Brookton Hill & Dale Star Posts

Story

The conditions were ideal this morning for this course. Nice and cool (I was actually pretty cold for the first mile), no wind, beautiful sunny sky, and no traffic. Only around 8 cars passed me on the entire loop. Such nice views throughout! I definitely enjoyed this route more than last year’s Pseudo Skunk Cabbage course. I found it more scenic and relaxing, the ups and downs were fun, and of course it’s shorter, which I was happy about! Brookton’s Market doesn’t open until 10 on Sunday, so I missed out on that, but otherwise I highly recommend doing this one in the shady early morning. This was my 9th course, so Lick Brook is now looming large. Still not feeling ready for that!

2 Likes

Story

another overcast and coolish day, and Anne still needed this course, so I gave it another go with her. I like this course with all it’s surrounding hills, but by the end there was some groaning going on …need to increase my endurance

Shop Local

We got sandwiches and cookies from the lovely Brookton Market and ate them outdoors there, and the rain started just as we were finishing our lunch

2 Likes

Story

I wanted to do this run early in the day so that I could avoid the gravel spitting traffic and take advantage of cooler temps. I set off about 6:15 am from Brookton’s Market. The first mile felt deceptively easy being slightly downhill. Then I hit Middaugh Rd…It was a relief to reach Coddington Rd, which is also slightly downhill much of the way. The gravel seems compacted at this point, except on the edges. Nearing Ridgeway, I was reminded by a white blaze on a telephone pole, that the Finger Lakes Trail uses Ridgeway and Coddington Rds briefly. So this is an honorary trail run after all! By the time I hit White Church, I was ready to be done. I’m not used to long runs on roads, I usually stick to trails. The last four miles were hard. I walked a lot on the uphills and was very relieved to get back to Brookton’s Market!

2 Likes

Story

It was a hot morning and I was a little sore from lick brook yesterday but it was a gorgeous run. There was a nice breeze and the views were incredible. Feels good to have this one done!

Shop Local

Brookton market wasn’t open yet so I went to Gimme for an iced coffee and croissant.

3 Likes

Story

I started today’s running related activities not with this course, but by driving out to Hector to cheer on a friend from Syracuse in the Finger Lakes 50s. I chose the aid station to spectate at based purely on drive time but when I rolled in, who was there but @heathercobb3 ! There are some real pros to the small town lifestyle :slight_smile:

For my run earlier this afternoon, the sun was definitely beating down and I too regretted not doing it another time of day (would have been later not earlier, I am not a morning runner). So, huge thanks to the person in the house at the corner of Ridgeway and White Church who offered to let me use her garden hose!! With some water on my head the last 4 miles were much easier than I had expected.

This was my longest run since catching dengue and also since the Syracuse Half in March. I did walk two of the steepest uphills but overall felt good. On the mend :muscle:

4 Likes

Story

bright cool clear morning to run Brookton Hill and Dale. I kind of love this course

Shop Local

the Brookton Market was closed for the holiday, so I swung by Greenstar to stock up on coffee beans

and went home to make iced coffee in my Brookton Market pint glass

2 Likes

Story

Ugh. I don’t know what I was thinking when I decided to run this course today. I’m coming off the FL50 25K, my longest distance ever. But the weather was decent, and I wanted to get it done. I battled a lot of negative thoughts. I tried to distract myself with wondering what was around the next corner, noticing the houses I passed, and appreciating the shade and cool breeze when I found it.

I was NOT happy when running down Van Demark Rd, RunGo tells me that I am off course, and it will be 9.8 miles until I’m back on course. WHAT THE?!?! I knew that if I was indeed off course, it would NOT take me that far to get back on. It just felt demoralizing at the time. As it turns out, I was exactly where I was supposed to be.

Shop Local

After completion, I beelined to the Brookton Market (super charming) for a chocolate milk and breakfast sandwich. FYI the AC vent on the floor near the water cooler, and it felt amazing!!

2 Likes

Story

I saved the best course for last, as Brooktondale is my home turf. :smiley:
One of the nice things about living along the route of a challenge course is that you can just walk out your door and begin. So that’s what I did! It was a cooler morning and I had the time.
I started the webscorer timing on my phone (without using the QR code) and placed it in the back part of my mailbox on White Church Rd. and then I was off - doing the course backwards by choice.
An unanticipated fun part about doing this course backwards was that I began running into people, such as @raenb0, who were going the correct way! It was a nice lift - especially along Coddington Rd. to see smiling faces and check in with each other, “Challenge course?!” “Yes!” “Looking good!”
Then I bumped into the same people again over on Vandermark Rd. and Landon Rd. when we were all alllllmosssst done!!!
For me, this was getting it ALL done. This was my final course to complete in the challenge. With that, I give you my gratuitous chocolate bar/completion photo. (I highly recommend the organic Theo Coffee Toffee 70% dark chocolate bar for a post challenge treat. :wink:)

4 Likes

there and back again

Perfect morning for a hilly run with @abbycat84 and @maplejh - not too hot, nice breeze, gorgeous views. We passed @Gretchen both coming and going, and lots of friendly cyclists and walkers. This was my last course in the challenge and the longest road run I’ve done to date. I think I prefer trails for longer runs, I might have been cursing that last hill on Lounsbury Rd.

