Six Mile Creek Star Posts

Glad to hear it, @Wendy! There are actually even more trails back there if you want to explore, but I couldn’t put them together in a coherent way that everyone could follow. (There was one cliff in particular that was going to be hard for most people to navigate.)

And yeah, ignore the “top of the climb” comments from RunGo. They’re automatic—I didn’t add them—and they’re often wrong.

PS: I added a “## Story” tag to the top of your post so you get a community star for posting it too. The system needs that to differentiate between someone doing a run post and replies this this that are independent.

Story

Today is my wedding anniversary. I tried to convince my husband to do a @scottpdawson and @amy-dawson -esque anniversary celebration of walking 23 laps together on a track. He wasn’t on board, so I had to go with Plan B.

Time is running out, and I still have 3 courses to go. I was debating between this or the Lime Hollow Course, and Six Mile Creek won.

I’m still restricted to hiking/walking. As soon as I started, I wanted to run so badly, but I also want my foot to heal. For the first bit, I listened to a mocha slosh in my stomach.

I really enjoyed the single track portion of this course. It was muddy in a few places. I had my new trail shoes on and was hesitant to embrace the mud. How do others like to break in new shoes? Would you prefer they stayed looking spic and span or do you want them to look like you’ve put mileage on them right away?

Thanks @Petorius for bushwhacking the overgrown part of the trail!

Sometime during mile 4, my foot started to feel irritated, so I backed off a little. I was surprised how long 6.4 miles felt. It wasn’t too long ago when it was no problem for me to decide mid run to complete a 10K.

Sometimes in a marriage, you have to divide and conquer. This morning I dropped our kid at camp and was able to complete a course while my husband ran an errand for our hobby farm. Now we are off to spend time together and celebrate our marriage.

2 Likes

Congratulations on ticking off another course, dividing and conquering, and a very happy anniversary to you!

Happy Anniversary to you two!! Congrats on doing another course, listening to your foot so it will heal, and most of all I hope you had fun celebrating 23 years!

Story

A lovely humid late morning hike. :blush:

Matt and I set off a bit late this morning and worried about storms rolling though, but we stayed dry …:sweat_smile: Well, we didn’t get rained on, dry we were not :rofl::sweat_drops::droplet: very sweaty :hot_face:

Another one off Matt’s list. Just the sweet 1600 & Blueberry patch left to go :grin:

3 Likes

Story

I wasn’t able to get out for the group run today, so I decided to try a second go at a shorter course. Still feeling the effects of running in 85 degree midday heat this week, I was cautious about overdoing it. I brought 1.5 L (about 50 oz) of water mixed with some liquid IV packets and honestly, could have used even more. I keep reminding myself that this will all pay dividends in the fall with the increased blood volume from heat training.

Having run this once before (and another South Hill Rec way challenge course in 2021), I remembered what a slog that final subtle uphill to the playground can be. This time, I parked on Coddington Rd and started at that gate, turned left down the steep paved hill at the playground and followed the rest of the course as written. This meant I had one blissfully straight downhill stretch from Burns Rd to Coddington to look forward to at the end. Loved it, highly recommend!

After all the heavy rains these past two weeks, the trails were muddy and the creeks were full. Someone built a well-meaning bridge that I skirted, as it looked like a twisted ankle to me, but probably is quite helpful for those walking across.

The first major section of trails is mostly uphill, which felt twice as hard today in the heat and humidity. Once the path dipped downhill during the second loop off the main Rec Way through fern-lined single track, I caught myself dreading the next uphill rather than enjoying the speedy respite. As solo running often does, this prompted some deeper reflection: I often fall into this pattern of anticipating the next hard thing, even when things are going well, rather than appreciating the goodness of the moment. I challenged myself for the rest of the course to be mindful of this tendency and to reframe: each time I got to a downhill, I soaked it in with joyful relief, and didn’t let knowledge of future uphills cloud my sunshine.

Once across the creek at the bottom of the second loop, the mud really picked up. I was wearing my new trail shoes and thinking about posting that it was the perfect way to christen them. Then, I read @SarahG’s post afterwards and saw her asking the very question! I am all about going for it (with trail shoes — I do like to keep my road shoes looking cleaner).

The rains also produced humid conditions for these dangerous looking fungi. Someone had been munching the big one, which evoked a scene from Alice in Wonderland. Did they grow? Shrink? (Perhaps the dehydration was getting to me at this point).

At the end of the second trail loop, I had to push past shoulder-height wildflowers and meadow plants, while ducking under archways of blackberry. The weed whacking was appreciated, and I think a brush hog would be especially helpful now!

Once back on the gravel path, it was a fast 2+ miles downhill to the finish! I saw twin fawns on the path, and their mother in a nearby ditch eating berries.

On the way out, I also saw human twins in a ditch eating black raspberries. It was a very Blueberries for Sal moment :slight_smile:

I think I also passed @mplank and Matt in their hiking gear a couple of times on the trail? Kudos for braving the heat & humidity!

I finished up quite hot and tired, but feeling triumphant that I 1) didn’t pass out and 2) managed a faster time, despite the heat. Also, I think I broke in my shoes nicely.

The way back I was envisioning my next meal and settled on a Tex Mex bagel from CTB (this is scrambled eggs, melted cheddar, and fresh salsa on a bagel). Salty, chewy, sandwich perfection. I ate the whole thing in the CTB parking lot before I turned the car back on :joy:

I don’t know how folks managed an 11-mile road course today, but I do hope they stayed hydrated! I’ll try the last few longer courses on some (hopefully) cooler mornings.

3 Likes

You sure did :grin:
I made a bet with Matt that you were running the course
:wink: :+1:
Well done!
Cheers :smile:

1 Like

It was actually quite different weather in Lansing, so while humid, it wasn’t sunny and @heathercobb3 had a halfway water stop. It rained hard on the way home, but when we turned of Rt 13 onto Rt 366, it was completely dry—all the rain was further north.

2 Likes

@heathercobb3’s water stops are heaven-sent! That sounds really pleasant, I’m sorry I missed it!

1 Like

Story

I ran this course today in the rain early enough to start with a headlamp. On the blue-blazed singletrack on the west end (closest to Burns Road) I ran into a guy who was out weed whacking the trail and cleaning up the section I’d cleared only 2-3 weeks ago and since became overgrown again. The man, Joe, (I didn’t get his last name) told me he’s not a runner or hiker but lives nearby and wanted to clean up the trail. Kudos to him for making this route easier to run!

4 Likes

Story

Following my break from running due to persistent ball-of-foot pain, armed with new insoles and metatarsal pads, I have resumed my attempt to still complete all the challenge courses with Six Mile Creek.

It was an absolutely beautiful weather day, and I took the course as easy as possible, managing (barely) to avoid slipping in the mud and stopping for a quick blackberry snack #electrolytes.

The problem foot seems no worse for wear, so I’m hopeful I’ll be able to do the remaining courses in the next couple of weeks!

4 Likes