Use this topic for posts that will collect community stars for the Inlet Shore Trail course. You can also ask questions or make comments about this course.
Here’s how it works.
Click the “Post Using This Template” button below to create a new post with a Story heading and boilerplate text.
Replace the boilerplate text with your report for one or both sections. The Story header is key for distinguishing between posts and replies—don’t change it.
Your post must be on the same calendar day as your run as entered in the leaderboard.
Story
To pick up a community star, replace this text with a write-up of what your run was like, a photo you took on the run, a link to your Strava track, or something similar. Don’t delete the Story heading above.
Theo and I completed our 7th stroller course here today. This is a good course for him because we usually get to see dogs in the dog park and ducks along Floral Ave.
At the end we stopped for a selfie by a Lost Cat. Theo spotted two other Lost Cats along the course, and I’m sure there are more that we missed.
which is about the only tempo I can manage anymore… but it was a beautiful evening, not too hot with a lot of people out, enjoying it on the path as well, many with dogs. Even the osprey and a flock of ducks thought it was good night to sit and watch the world go by … except for one odd duck at the northernmost part of the course…
Wild Things
Though I’ve done the Lakefront Loops portion of this course before, it was my first time on the rest of it, and I found it very interesting. I started where the Lakefront Loops course starts, since I planned to run that after finishing this one.
Lots of osprey activity in both nests along the Lakefront Loops portion and I pretty much just walked past these nests observing the ospreys. There must be chicks in these nests now and I did see two adults and another head in the back nest.
Returning and crossing the bridge, I noticed the four really cool tiled depictions of Ithaca gorges and falls on the bridge entrances that I had never seen while driving over it.
Learned about the canal history of Ithaca, saw the boat docks, and a giant dragonfly. I just wish even one of the 4 food trucks I passed would have been open! All in all, a very nice run!
Thanks to @SarahG and @Petorius for reporting that the trail on the lake side of Treman Marina is closed due to erosion. I spoke with Jim Brophy at New York State Parks, and he said they hope to fix or reroute it within the next week or two. In the meantime, if you’re going to run this course, just extend the distance at the end until it’s the right length.
I ran the rerouted Inlet Shore 10k again today, with the rain stopping just before I started. I think a suitable reroute to avoid the trail closure is to run the paved loop twice, which extends the “10k” to about 6.3 miles. You can see what I mean on my Strava activity map.
This purple Xs on this screenshot show where the barriers for the trail closure are.