Sweet 1600 Star Posts

Story

I was visiting family and friends in the Hudson Valley this weekend so I visited my alma mater, Red Hook High School, and walked the Sweet 1600 twice with my friend, Linda. There’s a nice view of the Catskills from the track. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice to have a Challenger back in Italy, though I hope they’ve forgotten about @Benedetta_Carnaghi hopping fences. :slight_smile: From at least the Trevi Fountain, your distance is 4323 miles, taking over the distance lead from @amalia.

I was able to get Jodi to join me this time in Bologna to another track. This one is called Campo Scuola Baumann. The track itself was in a bit of disrepair, but it has a nice covered seating area, shot put and javelin area, as well as a clean public bathroom. It is a hot humid day, so that tempered things a bit but we both put forth a decent effort and I think Jodi was close to a PR on her mile.

2 Likes

Started the FLRC challenge with a sweet 1600 in Bologna, Italy. All the pasta and gelato I’ve been eating the past few days was making it really hard to want to get out and run. I missed out running in Rome and Venice so I decided I just needed to get out there. Damian found a track just under 2 miles from our hotel. Now time for more gelato!! :blush:

2 Likes

Story

In Toronto, Rebecca and I found the weird rectangular track Adam and Tonya ran on previously. Concrete, two lanes, nestled between skyscrapers.

4 Likes

Great work, Jodi! Not quite as far as Rome, at 4178 miles from Stewart Park, but worth it for the gelato alone, I’m sure.

Whoa — this might be the first remote track second visit in Challenge history! @tonya-engst and I ran this track on June 1, 2022. If I had to live in Toronto, I’d want one of these apartments.

2 Likes

A delayed post from Annecy, France - May 7, 2024 from Caitlin and Jamie Loehr

Bonjour à tous de Annecy, France! Jamie and I were delighted to find an open track to bag a Sweet 1600 while still in France. We spent last week in Paris but could not find a public track. We did run to an incredible track right next to the Eiffel Tower but sadly it was only open to the public on Sunday mornings. For your viewing pleasure, I’ve included a few extra photos from Annecy.

4 Likes

Well, that’s gorgeous! I find it fascinating how these vacation photos show lovely scenery from other places, and then the utter familiarity of a track, most of which are the classic red. (@Tristan_Lambert’s yellow track at Berkeley was just wrong. :slight_smile: ) Although a good entry in the farthest from Stewart Park competition with 3909 miles, @DamianClemons is still in the lead with his track from Rome.

1 Like

I think the idea of a track-side apartment is so cool. So fun that you found the same track!

2 Likes

Story

I was visiting Okinawa, Japan’s southernmost large island, for work. On my last day (Friday), I found a 400m track right next to the East China Sea. I was tired from some speedwork on the days previous but decided to put in a 1600. Afterward I said hello to the goats, who have a nice view of the sea, and watched some infield practice at a baseball stadium right next to the track. Made it back to my hotel, and to the airport, just in time to make my flight.

4 Likes

@Tristan_Lambert already made the first repeat remote track visit :slight_smile: I hit the terrible yellow Berkeley track in 2023, but I didn’t finish the 1600 because the track closed:

He is now at two!

1 Like

Oh wow, @peter.i.frazier has thrown down a serious challenge for travelers this summer. His track is roughly 7417 miles from Ithaca, well beyond @DamianClemons’s Roman track.

Hmm, what other remote tracks will @Tristan_Lambert hit next? At the group run today, @tonya-engst suggested that we figure out a way to create a map with all the tracks we’ve run represented with pins. I’m pretty sure Google Maps can do that—I’ll have to look into it. That would make visiting remote tracks for a second time easier.

1 Like

Story

I found this track in Chicago in the winter on a long run so I decided I would do a 1600 on the track so long as it wasn’t too far away from my starting point. The track was about 3 miles away, not too far away, so I did a quick 1600.

3 Likes

Story

Vacationing on Cape Cod this week. Biked to Nauset Regional High School to test out my calf. I injured it a few days ago. Unfortunately it is still bothering me. So, I just jogged walked a mile. Looking forward to trying again in a few days.

3 Likes

Story

Thought I’d get this one out of the way this morning I’m on 5/10 now completed. Still need to get up sooner to beat the heat and sun though ooooof! :melting_face:

Popped over to the Newfield track on my way to the post office this morning. Speed is sooooo not my strong suit, but I’m slowly but surely getting better and did my best on this one considering I haven’t been running a ton lately…cooler mornings (if I can ever get out bed early enough :joy:) or nights will be ideal to try again for a better time. I might even try to find a different track while I’m traveling this summer and see what I can do?

3 Likes

That’s lovely—but a mere 337 miles from Ithaca. I somehow always thought Cape Cod was farther away.

Yes. The drive here was nice. I think if we were to run here, we would appreciate the distance more.

1 Like

Story

Earlier today while walking around my property to get some steps, I decided that I would put in some laps on the Tburg track during my daughter’s softball practice this evening. Unfortunately, my Garmin did not get a good satellite lock and my splits were WAY too fast to be true. I walked some warm up and cool down laps, so I definitely covered the ground. In Webscorer, I added 90 seconds to each mile.

2 Likes

Story

I opened my summer racing season tonight at the Charlie McMullen Mile in Rochester. Due to some persistent foot discomfort over the past few weeks I’ve dialed back my training quite a bit, so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. My game plan was to start conservatively and then really race the last lap.

I jogged a couple of miles, put on my spikes and did a few strides, then lined up in the stacked sub 5 heat (literally stacked in two rows on the waterfall start). The gun went off and my brain clicked into racing mode.

I sat near the back of the pack for a bit and then moved up a spot or two whenever I felt the pace was going to lag too much. With 500 meters to go I felt good so I started a long kick. I finished in 4:52 (which I recorded as a 4:51 Sweet 1600 since it takes more than a second to cover the extra 9.344 meters in a mile). I finished 12th.

That is not particularly fast for me, but as a season opener off limited training I’m happy with it. Faster 1600s are yet to come.

https://results.leonetiming.com/?mid=7348

3 Likes

Story

Late start but first mile of the day is done!

2 Likes