Six Mile Creek Star Posts

Story

Looking after a friend’s dogs so seeing as I still can’t run I decided to take them and a friend to explore this course. Pretty hot and sweaty but loved discovering more of the side trails in this area!

1 Like

Story

Even though we missed the group it was still a beautiful day for a run. Next time I’m going to consider swinging on the swing my cool down. :rofl:

2 Likes

Story

Canadian wild fires = bad air quality

Anne and I did a slow tour of Six Mile Creek

Story

Erin’s school has a program called the 100-Mile Club, and over the course of a year students have the option to run laps during recess to reach milestones (25, 50, 75, and 100 miles). Well, we’re in the home stretch with the deadline on 6/14, and she’s been hustling to get those extra miles in the reach 100, though air quality issues and rain haven’t been helping.

Her P.E. teacher also accepts races and courses from the FLRC Challenge (I talked to her about this), so I did some number crunching and had a serious talk with Erin about some serious miles yesterday. So today she and I covered two courses, Black Diamond and Six Mile Creek, for a total of 15.11 miles. Looks like Monday will be all rain for us, meaning another no-run day, which is why I built in two extra miles today for contingency! :joy: :sob: And why we plan to run the Twilight 5K on Wednesday evening.

The Six Mile Creek run/hike was lovely, and ironically I had on the same vest I wore here two years ago when I lost my car keys and my husband had to leave his invited speaker and drive in from Vestal with the kids with the spare key. (So out of principle, today I did not put the key in that vest pocket.) While the rail trail was familiar, the singletrack trails here were new to me, and I really enjoyed the first loop (the second was a bit overgrown near the end). We saw a pair of pileated woodpeckers, which was a real treat. And after already completing 8 miles for the Black Diamond course, Erin was a real trooper on the uphills, handling them with little complaining and like a pro.

2 Likes

Good job, Erin! That’s a lot of miles to cover in one day.

The real question is if you found your old key. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha no… I’m sure by now it has become part of the future geological record. A few million years from now, an archeologist may discover this artifact in a paleosol and realize it came from a kind of vehicle ancient hominids used to drive… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Erin is now in the home stretch for the 100 Mile Club, starting these last remaining days with 96.28 miles. Fingers crossed about weather but I have another contingency run planned, just in case! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Story

We had a great time running this beautiful hidden gem. No better way to spend your day than with great friends!! Thank you Monika and Carrie for the company!!

IMG_0292

2 Likes

I love that you took the time to explore the teepees.

1 Like

Story

@lynsayayer and I did this yesterday but I forgot to post then, so no community stars for me, but I’ll still share a story & pic.

This feels like my “home turf” course of this year’s batch. I love the single track trails out here and was excited to see them in the Challenge! We even went to one trail I’ve never explored before— the second loop off the Rec way— but did not love having to run through all the tall grasses that have overgrown the path. All I could think was “ticks, ticks ticks!” Thankfully, we did not appear to catch any hitchhikers, but I definitely hustled out of that portion of the woods!

The stream was a beautiful vignette and the fresh, cool air a welcome change from last week!

I think if I run this again, I may start at Coddington Rd, then turn left at the playground and run it as listed, finishing with one straight (downhill) stretch from Burns Rd back to the Coddington Rd gate. I, like @heathercobb3, remember what a slog it is to run back up the rec way to the finish.

I really enjoyed the mix of trails here (actually, would do more trails, as the gravel path always ends up in my socks).

2 Likes

Story

I wasn’t sure how this one would go with Simon. The closest he’s done to jogging this distance was last year’s Inlet Shore 10K (but that one’s all flat), and Hammond Hill (but that was less than 6 miles). Luckily his pure enthusiasm for doing these courses carries him a long way. He loves looking at the map ahead of time and anticipating each RunGo instruction, and celebrating every little milestone (“in a quarter of a mile, you’re halfway there!”). And he has lots of hiking experience so his little feet are pretty nimble on the trails.

We walked a little bit on the steepest parts, but for the most part, it was a slow and steady jog. (Note- if you haven’t run this course yet, I’d suggest running it soon before the overgrown spots get more overgrown! Thankfully, those spots are pretty short.)

He was definitely tired on the last half mile, but there was no stopping him at that point. We talked about how the Challenge was supposed to be challenging, and this was the perfect challenge for him.

4 Likes

Story

I picked a drizzly, humid morning to tick this course off! The trail was beautiful, as always, despite the weather. I ran past @dianahackett twice and we waved and laughed. I didn’t get a photo due to the wet conditions. My feet were squelchy by the end, thinking of all the FL50 runners out in this today!

2 Likes

Story

it was muggy this morning, making me feel kind of sluggish -then when I finished the run and made it back to my car this slug was there waiting for me

4 Likes

So much detail…that’s a great shot!

Story

Another bright & early run on what I’m considering my home course. The singletrack was wet and wild after last night’s storm. Several small streams were flowing hard with mud and standing water abound. I spotted several deer chillin’ trailside and careened down small mudslide only to be greeted by a wild turkey who appeared to be having a good time. The trail back up to the Rec Way (at about mile 3) is becoming a little overgrown, and the heavy, wet briar vines tore my legs up pretty good. (No ticks though so all is well!) I finished at the gate on Coddington and was greeted by a yellow snail creeping along the rail.

2 Likes

Story

The South Hill gorge was calling my name
Slick rocks did their damnedest to maim
Big briars drew blood
And there was myriad mud
Tomorrow morning it’s more of the same

3 Likes

Story

Now that I understand that the real thing to whine about as a runner is not the heat but instead the AQI, I was grateful to be out on the trails on a steamy afternoon with @gumbywhale. I think I sweated out over a liter of water.

2 Likes

Story

Another bright and early run through the gorge before the kids are awake. Recent rain added a decent amount of mud to the singletrack portions went of the Big Curve, but it’s still all runnable.

I got tired of tearing up my skin and getting soaked near the end of the mini blue loop (about 4 miles into the course of you run it the way the Web site says.) I went back in the evening with a weed whacker and hiked in from Burns to clean up the overgrown section. It’s much more passable now. Hopefully a few more people will run this course now that it’s a little easier!

8 Likes

That’s so awesome of you, Pete! Thank you!

Appreciate you doing this!

Story

I loved this run! I always thought the South Hill Rec Trail was boring, but apparently that’s because I only ran the boring parts of it… :slight_smile: I did get lost a few times–it was my first time using the RunGo app, and I liked it a lot but every time the app said ‘you are at the top of the climb’ or anything about elevation, it seemed to be wrong and threw me off. But now I know where to go! Great route.

2 Likes