Beebe Lake Star Posts

Story

First run! The weather cooperated perfectly for @heathercobb3’s group run on the Beebe Lake course, with the rain stopping at 8:31 AM and starting again around 10:00 AM, after we were done. We had 19 people (including @Gretchen, who came after another class), and a good time was had by all. No Shop Local points because Heather brought personal pies and cookies.

I updated the RunGo directions with suggestions from the peanut gallery. :slight_smile:

Apparently, @ydeboer and @Sandy got nature stars too, but I’ll let them share separately. (Click through to the forum to use the Post Using This Template button above, if you’re reading in email. Once you get the hang of it, you can post via email too with the proper headings.)

Now if you go look at the Activity Log and check my run at the very bottom, you’ll see I have two stars, one for the group run and another for posting this.

1 Like

Do we get community points if we are stopped for directions by Cornell parents visiting campus? :smile:

If it’s a good story! Especially if you get them to sign up. :wink:

Story

Despite the forecasted rain, which just missed us, I had a great hike with Diana and Jami during the kickoff group run this morning!

1 Like

Story

My first run was with Michelle Woods and Amanda King on the Beebe Lake/Botanic garden course. Just as we were finishing the course we bumped into Anne Shakespeare and Ruth Sproul who were just about to start the course. What a beautiful morning for a group challenge run.

3 Likes

Story

Great to run the course Wednesday around 4:45. Fortunately the stairs off Judd Falls appeared to be dry. I did note a few Cornell Outdoor Ed classes on Beebe and off-Judd Falls trails but expect running earlier in the day would avoid that traffic.

1 Like

Story

Fun to run this course this morning with my friend Mary who just joined the challenge. We’ve run a similar route together a couple of times a week for years.

1 Like

Story

Thank you Run Go directions - without you I’d have been lost a bunch of times. This is so perfect for people like me who just want to show up, scan and run. Still … I did get lost a couple of times but since I learned last year not to go too far after any kind of turn without checking the map, I quickly got back on track. This is going to be my favorite route for after I deliver cakes to Cornell. Beebe lake was so pretty - reminds me of Walden Pond.

3 Likes

Story

Just ran my first challenge course with my SIL @lynsayayer who joined this year!

3 Likes

Story

Disclaimer: I tried running this course off of memory from the group run and did not use the RunGo directions. All errors and confusion are my own as I did not use the tools provided.

One of my meetings ended early so I decided to squeeze in a Beebe lake loop before another meeting. I had 35 minutes to get from Warren hall, around the course and back, which was a bit ambitious. I started at the parking lot below MVR (just across the footbridge from North campus) and headed out towards the botanic gardens. It was a sneaky warm day, and pretty quickly I realized it in fact was rather hot. I did a decent job finding the correct trails and made it to the botanic gardens. I had a bit of trouble finding the right trail towards the top of the hill as I stopped and looked at one off the same direction but a bit closer to the entrance. I realized looking down at it that it was in fact wrong and headed up the hill and found the right trail. I meet a couple of dogs out on their walk on the trail before hitting the road again. No matter how many times I run the big hill, I never find it any easier. I slowly made my way up the hill and slowed down to a walk while cresting it. I always feel like I need a break after this hill, but I didn’t have time to not make progress. I returned to running and looped around the botanic gardens. I realized as I made my way back to Beebe lake that I probably messed up the entrance/exit of the trail after the gravel parking lot, but I didn’t stray too far. I made my way up the stairs and some nice person in a car stopped so I could cross Judd Falls (I stared right around 5 so it was quite busy out). I made my way past people stalled on the bridge at the top of Beebe lake and then around. I squeezed past the canoes across the pedestrian bridge and up the big climb back to my starting point. I was quite hot and tired, but slowly walked towards Warren. I made it to my meeting (about 7 minutes late but it didn’t matter) happy with my run and in search of water.

3 Likes

Story

A misty run this morning with my friend Susan, who hasn’t joined yet, but I hope will soon join the challenge.

2 Likes

Story

The weather was gloomy and damp today, so to make my Challenge run more fun, I wore bright colors as you can see in my photo. I’ve worked up to running 12-15 miles per week, so I walked half of this one to save miles for other runs coming later in the week.

1 Like

Story

Just a few days ago I ran this and it was HOT! Today it was snowing!! I popped up here after work to deliver cupcakes for my nights/weekend business and grabbed a run. This time I still used Run Go but I pretty much knew where to go. I think I’ll rely on Run Go one more time and then manage to remember the route. I LOVE that you have this option to learn the route.

Shop Local

After my run drove down to Finger Lakes Running Company. BOTH my running shoes and my trail shoes need replacing, so today seemed like a pretty good time to do that. My child (Xander) was working so it was fun to have him fit me for shoes. I found a pair of road shoes and put in an order for trail shoes. I forgot to get a picture from this!!

Story

Time for me to venture away from Taughannock and try out some other courses. I paired this with a light grocery trip to Wegmans, which was convenient. A little trouble wayfinding but that’s mostly because I had RunGo audio muted on my watch. Once I pulled my phone out and used that, it was all good! Beautiful sunny skies, hardly anyone on the trails (it was 37 degrees, after all), and delightful running. I’d never run on much of this route, so it was really fun and felt like exploring!

1 Like

Story

I love all the variety on this course. Highlight today was admiring the skunk cabbages and little yellow flowers in the wildflower garden

Story

Mary and I welcomed Susan Barnett to her inaugural Challenge run. Hooray!

3 Likes

Story

Beautiful day for a run! Sun, flowering trees, happy skunk cabbage!

1 Like

Story

Holy crap that’s a beautiful run! After doing Lansing Center this morning, I decided to run Beebee lake before heading home, and it was amazing! I had to stop to take pictures a couple of times. 100% doing this one again

Shop Local

Now off to meet the wife and kiddo at Glennwood Pines for a much needed Pines burger.

1 Like

Story

I had intended to do the Taughannack Falls group run this morning but I slept in too late (oops). Instead, I ran to and from this course for my long run. It was my first time using the RunGo app and I think I went slightly off course and shortened the route by a tenth of a mile or so, so I’ll have to run it again sometime. It’s a nice course, especially with the perfect weather this morning.

Check out my activity on Strava: 7.6 mi Run Activity on May 1, 2022 by Daniel V. on Strava

Shop Local

I fueled my recovery with half an orange pistachio schnecken (kind of like a German morning bun) from Wide Awake Bakery, purchased the day before at the farmers market. 10/10. Highly recommend.

2 Likes