Moving time in run-tracking services like Strava and Garmin Connect

My watch and Webscorer times match within a second or two for each run except Thom B.

It’s confusing, but Strava isn’t really dropping anyone’s time. Strava shows estimated moving time in the scroll feed. This doesn’t include time you are stopped (or when Strava thinks you’re stopped), i.e. a water or bathroom break. When you open an activity from the feed you can view detailed stats, including elapsed time. The elapsed time matches both Webscorer and my Suunto watch time, since I never stopped either timing device mid-run. Tagging a run as “race” in Strava will show elapsed time and elapsed pace in the feed instead of moving time and moving pace.

1 Like

Ah, that’s right—I’d forgotten about the “race” trick in Strava. Because I don’t run the distances you do, I very seldom stop during runs.

Do we know if the same true about the “moving time” on other services/devices? I know in the app I use it’s called “active time” and basically anything slower than 20:00/mile pace doesn’t count, so I can’t use that on the trails when I’m on the struggle bus up the hills.

Here’s what Strava says about “moving time”:

And here’s what Garmin Connect says:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=k5TPjwyAWi5f4hnObUAVf7

What other services do people use that use moving time?

I like the concept of moving time for biking, where you often come to a stop while waiting for a turn, or letting the rest of a group catch up, or just while getting off the bike before you could hit the watch safely.

But for running time I find it trickier, since it’s pretty unusual for me to stop during a run for more than a few seconds, whereas, as @steve-desmond notes, running up a really steep hill can make for a too-slow pace. Plus, all it takes is a GPS dropout for the watch to think you’ve stopped.