Story

IMG_3899
hi beautiful horse! nice day for a run

Shop Local

IMG_3903
Falafel Pita from On The Street Pitas food truck. yum

2 Likes

Story

A thoroughly enjoyable High Noon run (meet at the back of Teagle at noon!) with fellow Challenge runners @JoshB and @Tristan_Lambert (but without simultaneous sign-in, oh well) and not-yet-Challenge-runners @alex-colvin and @casey and @Simon_Ingall. We intersected the Beebe Lake course just below MVR, and then ran Beebe Lake clockwise and did the same once we were in the Arboretum. Lots of excellent conversation, but no wildlife sightings.

Story

Today we have such perfect running weather that after running the Long Loomis course this morning with the FLRC group, I decided to head out again with Ben, my partner, and run the Beebe lake course. The highlight was making friends with Bravo the horse… such a cutie!

2 Likes

Story

I am reveling in the beauty of this amazing spring we are having here in Ithaca.
The weather this morning was again ideal for running. Next time I do this course, however, I will have to make a detour to Rhododendron Knoll, just behind the Botanic Garden’s Welcome Center, which should be stunning in the next few weeks.

1 Like

Story

I ran the course again today… what magnificent weather! I obviously got lost before the staircase in the Wildflower Garden. That part is always tricky :smiley: I also saw @MattBish and a couple of other challengers on the course. Definitely a fun day!

Story

After a long work day, it was nice to run fast with good tunes and enjoy the scenery. I’m still getting better at selfies - next time I’ll change the “mirror” setting.

Story

We ran the course again today, and I was thankful that the sun was mostly behind the clouds, as I was still a little fried after running yesterday in the heat ! Anytime there was the slightest uphill, I walked. Today was my third day in a row running, which I probably shouldn’t do. But given that, it went better than I expected.

Shop Local

Stopped by Greenstar and bought root beer 'cause I felt I’d earned it

1 Like

Loving the photos, @ruth-sproul! I think it’s telling just how varied the views are on this course.

Story

Mary and I ran our “home course” again this morning but decided to run the course backwards and to make a detour into the Botanic Garden to check out Rhododendron Hill. Some gorgeous azaleas are blooming but the rhododendrons are not out yet…they probably need another week or two.

Super fun to “run” into @tonya-engst atop the hill in the “Plantations” section of the run. We enjoyed the flat and down hill section together before sending her off to Beebe Lake.

2 Likes

Story

I was having trouble getting moving today, so I walked the first bit, heading east. I stopped to stretch my calves, and then as I began to run, @caitlin-loehr and Mary came caught up with me. I was happily surprised and ran the rest of that loop with them. At the end of the loop, I felt much more awake and energized, and I continued running into the Beebe Lake loop as they scanned in to finish their run. I took a little extra time in the hill behind the summer house to look for azaleas and I think I marveled at the very same bush from Caitlin’s post today! Got home, did a lap in the pond, and now I’m at my desk feeling pleased with myself for getting out the door early.

This photo was taken on Saturday by Adam—we had popped into the Arboretum for a short stroll to check out the apple blossoms on the hill below the bell—that’s the hill below the very steep bit of hill on the paved road.

1 Like

Story

This was going to be my consolation run after a miserable attempt at the sweet 1600 on the Cornell track. But once I got going I decided I might as well give it some speed as I was by myself. Not too bad of an effort.

I do want to warn everyone again to be very careful when crossing Caldwell Road from the Plantations into the Wildflower garden and vice versa. The cars coming down the hill have a STOP sign but the cars coming across the bridge DO NOT STOP. Make sure to slow your run here to be safe crossing.

Enjoy this lovely course!

1 Like

Story

I ran this course again today, hoping to shave a few minutes off my time, and it felt good to push it.

Everything was lush after a spring rain. The highlights were a pair of goldfinches on Arboretum Road at the top of the climb, and the yellow magnolias nearby. Snapped a pic of the final pink magnolia blossoms (my daughter’s namesake) near the finish.

1 Like

Story

In an effort to get a last run with @CharlieF in before he decamps for France (and get him on the leaderboard), we met up at the Beebe Lake sign this morning. Before we’d even had a chance to set off, @Bwalters showed up too, so we chatted with him before heading out. Apparently @SarahG saw us crossing Judd Falls Road, and shortly after we finished, Bob came in as well. While we were chatting, @anne-shakespeare and @ruth-sproul appeared, making it a six-Challenger morning. Can’t imagine a nicer start to the day!

Story

IMG_4408
after a nice chat with Adam and Charlie, off we went for another go round

Shop Local

IMG_4415
Gorgers banh mi - might not have earned it but I want it !

Story

After a mile plus on the track, I headed to Judd Falls Rd to start this course by the wildflower garden to the arboretum. My brain/body was on autopilot and missed both turns onto the trails within in the arboretum (see track below).
When I finished, I took a stroll through the rhododendron hill and thought about a dear friend who passed away last year. This person was a ‘lab mom’ when I started my graduate studies and quickly became my friend. Ages ago, she suggested a group of us eat lunch in the rhododendron garden. I had no idea the rhododendrons were there and it was so beautiful! Grateful for the opportunity to spend a few minutes reflecting on our friendship and all the wonderful things she did for me.

As I headed back up the stairs to Judd Falls Rd I saw @adamengst on the course. Apparently, several of us were out there today. Hope you had a nice run fellow Challengers!

Shop Local

I’ll hit the Dairy Bar for a pick me up.

1 Like

Story

Rode in to Teagle to run at High Noon with @JesseKoennecke and @casey, so we picked up the Beebe Lake course below MVR, running the lake loop clockwise and the Arboretum loop counter-clockwise. We got confused briefly about how to follow the trail/field through the Arboretum, which was slightly embarrassing, but things look different in the opposite direction. And on our way back out of the Arboretum, we got to practice our “Cover the ground” greeting to @kristina.harrisonsav, who was heading in the opposite direction.

Is that the official greeting now when we see other FLRC members?

It seems easier than a secret handshake or @CharlieF’s suggestion of wearing brightly colored deely bobbers. :wink:

Story

Ran the Beebe lake course over lunch today. Not too many people on the trails but did pass @adamengst and a couple other FLRC members who were doing their own challenge course run. Even though this is my 5th time on the course I still need the run go directions to get to the part along the statue garden. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Story

Ran with Mary, @MDot, and enjoyed the cooler morning temps. We did see some goslings both in Fall Creek and at the edge of the parking lot on Forest Home Drive but they were far enough away that the Mama and Papa geese didn’t threaten us. Beware however of passing geese this time of year down on Beebe Beach, they are capable of being rather vicious when protecting their young.

1 Like