Introducing the Virtual COVID-19 Mile Fund Run

Greetings runners!

The Finger Lakes Runners Club is hosting a virtual run to benefit the Finger Lakes Running Company—Ithaca’s only specialty running shop. The COVID-19 pandemic is hitting small businesses especially hard, and many will struggle to stay afloat without community support.

Ian Golden’s Finger Lakes Running Company has been a pillar in the Ithaca community for the past 14 years. Ian depends on his business to help pay the bills and support his family. 100% of the proceeds—every single cent—from this virtual event will be donated to the Finger Lakes Running Company to be used as needed while closed under the “New York State on PAUSE” executive order. Registration is now open on UltraSignup and you can find further details on our Web site.

When & Where

Run a total of 19 miles during the week of April 27–May 3. If 19 miles is too much, we also have 1.9-mile and 19K (11.8-mile) options. This can be on roads, track, trail, treadmill, a 1983 StairMaster 6000™, laps around your living room coffee table—it doesn’t matter! You can run the miles all at once or split them up between multiple days. Walk, hike, skip, or bear crawl if you don’t want to run. What’s important is that we are paying it forward and giving back to our community.

We encourage you to post pictures and a recap of your run to the FLRC General forum and social media. Take pictures, share stories, and use hashtags #RunGorges and #SaveOurShops. Video chat on the treadmill. Live stream your trail run. Let’s reach as many people as possible and have as much fun as we can while physically distancing.

We will be purchasing and awarding $50 gift cards from the Finger Lakes Running Company to 10 randomly chosen runners who complete the virtual race and submit their finishing time before 11:59 PM on May 4, 2020. Please see our Web site for the drawing’s rules and eligibility.

We hope you remain healthy and safe while still being able to reap the rewards that come with regular exercise.

Pete Kresock

Race Director, Finger Lakes Runners Club

1 Like

Kudos to @Petorius for an outstanding job of organizing the logistics - I followed the link, and the registration process was simple and seamless. (and I liked the added touch of allowing additional contributions to support Finger Lakes Running Company.)

Looking forward to it!

–Charlie

4 Likes

Vinny Cappadora from Happily Running has generously donated an additional $50 gift card for his company, which can be used for HR-branded apparel or toward a race entry. Check out Happily Running’s clothing designs and race schedule at.

2 Likes

How do you want COVID-19 virtual run results submitted?

Looks like you and Meghan signed up just after I sent everyone an email with a personalized link for results submission. Not a problem; here’s what you can do:

At UltraSignup.com, login with the name and password you used to register. Then click on the drop down menu in the upper right. From this menu, select “Registration History”.

You’ll see a screen that looks similar to this. Find the line with FLRC Virtual COVID-19 Mile Fund Run and click “Record Results”.

Answer the subsequent questions and submit your recorded time. You only have to do this once. If you split your run up over multiple days, just add your times together and submit the total. Follow the same steps for Meghan’s run.

I hope this helps. If you have any more trouble, let me know!

1 Like

Pete,

Recorded my results with no difficulty, though Meghan was registered as a “guest” and therefore does not have an account to access. She has walked the 19 miles over the course of the week, some of it in the office, and therefore does not have a measured time. Suggestions?

You should have just received another email at gvanloon@twcny.rr.com to remind you that Meghan’s results haven’t been entered yet. If that doesn’t work, you can give me her finish time and I’ll enter it on my end. No pressure to add her finish time either. If she didn’t recorded it, she can submit an educated guess or nothing at all.