New resource for local trail running

Hi All! If anyone is looking for some nice trail running destinations or wants to branch out from the trails that are usually used for races in the FLRC, I would like to share a resource I’ve been working on for the last few months that encourages trail users to seek less-traveled trails in the region that are just as nice as the more popular ones.

As an effort to shed light on these underrated trails, I created a website that has (in my opinion) some of the best trails in the Finger Lakes and Central NY regions that offer the same great experience that people enjoy on the well-known trails, just without the crowds. I just published it recently and I think it could be a valuable resource for those who are tired of the crowds in places like the state park gorges and are looking for something different. With this website, it’s easy to find great trail experiences based on location, difficulty, and notable features (I know the website uses the term “hiking” a lot, but I think this is just as applicable to trail running). Many of you probably know about at least some of these trails, but between the 35+ destinations listed in a seven-county area, you should find at least a few new trails to explore. The furthest destination is a 70-minute drive from Ithaca, but a large majority of them are less than 40 minutes from Ithaca.

Here’s the link to the website, in case you want to check it out: https://www.trailslesstraveledny.org/

In the next few weeks, you can expect step-by-step RunGo directions being added to each trail in addition to the written instructions, so you’ll have no problem navigating through the wilderness areas of Central New York.

Hope this is useful to at least some of you. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions for new trails, site improvement, etc., feel free to message me on this thread.

Thanks!
Crosby

5 Likes

Impressive site, @crosby.woods! Thanks for letting us know about it, and I’ve also added it to the Newcomer’s Guide to Running in Ithaca.

This is a cool site with lots of information, and you obviously put a ton of time and effort into it. Thanks for sharing, and kudos on a job well done!

Thanks, @Petorius and @adamengst!