Brookton goodness

We enjoyed some very well-deserved breakfast sandwiches and coffee at Brookton Market.

3 Likes

Story

Very glad to meet up with @raenb0 and @abbycat84b to run this course together. The weather was just right, sunny but not too hot! What a beautiful area, we admired some of the homes along the way with porches and pretty gardens and views into the hills and valleys.

Sweet treats

Enjoyed a slice of quiche, rocky road dessert and a lovely iced coffee at the market afterwards!

3 Likes

It was great to see you midway on the course – congratulations on getting it all done!

1 Like

Story

With today’s run, I’ve run all courses at least 2x! It was a beautiful day for this run, and starting at 8a meant that I enjoyed shade for a good portion of it. I enjoyed seeing a lot of other challengers out today, and I think between Brookton and Treman we definitely had a quorum! I found this run challenging, as it was the first time, and I walked a lot of the uphill portions. Honey Stinger chews were my friend: I took a pair every mile past 5 and they kept me going. I really enjoyed finding a good pace for the remainder and was really grateful to be able to sprint out the last few tenths to get back to the market.

Shop Local

I enjoyed a free coffee and bought two bagels from Brookton’s Market for me and Amy to enjoy post-run.

We got home in time to clean up and turn around for a wedding cake delivery to Fontainebleau Inn, after which we found our favorite perch at Two Goats Brewing for a Beef on Weck sandwich and an X-IPA. Now that hit the spot! Don’t we live in a beautiful place? We really do!

2 Likes

Story

Today @scottpdawson and I planned to go to Brookton Hill and Dale to help him finish his 2nd round of the FLRC Challenge. I finished mine last week but was eager to join to closer to my 3rd. It was a gorgeous morning and because we started early there was plenty of shade on the course! I listened to an episode of Bad Blood: The Final Chapter as I ran and more of the Tim Ferriss podcast with primatologist Isabel Behncke as I ran.
I’ve not been liking the shoes I am in, so I switched to my Topos and gave them a go. I was pleasantly surprised that my calves and achilles did not hurt after the 10 miles. I switched out of them trying to solve that problem. I think it is a form problem and I’ve been working on form with my new yoga app that my sister introduced me to. So, while this was not a fast run or anything, it was a perfectly lovely way to spend a morning!

Shop Local

Afterwards, Scott and I enjoyed a bagel at Brookton’s Market under the tent before we headed home by way of a quick Wegmans trip before delivering cake and cupcakes for a wedding. It was a full day! Here’s the not so great picture of me after the run.

2 Likes

Nice job!! Great to see you out there.

1 Like

Story

Today I finally took on my 9th challenge course and longest run since the winter. It was a beautiful, if hot, day on the road and I was glad I chose to wear my hydration vest rather than carry a handheld bottle; I just wouldn’t have been able to bring enough water that way! Started out with my SIL @lynsayayer who had already run the course. Lots of friendly drivers — I took a note from @lizhartman and others and made sure to wave at each one (for safety as well as good will)! People were pretty consistent with getting over into the middle of the road when passing. The hills were a real challenge, and I walked parts of the uphills, while taking advantage of the extra speed on the descents.

Shop Local

I was so excited to check out Brookton Market and bought a delicious Aye Aye sandwich (scrambled eggs, cheese, salsa and guacamole) on gluten free bread, as well as an iced decaf latte. Sooooo good. I could have eaten two :slight_smile: Fun fact: for a few years as a little kid, I lived on Middaugh Road and used to walk to the store that is now Brookton Market to buy 5 cent popsicles!! It was about 30 years ago, but I remember making the dusty trek in the summer with a nickel in my pocket, then the cool relief of entering the store and opening the freezer box to select my popsicle (the kind with two sticks). I always got the root beer flavor. Glad to see the market is going strong, albeit catering to a healthier crowd now!

2 Likes

I generally wave to all drivers when running and cycling on rural roads. I started the habit because I’ve lived here most of my life, so I know a lot of people. Friends would say to me “I saw you out running and I waved to you, but you didn’t wave back.” Of course, it’s hard to see into most cars. So, I started waving to everyone, figuring that if I didn’t know them, I had probably met them, or met their kid or met their Dad, etc. I did notice that this has a good effect on my safety, too; cars tend to slow down more.

1 Like

Story

Being married to our Challenge Race Director, @adamengst, I hear about the Challenge most days—we have a ton of fun talking about it. One slogan of the Challenge I hear a lot is the “Cover the Ground” slogan on our shirts. This means you can walk, run, crawl, wade in the creek, or stop to eat a snack, whatever. You can double back if you get lost. The point is to cover the course. The other thing I hear often is “it is supposed to be a challenge.”

