Taughannock Rim & Falls Star Posts

Story

Today was my first run for the new FLRC Challenge season. Turns out, I’m really motivated by things like this - enough to run a route I don’t care for at all and seek the beauty in it. I LOVE hiking the rim trail, but the base trail is one and done for me on the CLT each year. But, this year, I’m gonna lean in and learn to love it. I love the challenge and - hey I even posted here about it! I did talk Scott out of going out for local eats though - we’ve been out of town for more than half the week and being home sounded good! Great challenge - looking forward to many more runs. And, I mostly ran this - which for April is pretty darn awesome for me. FLRC Challenge Rim/Base/Rim first of season

3 Likes

Story

My first run of the 2022 challenge season! I love Taughannock, and not just because it is in my backyard (kind of). Every season tells a story. Today’s run was no different. Afternoon sun, brisk air, and no hint that tomorrow or the next day may bring snow. The base trail was a little more crowded than normal for a run in the mid-40s. I ran this one clockwise, and will probably alternate directions throughout the season. The uphills on this course are a challenge, mostly in mental fortitude. They’re relatively short, though, so once they’re over you can marvel at all the nature Taughannock has to throw your way. 4.6 mi Run Activity on April 17, 2022 by Scott D. on Strava

2 Likes

Story

This run never gets old. Especially at the end of a work day when the sun is shining and the temperature has moderated. Worked hard at keeping an even pace ascending the South Rim. 4.6 mi Run Activity on April 20, 2022 by Scott D. on Strava

Shop Local

Well, we spent more time in Garrett’s than we did on the trails, so Shop Local we did! Enjoyed this time to connect with each other and look at Trumansburg pass us by out the picture windows. Highly recommend the “Waiting on a Pizza NEIPA”. Hazy deliciousness!

2 Likes

Story

This run was AMAZING! My 3rd time running Rim/Base/Rim this week and … well ya I’m super excited for the challenge. As noted in my first write-up I typically avoid this trail and now that it is in the FLRC challenge circuit I have to do it. Bonus it is super close and I can make it an after work run. Today I went counter clockwise (easier for me but I’m committing to alternating directions each time) and I was able to notice the beauty around me in nature and the people connecting and sauntering on the base trail as I ran by. I paused to marvel at the falls on the base trail for just a minute and enjoyed the spray!

Shop Local

Scott and I decided to hit Garrett’s for a beer after our run. It was so nice to catch up at one of our favorite places. The last time we went was right after the Skunk and we were pretty spent. They were happy to see us looking a little more alive!! We sat in the window and enjoyed the sun as we had our beer.

2 Likes

Story

It was the perfect morning to try out the Taughannock course today. It took me a moment to find the start sign (I was looking by the trailhead instead of on the fence by the overlook… which is clearly shown in the photos!) but everything else was straightforward.

One small correction to the instructions… it says “At the top of the park, turn right and cross the bridge to the South Rim Trail.” but it’s a left turn to cross the bridge. The only other thing was that after running the Gorge trail in and back out… I wasn’t sure whether to run across the parking lot to the sidewalk, and I ended up veering left from the trail through the grass for a moment to go directly to the sidewalk, avoiding the parking lot. A Strava image is attached to show the part I’m talking about. After looking at the official course image again, it looks like I should have crossed through the lot instead.

Strava had the run at 4.76 miles instead of 4.6, but that may be because I ran to the very end of the overlook at the end of the Gorge Trail before turning back around (instead of turning around immediately after crossing the little bridge)… not sure what the correct turnaround point is. In any case, I enjoyed the run, the views and blue sky!

A post was split to a new topic: Taughannock Rim & Falls course clarifications (and RunGo directions)

Story

This was my most amazing run this week! I am not in love with my trail shoes so I wore my Ghosts. Much better for me today. Toward the top of the trail, a family I had seen hiking early on cheered for me, saying “Way to go!! We saw you when you first started!!” so I got a little more energy from them. Then, at the end when I was scanning, a person came up to me to ask about what I was doing. I shared and turns out he and his crew are from Aruba. They are doing the Seneca 7 tomorrow. Their team is called, “Aruba: One Happy Island!” They even posed for a picture for me. If you are running the Seneca 7 tomorrow, wish them luck. I told them the unusually hot weather is just for them!!

