Ellis Hollow Nature Preserve 2.3 mile trail

Looking for a short but challenging trail run that most people don’t know about? I’ve mapped out a course in RunGo that encompasses all the trails in the Ellis Hollow Nature Preserve near my house. It’s pretty, has some steep hills (up and down), and includes five rocky stream crossings (none of which have much water right now).

The trails are well-marked with red, yellow, and blue blazes, but what I’d really encourage you to try is the RunGo app for iPhone or Android. You can load the course into your phone and it will give you custom voice navigation directions as you run, just like Google Maps does for driving directions. Even better, if you have an Apple Watch, you can install the RunGo app onto it (in the Watch app on your iPhone, tap My Watch, scroll down to RunGo, and tap Install). Then when you load the route into your iPhone, you can also access on the Apple Watch, and the watch will speak the directions to you so you don’t have to carry your iPhone.

I think I’ve got the custom voice prompts in the right places. It’s a little hard to know for sure because I can’t see the trail through the trees in the route creator. But give it a try, see what you think, and let me know how it worked. The goal is to provide a resource that would let people who were otherwise intimidated about getting lost have narrated directions.

This is a lovely bit of woods with some challenging (but not-too-long) hills. The trails are all blazed, so you can’t go too far wrong, but Adam has done a great job of making a route so you can see all the trails (and stream crossings). There is a parking lot at the trail head that Adam shows, and there is also a trail kiosk about a quarter mile in, showing a trail map with the different “colored” trails.

1 Like