Run Rabbit Run Star Posts

Story

As with the 100k in April, I saved The Rabbit for last. As I write this I feel dumb for missing @scottpdawson’s detailed post about parking and trail access. It would’ve saved me a minor headache. But no, instead I rolled up to the upper lot and was surprised to see the whole thing blocked off. I don’t know my way around the course too well so I had to study the RunGo map, drive over to Gorge Road to park on the shoulder, scan the sign, and then run the detour back over to Gorge Road. Two and half hours to the 12-hour cutoff was plenty of time, but I didn’t want to be on those roads after dark, especially when Grassroots ended for the night.

I was able to scan the sign by leaning far enough over the chicken wire. When I turned around I found no signs or barriers blocking the Black Diamond Trail over to Gorge Road, so I ran up it assuming it had recently reopened. Wrong. Chicken wire blocked the end just before you step onto the road to cross. Sick of all the setback on today’s runs, I just plowed through the bushes off to the left, hoping for no poison ivy.

Two miles down the BDT I realized RunGo Rachel was giving me the silent treatment again like she did that morning in Brooktondale. I closed RunGo and all other apps save Webscore, restarted the RunGo activity, and voila! Back on speaking turns. Perhaps the voice cue problem depends on what other apps are open. Maybe other apps that use voice, like Google Maps. I’ll try to remember to test this theory next time.

I solved the RunGo issue while walking up that steep part of Kraft after leaving the BDT. As I was engrossed in the phone a Swarthout Coaches bus slowed to a roll and the driver yelled out asking if I wanted a ride. I guess he thought I was walking 5 sweaty miles to the Grassroots gate. Twenty years of running and it was the first time I was randomly offered a ride on a commercial vehicle line. I assured him I was “just out for a little exercise” and all was well.

Further up Neverendingkraftroad I wished I’d taken the free ride offer. That long stretch of road under the evening sun ain’t that fun. The song stuck in my head was one I heard on the drive up. Orville Peck and Allison Russell’s duet “Chemical Sunset” was all too fitting for the moment and in a weird way appropriate for all of America this week.

I do a pirouette in the chemical sunset
Come and see me, baby, it’s the end of days

I finished up the Country Loop, refilled my handheld at the car, and started off for the City Loop. Soon after, Hayley called with the kids to say goodnight, making for an extended walk break. The boys were amped to be staying at a hotel for the first time. (I’m going up to Syracuse the next morning to join them for a family weekend.) After the call I was reenergized and ready to start being done.

I ran down the sidewalk on Main Street dodging festival going pedestrians, then down South Street dodging cars, ‘til finally I made it to the titular Rabbit Run Road. Near the end of the road I could hear the festival music getting louder and louder. In an ideal world it would be Mavis Staples belting the soulful and angsty “Eyes on the Prize”. Instead it was something I didn’t know. (I checked the schedule later on. It was probably something called The Flying Clouds. Apparently I was half an hour too early for Mavis.)

I ran the last two miles quickly, making sure to finish before dark. I cross the final bring just before turning into the upper parking lot. Only 100 yards to the QR code.

“Hey, excuse me! Did they close the trails for the season?”

Huh?

An out-of-town family is asking me about trail closures and driving directions, yelling out their car window. Give me a break, I just want to be done. Not to be rude, I slowed to a walk and explained where to park for the trails that aren’t closed.

Finally, I can jog to the sign and wrap it up by leaning across the chicken wire in the nearly dead sunlight. Getting a good angle to scan the code was awkward to say the least. Walk back to the car on Gorge Road and at last it’s time to order some Taste of Thai Express.

I unintentionally made it close to the 12-hour limit, but not a nail biter like for the Tough Trail Challenge. I was hoping to break 5 hours cumulative like I did for the Tough Trail, but 5:20 is good enough given the additional 6-ish miles and added logistical difficulties. Anyway, I’m glad to get it done. Now hit “reply” at 11:59 p.m. to get that community star!

4 Likes