For me, running is mostly about being happy: Running through the woods on a sunny morning with friends, laughing and telling stories. Or effortlessly skimming across the landscape on a fall afternoon with my molecules merging with the scenery. Or feeling wildly alive while racing as fast as I can and outrunning expectations. But I can’t get to those feelings without work, and I’ve been working all year to come back from my herniated disc and subsequent surgery.

This run included some work and it called deeply on both those slogans for me. @caroline-brockner was my running buddy and she is a cheerful and steady runner—it was so much easier with a friend to keep me going. We walked the steeper uphills. Around 7 miles, Adam passed us on his eliptigo bicycle and he said that @Gretchen’s water stop was just a little way ahead. That “little way” was a tough mile—I was starting to flag with the distance and the heat.

The water stop was slice of heaven. Gretchen had her Challenge lawn sign up as well as a special FLRC sign. She had a cooler full of cold water bottles and ice packs—and beer—and a table with salty snacks. I drank one bottle of water and poured another one over my head. This felt amazing. One error was that I got my shorts wet on the inside of my thighs from pouring that water on myself, and that caused chafing later. Oops!

The 7.7-mile partial-Treman that I enjoyed running last weekend was my longest run so far this year, so the last few miles of this hilly 10.4-mile course were truly challenging for me. No single body part was hurting, but it got harder and harder to move myself forward. I could barely run down Vandemark road, and the last few yards back to the Brookton Market happened through willpower alone. That’s when I kept thinking “it’s supposed to be a challenge.”

I don’t need to do this run again anytime soon; I will leave that to @lizhartman who has been eating this run up like candy on Halloween night. However, I am now feeling like the Lick Brook Treman course might be possible for me. I’m planning to do it on the last weekend before the Challenge ends, so if I can just not get COVID and keep on running…

(In this photo, I want to put my arm around Caroline’s shoulder, but I am incredibly sweaty and it is hot in the sun, so I’m not quite touching her.)

Shop Local

I had an egg, cheese, and seitan breakfast sandwich at Brookton market. The seitan was an experiment. I already knew what it tastes like, and I was hoping it would be yummy in place of sausage. It was OK, but next time I will stick to the sausage. Adam and I stayed for a while to chat with Bill, a fellow Challenge runner, which was a lot of fun.

2 Likes

Story

B H&D was the final course of my Uktra Challenege effort. The rain stopped during the Loomis run an hour earlier and it started to warm up. I assumed I’d be heating up and walking a lot, what with 54-ish miles on my legs since 8:00 last night. Please excuse the typos and ramblings… I’m writing this on 36+ hrs of no sleep. Anyway, it was a real grind in my mind. I had to remind myself that running hurt kinkier than walking and even the slowest running pace is 5-7 mpm faster than average walking pace.

Scenery: 25-30 dump tricks roaring by on Middaugh and Coddington. (I think there’s a quarry nearby.); 1001 squash slugs and newts near the shoulder; Some stuff I know I hallucinated but I forget what it is;

That finish line QR couldn’t have come soon enough. I grabbed my wallet and stumbled around inside brooktons market like a drink deciding what to buy, since I took up a parking space while runnjng/shuffling and wanted to reciprocate.

Shop Local

Nuthjng looked appealing to Sat so I just grabbed a celebratory artisan or something Cola and sat for awhile to drink under the tent.a single Beer would’ve left me passed out cold be I left the premises, so soda it was.

Right now idk if this post is coherent at all but I’m too tired to proofread and I have hiccups now like crazy so I’ll just leave it. I’ll write a full write up sometime soon. Happy challenging!!

5 Likes

Story

I have been dreading a second run on this course because it felt so tough the first time. I parked at the post office. For motivation, I was planning to try to listen to music on my phone, but all I have for headphones are wired EarPods. I thought I had a plan to secure my dangling pod, but it didn’t work. I ditched them in my car and continued on my way.

I was in a negative mindset.

Then I started to think about how my yoga teacher starts class with landing, where you are, right now. So, that’s what I did. I acknowledged where I was and set my intention for the run.

This run felt so much better than the last time, and I ran the entire course. I do not like all the dump trucks on Coddington Rd. I was disappointed that my time was similar :confused: to my previous run, but I covered the ground and had a much better experience!

I just wanted to go home when I finished, so that is what I did.

1 Like

Story

I accompanied my friend Mary @MDot to help her knock off one more for the challenge. There have been so many nice cool morning this summer and this was one of them. We started out early to beat the heat, the sun and the crazy fast drivers. It was a nice steady uneventful run with good company. My legs were a bit sore from Forest Frolic yesterday but we weren’t going for speed today so it was lovely. We forgot to take a photo of ourselves but I did snap this one of a family of wild turkeys. Much more interesting, truly.

Shop Local

Sadly (?), we finished too quickly to pick up some snacks to share together at Brookton’s Market. I even remembered to bring my coupon from the Ithaca Guide to Being Local coupon book. But we were done by 8:45am and the Market doesn’t open until 9:30; we decided not to hang around. Next time!

1 Like