Age for FLRC Challenge

@adamengst or @steve-desmond, could you clarify what happens when a runner changes age groups throughout the course of the challenge? I just ran the South Hill Rec Way course with Gabby Woo today. Does it count as two efforts for the 30’s group or one for the 30’s and one for the 20’s (her starting age when the challenge began but she’s now 30)?

From the rules:

Team Composition: There are five age group teams: 1-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, and 60+. Runners are assigned to the appropriate 10-year age-group team based on their age as of January 1st, 2021. Team assignments do not change if a runner ages up, such as from 39 to 40.

https://fingerlakesrunners.org/challenge/rules/

Because it would get weird if people were changing teams in the middle of the year. :slight_smile:

And here I was hoping I’d somehow weasel into a winning age group by hitting my 3rd decade! Ah, well… (:

1 Like

Ha! I had totally created this false memory of hearing/reading that people got to be part of both teams if they changed ages during the year. Darn!

We will claim you as an honorary Thundering Thirty’s!

1 Like

@gplwoo, you’ll have to settle for a bunch of individual 1-29 age group wins. But if you want to run fast, you could win some 30-39 age-group prizes too!

Runners who age up to a new age group during the year, such as from 39 to 40, may compete in both groups for age-group awards.

Ah, that’s what I had seen!