FLRC women’s roster for PGXC #1 on 9/17/2023

@pgxc-flrc The first race of the 2023 Pete Glavin XC series is Sunday, September 17, and it’s time to get organized! Below is what I have so far for the FLRC team. Please check that your name is listed (or not listed), and reply to this forum post (or contact me) if you need to change anything.

The race is a 5K at Bassett Park, at 359 Klein Rd, Williamsville, NY 14221. This is a different location from last-year’s Akron Falls “Buffalo” race. If anyone has raced at Basset Park (maybe long ago), please write back to tell us what the course is like! The post-race restaurant will be Simply Crepes in Canandaigua, at 101 South Main Street.

U19

• Ben Lambert

We may have a few more people signed up, like @Banyan_Tree, but they are not on the Google Sheet at this time.

Open

• Amalia Skilton
  • Laurel Gilmer (Laurel told me today that she is coming, but she’s not yet signed up)
  • Hannah Blair
  • Hope Towle
  • Molly Doruska
  • Sarah Ridenour

Ages 40–49 (Masters)

• Jessica Daily
  • Rebecca Lambert

(If we don’t get another signup before race day, we will run someone down)

Ages 50–59 (Super Vets)

• Julie Barclay
  • Tonya Engst

(If we don’t get another signup before race day, we will run someone down)

Ages 60+ (Super Vets and Ultra Vets)

• Anne Shakespeare
  • Laura Helmerick
  • Lorrie Tily
  • Sandy Gregorich
  • Marie Fitsimmons
  • Ruth Sproul

(One or two of this team may need to run down onto the masters or vets team to support our overall FLRC team for Buffalo, but we may get a few more signups before race day.)

What to wear & borrowing a jersey

Wear shorts that you like to run in. Blue or black works well, but some people like to wear something bright, like orange or pink. (Although I think it will be too hot, if you prefer to run in tights or capris, that’s fine too.)

For your shirt, if you already own an FLRC cross-country team jersey, wear it. If you do not, that is not a problem. I will have a selection of jerseys with me in fitted and straight sizes, and you can borrow one when you arrive at the race. There should be enough to go around, but they are first-come, first-serve. Just in case there are not enough in your size, bring a blue shirt to use as an alternate, just in case. You may have some older Ithaca 5&10 shirt or blue Challenge shirt that would work well. Or, just something that is comfortable for the weather that you like wearing when you run. (Although I think it will be too hot, if you prefer to run with a long sleeve shirt under your jersey, that is fine too.)

Open and older runners, if you have an older FLRC jersey from a previous style that you prefer to wear, that is fine.

Carpools & when to arrive & race day logistics

Adam and I will be organizing an FLRC/High Noon carpool in that will leave from the southwest corner of Cornell’s B-lot on Sunday morning early, at a time that we’ll announce later this week. Runners who live in downtown Ithaca or on West Hill can probably get picked up from a car that departs from the B-lot, typically from the bank parking lot next to Island Fitness. Stay tuned for that carpool email later this week so you can reply to it and get into a carpool. If you live in the Cortland/Groton area and can offer or provide a ride, reply to the carpool message later this week so you can hopefully get into a carpool.

The race starts at 11am, so I suggest you aim to arrive around 10am. When you arrive, you will need to pick up your number from the main race organizing table, and you can drop off your stuff and find team members at the FLRC tent. Extra jerseys will be at the tent; feel free to borrow one without me if I’m not there. Aim to get to the start line 5–10 minutes before the race so you can join the team cheer and hear announcements.

Directions & maps

The race is at Bassett Park, at 359 Klein Rd, Williamsville, NY 14221. Google Maps link. If you see a small GVH sign once you are near or in the park, follow it (GVH is the running club that puts on the PGXC series).

The course map link is here or you can view it below.

After the race

When you finish running, stick around near the finish line to cheer for teammates. People who are slower than you have been working hard at their races for longer than you and should be applauded for their efforts!

Do a post-race cool down jog with others on the team. Some runners will be trying to put in a few more miles, and other runners who will be happy to have run a full 5K distance, but everyone would benefit from at least a short cooldown jog before getting back in the car.

There will be post-race refreshments, provided by the PGXC series, such as bananas, oranges, energy bars, and single-serving chips/pretzels.

A half-hour or so after all runners finish, there will be an awards ceremony for individuals in their age groups and age-group teams that placed well.

Adam and I will be stopping at Simply Crepes in Canandaigua, at 101 South Main Street. to stretch our legs and grab a real meal, and we hope to see other team members there.

If you read this far and still want more info, see the FAQ.