Duck Trail Star Posts

Story

more like, “Goose Trails”

Driving here this morning, I had to stop my car to let two families of Canada geese and their goslings cross the road. It was adorable, and the fluffy babies reminded me of my own fluffy yellow baby (a Labrador) waiting back at home.

I had a little trouble finding the start of the course, and used the RunGo map like a compass to find my way to the Challenge sign. Once there, it as really straightforward. The directions were fantastic @adamengst and came up right when needed.

The trees just started leafing out this week, so I was taking in the verdant glory of the woods.

I’m getting over a cold and have quite a lot of phlegm in my chest and sinuses, so I welcomed the chance to see the Andy Goldsworthy sculpture and clear things out :rocket:

The swampy areas felt like prehistoric semi-tropical zones, and the ferns and skunk cabbages were massive.

This was a fantastic course, which I look forward to running a lot more this spring.

Next year, I’m hoping my new pup will accompany me for the courses. For now, she has to frolic at home.

3 Likes

Story

Sapsucker woods are SO pretty right now! The foliage is the brightest shade of green. If you haven’t run this course yet, I highly recommend getting out there soon :slight_smile: This morning was warm after heavy rain during the night and it was almost tropical. Love it.

3 Likes

Story

Lovely morning after that storm last night. Improved my time using two strategies: not running 27k 2 days prior and, and this is the big one, working on my gate opening and closing skills. I figure that saved 1-2 seconds. I also listen to Adam and didn’t go into the apartments. Even if I could smell breakfast.
Note the famous egg.

2 Likes

A word of warning about the famous egg: it is not edible! :fried_egg:

The real question is if it will ever hatch. :nest_with_eggs:

1 Like

Story

First attempt at this course with @KimJ! Had to navigate some geese and their goslings right at the start and end. Didn’t make for a great total time but was a nice day to be on the trails!

3 Likes

Story

Purple Rules!
Headed to Duck Trails from Hammond Hill. Hard to pass this course by when in the vicinity. The yellow flowers that lined the trail a couple weeks ago are gone, replaced by purple flowers everywhere.

I only heard a couple of woodpeckers, and there were more trilliums in bloom! The run turned into a hike with many photo stops.

Saw numerous birds that I am unable to identify. The geese family at the first pond seemed to be reduced by two goslings from a couple of weeks ago, as I only saw one gosling with the adults. Perhaps there is a well fed fox thereabouts.

3 Likes

Story

Another Friday, another Duck Trails day! I encountered this group of Canada Geese with their goslings and another runner who warned me about break-ins in cars parked near the gates.

3 Likes

Story

Both kids and I walked Duck Trails this morning before it got too warm. They were excited to keep their eyes open for flora and fauna they recognized from their animal books, and they can probably name more bird calls than me. It was their first Challenge course completion as registered entrants and they both had a lot of fun!

5 Likes