Sweet 1600 Star Posts

Use this topic for posts to collect community stars for the Sweet 1600 “course.”

Here’s how it works.

• Click the “Post Using This Template” button below to create a new post with a Story heading and boilerplate text.
  • Replace the boilerplate text with your report for one or both sections. The header is key for distinguishing between posts and replies—don’t change it.
  • Your post must be on the same calendar day as your run as entered in Webscorer.

Story

To pick up a community star, replace this text with a write-up of what your run was like, a photo you took on the run, a link to your Strava track, or something similar. Don’t delete the Story heading above.

Story

I’m starting the 2024 Challenge on the “same” course (different location) as I ended the previous challenge.

I’m spending the day in Tioga spectating at my kid’s final club volleyball tournament … so much sitting. Before their first match of the day, I got in one walking warmup mile and two running miles.

I’m slowly building up mileage after completing a walk:run return to run progression after a 9 month running hiatus due to injury.

It has been tough not having running as an outlet and letting my fitness go. But I am glad to be back!!

5 Likes

Story

I picked Cornell for today’s 1600 because it’s conveniently located close to the FH Fox course, and thankfully it was open. Some of the team’s hurdles were set up and I briefly considered a Sweet 1600 steeple, but the likelihood was too great of ending today’s effort with 40 miles and an ER trip.

3 Likes

Story

Stopped at the Lansing track on my way home from racing this weekend.

4 Likes

Story

I don’t run on a track often, and honestly, I kind of hate it. So, I figured I’d knock out the sweet 1600 early to get it out of the way and headed over to the Tburg track after work.

I was able to cover the distance in 7:20. Which may not seem blistering fast to some, but it’s the fastest mile I’ve ran since getting out of the army over a decade ago. So I have to say I’m pretty happy with that time.

I felt pretty good after the first mile and decided to go ahead and do another 4 laps at an 8:30ish pace.

Anyway, time to head home for dinner

2 Likes

Story

Bad Karma vs. Sweet 1600
Having detoured to FH Fox, Jamaican Cuisine, and Duck Trails first, I finished my second Hoctathon loop of the day and intended to head straight home. But… the math said I was only a mile short of a cumulative marathon for the day. Did I really want to run a Sweet 1600, in the rain no less? Would I be cursed if I ended the day that close to a suitable stopping distance?

Well, this Dew’s for you, Dryden Lions!

I sprinted the final stretch into the wind and rain to just break 13 minutes – which I think is slower than the world record for a track 5K. But, it is over and I will sleep in peace tonight!

3 Likes

Story

Back in Berkeley where I started grad school last millenium and where I met my wife. Did a brief jogging tour of campus and then ended at the track. I only ran the 1600 easy because the Seneca7 race is still in my legs. I have to say, the yellow track is a little nauseating. Campus is still beautiful though.

3 Likes

So far, @Tristan_Lambert has the most-distant (measuring from Stewart Park) Sweet 1600 at 2407 miles. Who’s going to try to compete with that?

Story

After my FH Fox run on Thursday, I totaled up my mileage for the week and grounded myself for the next few days. :grimacing: With coming back from injury, I must be careful (this me reminding myself).

I volunteered at the Tburg school today, and after I finished, I completed a couple of walking miles on the track.

Cover the ground!

2 Likes

Story

Hello from Edinburgh! :scotland: Lots of running clubs here but still looking for one as fun as FLRC.

While on a lunch run near my office Friday I noticed a grass track in a nearby park. No, not an easy cross-country course, but a track that is literally spray-painted on the grass. With regular lanes, sprint lanes, staggered starts, lane numbers and all. According to my Garmin it is about 200m:

Although it looks like a track the ground is not really that even underneath it, and the rest of the park users were not treating it like a track. There was a soccer game taking place across part of the backstretch (yes across, it was the middle of the field) so I had to use 3/4 of the track and turn around every lap. But could be fun at a less busy time!

5 Likes

Ooo, a temporary track! I wonder how they make it. Really big stencil?

Or maybe, given the part of the world you’re in, it’s track-obsessed aliens who got tired of crop circles. :alien:

Nevertheless, although I don’t know exactly where it is, you’re the new Sweet 1600 distance-from-Ithaca leader at 3269 miles. If you can send me an address sometime, I’ll get a more accurate number.

Story

With the rain I decided to run in Barton hall. The custodians very kindly let me run while they were setting up tables. Running was a little slow moving around them, but it worked out.

2 Likes

Story

Always my least favorite :woman_shrugging: but :heavy_check_mark::receipt:

Sun came out on the last mile blinding me from the sky and the wet track :sun_with_face::sunny: had to run with my eyes nearly closed that 100m section :woman_shrugging::sweat_smile:

Only one more course to go :grin: I plan on hiking it this afternoon. :+1:

3 Likes

Story

I’ve been running at Barton Hall on Friday mornings for the last few months, trying to work on speed, but this attempt was on the outdoor track at Cornell. After getting so used to the indoor track, I’m not accustomed to the wind (and it wasn’t even all that windy, really!) @crosby.woods kindly offered to pace me, which I’ve never tried doing before. It was super nice to not have to think about pace, and just try to follow along. He was pacing me for a 6:25, and I hung in there for the first three laps but couldn’t quite keep up for the last lap and ended up getting the same time from the last indoor meet. Next time, maybe! I’ll keep trying.

6 Likes

I remember for the Ultra Challenge last year you wrote it was your first time running around a track since the Carter administration. Kudos to you for notching your second under Biden!

1 Like

Story

I’m in Richmond, BC for a conference this week, so did a Google map trawl to find a track nearby to mark off my Sweet 1600 attempt for this year: I present the super accessible track at the Minoru Centre for Active Living!

There are only two tracks prioritized for runners, which makes sense given that everyone else was getting their walking laps in. After completing my laps, I found a lovely waterside trail with cracking views of the mountains (and the airport…):

Cheers Canada!

6 Likes

That’s two years in a row I’ve exceeded my quota of track miles, and I’ll have to run a another Sweet 1600 sometime this season - probably in mid-June.

A good entry in the distance competition: 2255 miles from Stewart Park.

Story

I’m in Ottawa again this weekend and found a cinder track at a nearby high school so was able to log three Seeet1600s this morning. Kind of boring but fun to be able to participate, even though I’ve been away so much this month.

4 Likes

I and Jodi visited Rome this weekend apended to a work trip to Bologna. I had originally siged up for a trail marathon in Bologna for Saturday, but the mountain of paperwork needed to complete my registration, all in Italian, and not wanting to leave Jodi all alone caused me to not follow through with it. We then unkowingly missed out on a Roman Park Run opportunity saturday morning, so I resigned to just finding a track for my furthest 1600.

This proved not to be difficult. I was able to find a public 200m track right in the middle of a beautiful park. It was about a 9 mile roud trip to and from the track, but i got out early when the traffic and crowds were tame.

Far from a blistering effort, but the wine and meals of the previous days weighed heavy on me.

On the way back I jogged past Trevi Fountain.

Then, heading back to the hotel, I got to stare at the Flavian Amphitheater, otherwise known as the Colosseum, past the end of the street.

Next stop, Venezia, as I write this on the train there. Then back to Bologna. Hopefully i can find something over there as well.

7 Likes