for rolling (literally?!) with the punches of life. You have kept your sense of humor, though Tonya may prefer less activity related to the E.R.

See you at the picnic! I’ll buy you a beer. :clinking_beer_mugs:

1 Like

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Oh no! So sorry to hear this, I hope you’re recovery is coming along well

Honestly, it’s being slow. The trend is in the right direction, but it’s far from linear. I can have a good couple of hours, or even a day, and then get overwhelmed by mental fatigue. I’m going to try taking more outside walking breaks rather than naps on the theory that staring at leaves and getting the body moving will do me more good than collapsing on the couch.