Forest Frolic on July 28! More runners and volunteers welcome!

It’s time to sign up for the 2024 Forest Frolic 7K and 15K trail races on July 28! The classic Forest Frolic trail races take place on the beautiful singletrack trails through Kennedy State Forest in Virgil.

The 15K starts at 9 AM, followed by the 7K at 9:15 AM. Both races wind through shady woods with several stream crossings. The 7K (4.1 miles) is a loop with 700 feet of climb and lots of runnable flat stretches. The 15K (9 miles) is a figure eight that includes the 7K loop, has 1,700 feet of overall climb, and a unique “choose your own adventure” component that lets you choose which way you run the first loop. You can run the loop counterclockwise with a shorter, steeper uphill or clockwise with longer, more gradual uphill :slightly_smiling_face:. Either way, you end up at the highest point in the entire county! Both courses feature the famous “rock pile” and end with a fast half-mile finish down a flat logging road. Afterward, grab some beverages and watermelon and stick around to cheer your fellow runners at the finish!

Both distances are part of the FLRC Trail Circuit, and the leaderboard will be updated after the race.

If you prefer not to run, please volunteer! It’s a great opportunity to hang out in the woods with your friends, give back to the community, and cheer on the runners.

Because Frolic is a bit of a drive with limited parking, we suggest carpooling using our handy-dandy carpool sign-up.

Register now and get ready to frolic through the forest on July 28!

1 Like

Worried about the heat? The trails have a lot of lovely shade (Forest Frolic is very forest-y) and, even better, all participants will receive a cooling towel!

Don’t wait, register now so race directors have an accurate headcount for swag and headcount for the food team.

Hello Amy, I am interested in running this event but I noticed that you have age groups in 10 year increments but you don’t have one for the 80 - 89 group. Would it be possible for you to add that group? It would surely help to make us slightly more mature runners feel welcome if there is a group that we may compete fairly in.
Please let me know if this is something that would be possible
Looking forward to seeing you there, take care,
Robert Kern

Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

Hi Robert,

Thanks for reaching out. I’ll add the race directors to this reply for visibility.

@tpdady @me.runalot - Is it possible to add another age group to the race?

Sincerely,
Amy

Definitely up to @tpdady and @me.runalot, but @lgilmer added that age group for Robert at Tortoise & Hare, and I’m totally in favor of it. It’s great to add a little bit more incentive for 80+ runners to participate.

Afternoon

As a 70+ runner myself, it’s nice to see other older runners at races. We will add the 80+ group.

Pete

1 Like

Is this race still a go? Last I heard several roads in the area (Bleck, VanDonsel) were closed due the tornado damage. I imagine there is a lot of downed trees on the trails too.

1 Like

Hi @julie19,

Thanks for reaching out. I’ll connect with both the communications team and the race directors @tpdady and @me.runalot to learn more about the situation.

If the race is cancelled we will ensure this is communicated utilizing standard communication channels (i.e. E-mail to those that have registered, FLRC social media, and the FLRC forum).

Thanks for the heads-up, @julie19, and for taking this on, @FluteGirl24! I imagine @tpdady and @me.runalot need to get out on the trails to see how significant the damage is, plus talk with the FLTC trail maintenance people to see if they can help in time.

Dratted storms!

1 Like

I hope that the race can still be on, but if not, we would use the checklists that we’ve developed for Super Frosty Loomis and Twilight (?) to remind ourselves of what needs to happen. I am not sure if we ever used those lists to make a generic master list for communicating a cancellation.

1 Like

Both sides of the Rt. 392 took big hits. This section of Tuller Hill SF off of Carson Rd. used to be a nice dense forest on Monday. I’ll get out asap to check Kennedy SF.

2 Likes

Hi @julie19 and all,

I’m pleased to share that the trails for the Forest Frolic route weren’t severely impacted by the storms and the race will take place as planned.

A huge thank you to @heathercobb3 and this past weekend’s Forest Frolic race preview group run runners for giving feedback about the race route.

Hope to see you on the trails and happy running!

1 Like