Run Rabbit Run Star Posts

Story

Wow! What a glorious morning for Run Rabbit Run. I probably shouldn’t have pushed myself just two days after a grueling attempt on this course BUT I just had to take advantage of the cool, dry morning. I felt soooo much better than on Wednesday and actually enjoyed the course. And RunGo worked like a charm this time so I didn’t have to constantly be looking at my phone, plus the course was fresh in my mind from Wednesday’s run.

I foraged for some post-run refueling on the BD trail:

I’m looking forward to these improvements:

1 Like

Story

Driving out on 96 to meet @kimj at the trailhead, the light rain turned into a strong downpour, making me wonder if running in the rain was really going to be fun. Twenty minutes later, half soaked to the skin, but keeping cool in light rain, I knew it was going to be fun. We ran the second loop first, working our way through downtown T-burg and returning on Rabbit Run. We were both feeling a bit unsure about if we could run 11 miles without stopping to walk, but toward the end of the first loop we were feeling a bit self-congratulatory - especially as we enjoyed the downhill on Rabbit Run.

We decided to avoid long uphills on pavement, so we ran our second loop of the figure 8 backwards, while continuing our lengthy discussion of life, the universe, and everything while taking in scenic meadow views and marveling at the miles rolling by. Even so, when we made our final left turn onto the Black Diamond trail with 2 miles to go, my legs felt a bit wobbly. Still, all I had to do was run straight, I thought, for 2 slightly uphill miles on the easiest trail imaginable. Little things got a little bit hard, like road crossings and quite a few large puddles in the trail. We kept up a steady patter of encouraging chit-chat and soon enough we were back. It was a very successful, and not too hot run. Next time, I will set my selfie camera to not do the mirror image thing!

6 Likes

Story

Per usual didn’t get out as early as I hoped, however did absolutely enjoy my first “long” run since my marathon :smiling_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::running_woman:
This being my second attempt on Run Rabbit Run, (and knowing it was going to be a hot& humid day) I decided to run the course in reverse, saving the shaded black diamond section for the end.
Immediately ran across a few fellow Challenger’s completing the course :smiling_face::heavy_check_mark::wave:

I think I did enjoy running it in reverse a bit more. Not​:thinking: sure why, just seemed to flow better for me :woman_shrugging: anywho, more miles down :smiling_face: and sweaty long run complete :grin:

1 Like

Story

I packed an ice cold bottle of water and a small container of saltines for Rabbit Run nourishment this morning and off to T-burgh I went!
On the first part of the Black Diamond Trail, I jogged past a lady who laughed and said I had more energy than her. I chuckled and responded, “We’ll see!” because I was just starting out! There were some lovely Nearly Wild Roses on this part of the trail too. (I think that’s what they’re called.)

Trail was a good opportunity for me to get to know the roads on this side of the county better, as I’m from Brooktondale. I mused that this area, with its long straight roads along flat farm fields, felt like the true beginning of western New York.
Ahoy! PortaPotties!
Due to the upcoming GrassRoots Festival there are now more PortaPotties on the Rabbit Run course! I spotted a row of them in the campground field behind ShurFine as I approached Smith Woods. And then, coming back around the other side of T-burg on Rabbit Run Rd. near the gate entrance to the oval track, there is another row of PortaPotties. The gate to the track is currently open, since the fest hasn’t begun yet. Luckily I didn’t need their use, but some other trail runner may find them convenient.
The area around Smith Woods offered a welcome drop in temps with its shade and a nice breeze. Ahhhh…
And I found that I never realized just how bustling T-burg was until I was making my way down main street. Some of the bustling of the town may have been due to the Grain Bin Flea Market taking place at the fairgrounds this morning.
After I completed the course, I made a visit to Gimme Coffee in the center of town for some nice air conditioned sustenance.
Another course done. Just two more to go for me to complete the Challenge. Woop! Woop!

3 Likes

Anyone know if it will be worth it trying to run this course during Grassroots weekend? Like next Friday in the evening? What about access to the T-Burg track during that time? @scottpdawson

I’m trying to find a good day to run the Tough Tarmac…

Totally doable! You’ll need to be aware of cars on rabbit run, but the road is open. The Trumansburg track should be open too. It’ll definitely be entertaining!

2 Likes

Story

Today was my first time running this course in reverse order (starting by going up Rabbit Run). Even with the heat at 5pm, I was feeling great and making pretty good time. At around mile five, coming down Falls rd. my wife called and said that my mom was at the house for dinner an hour and an half early. I had to cut my run short at the halfway point and head home.

After dinner, and after dark, I headed back out to finish the Jacksonville rd./Kraft st. half of the course. It was a beautiful night. The stars and the fireflies were out and there was a cool breeze the entire run.

When I got back to the parking lot, I was greeted by two police officers. They politely asked if I had been out on a run and wished me a good night.

I didn’t log this run on Webscorer, because I had to break it up and I wasn’t sure if it would count for challenge miles. Can someone clarify that for me?

2 Likes

The trick for pausing and then restarting a run is that it has to be in the same “session.” So you can submit it to Webscorer, but your time starts when you started the first half and finishes when you finished the second half—including the several hours of dinner. In essence, you get credit for covering the ground, but with such a slow time that it won’t possible mess with any other results from you having rested thoroughly in between.

I’ve added this to the No Pausing rule for clarification.

It’s a bit like @patrickmilano’s mile session, in which he accomplished a sub-4 running time by resting between 100m or 200m sprints, but his Challenge-compliant time was the elapsed session time, or 34:43.

1 Like

Got it. That’s what I figured. 5 hours and 37 minutes it is! Thanks!

1 Like

July 15 through ~July 22 a short segment of this course will be closed. I imagine an acceptable reroute will be to connect from BDT back to the Jacksonville lot by running Gorge Road for that brief stretch. Redirecting...

1 Like

Thanks for the update, Scott, and yes, rerouting on Gorge Road and Jacksonville Road will be an acceptable alternative. It’s a touch longer, so I recommend anyone running for time wait until the Black Diamond Trail is open again.

Good to know. That week might be my only chance to run the Tough Tarmac and now it’s even tougher with that extra 0.15 miles.