FLRC Tough Trail Challenge attempts

I’m going to be attempting this tomorrow, despite (to spite?) the heat.

Here’s my plan of attack, in case any other challengers want to join for one or more legs – DM me! I’m aiming for 9:00-11:00 pace, depending on the terrain and weather.

Location Goal Time Cut-Off Time
Duck Trails Start 7:00 AM 7:15 AM
Duck Trails Finish 7:30 AM 8:00 AM
Hammond Hill Start 8:00 AM 8:30 AM
Hammond Hill Finish 9:30 AM 10:15 AM
FH Fox Start 9:45 AM 10:45 AM
FH Fox Finish 10:30 AM 12:00 PM
Lindsay Parsons Start 11:00 AM 12:30 PM
Lindsay Parsons Finish 11:45 AM 1:30 PM
Treman Start 12:00 PM 1:45 PM
Treman Finish 1:30 PM 3:30 PM

I have a hard limit of needing to be home by 4pm to take over kid duty, so if I don’t make any of my cut-off times, I’ll be dropping the rest, as I doubt I could make up the time if I’ve already fallen that far behind.

The Trailipop will be ending with an @Ian -style creek crossing of Lick Brook to celebrate the finish, so mental note not to bring my phone on that leg!

1 Like

Now that’s dedication! Steve needs some real-world data to test his new code for the leaderboard, and what better way to get it than by completing the new FLRC Tough Trail Challenge!

Looks like he’s slightly ahead of schedule so far.

https://challenge.fingerlakesrunners.org/Athlete/Log/115406

1 Like

I just saw this and realized I saw you on Duck Trails this morning starting the attempt. I hope it went well!

2 Likes

After my first big race of the year July 20th I am looking to taking on this challenge. I am wondering what everyone thinks is the best order to run them in. My initial thought is to run them from longest course to shortest but that probably requires the most driving.

For me coming from the Elmira area the most efficient way to run them time wise at least would probably be to so Lindsay Parsons then Treman lollipop, followed by FH Fox, Taking on Hammon Hill second to last, and finishing with the Duck Tails which would be a nice relaxing way to finish.

What do people think about that order?

That’s the order I’m planning on doing it next time, I think it’s the most efficient driving-wise, and it splits up the 2 longest courses while not having one of them at the end :100:

1 Like

I think that would be a good way to do them. Lindsay-Parsons was very hot and buggy. Getting it done first thing while it’s still cool would be good. And I felt Treman was the hardest and most technical, so doing that while you are still fresh (physically and mentally, LOL) is a good call. FH Fox will be hot, not much cover on that one. But it’s fairly flat and easy. The initial climb at Hammond will be tough but at least it’s fairly well shaded so hopefully cool (be prepared for bugs that late in the day). And I highly recommend finishing with Duck Trails.

Make sure you have plenty of water! We went through way more than expected. Also recommend a bag of salt and vinegar chips!

Good luck!

1 Like

From your direction, my preferred order would be Treman Trailipop, Lindsay-Parsons, Hammond Hill Hoctathon, Duck Trails, FH Fox, and Cornell Dairy Bar! The driving distance is longer for that order but it avoids going through Ithaca traffic and follows a more relaxing country road route between courses. And if it is a really hot day, Fall Creek awaits midway through FH Fox!

1 Like