2 Likes

Story

It was perfect weather this morning for a Taughannock Rim trail run with @benlambert, who just joined the challenge and who agreed to join me on the promise of some post-run refreshment.

Shop Local

We stopped by GreenStar afterward for some very refreshing iced mochas!

2 Likes

Story

My legs were probably too tired to do this today BUT it was so nice out!! I convinced @scottpdawson to take a recovery run from the Seneca 7 and run at my pace today. As we started we saw a person near the sign and I asked him if he was doing the challenge. Yes he was!! So, after snapping a picture, @MattBish, Scott and I ran for a bit together before Scott and I switched it to a hike - both of us were just exhausted from the weekend. We reasoned that it was ok to just cover the miles and hike and catch up with each other. It was a great way to spend an evening!

Story

I really enjoyed the chance to get out after work today and enjoy some trail time before things get rainy overnight. After yesterday’s Seneca 7 exertions, my calves were complaining mightily about running. Amy and I were both perfectly content to turn 3/5 of this into a hike. As the shirt says, “Cover the Ground”. So, we did! Really nice to bump into another runner, Matt, at the start, too!

2 Likes

That’s Matt Bishop! @MattBish

1 Like

@heathercobb3 thanks!! I’ll add him to my post now :slight_smile:

Story

The park was really deserted this morning, probably a combination of the rain and colder temperatures. I was concerned about how I was feeling during last night’s run/hike so felt it was important to get out this morning and give it an honest effort. I think my fueling yesterday was pretty bad, but this morning there was no such problem. Such a wonderful way to start a workday! Plus, I’m a morning runner person!

1 Like

Story

IMG_3601

Shop Local

soft tacos for lunch at Tburg -Main Street Market. Yummy!!

4 Likes

Story

Beautiful morning for a group run with nearly 40 people! Extra special to run with my brother Sam and my SIL @lynsayayer. Also saw friends from IHS back in the day, @MattBish and his brother Doug. The course was really fun, the last uphill mile making it a true “challenge,” but worth it for the views and company.

3 Likes

Story

Hey guys! Today was my first group run. Sorry I couldn’t stick around afterwards, I promised I would help my brother move today. Anyway, awesome run. I love this trail, and the fact that it’s only a few miles from my house makes it so much better. I had to stop at the bridge and get some pictures with the sun coming up over the trees

This is my second run at Taughannock for the FLRC. On my first one I went left from the start and headed downhill. On this one I headed right going uphill. Todays route was much more difficult. That last climb is killer.

Shop Local

Before the run today, I stopped at Gimme Coffee for some much needed caffeine and an espresso brownie. That’s the way to fuel for a trail run

3 Likes

Story

Started the group run early to get done at the same time as everyone else. With today’s run, I have completed the 2022 Challenge.

7 Likes

Story

What a fantastic group run!

So many people, smiling faces, great conversation, and sunny skies. It was cool to run in opposite directions and passing runners going up the base trail and down the south rim. I got someone to take our pace group’s picture at the base of the falls, too! Album cover? Yes!

Shop Local

@amy-dawson and I opted for sandwiches from Creekside Cafe and brewed a pot of Gimme Leftist here at the house. It was a really festive way to spend the post-race morning on our deck with friends. We had our bonfire going, some music in the background, and really enjoyed sharing stories with you all!

4 Likes

Story

One of our most successful group runs yet, with 38 people looping the falls. I’d been healing my knee all week in preparation for this one, and it was worth it, as we took on a clockwise (I think it’s faster and easier in that direction) effort of Taughannock Rim & Falls. Special thanks to @Marschmi and @steve-desmond for keeping me company when I needed to walk the stairs to avoid overloading my knee.

And then, of course, huge thanks to @scottpdawson and @amy-dawson for hosting about 20 of us on their back deck afterward for another hour or two of food, drink, and convivial conversation. We will be doing this again on other FLRC Challenge courses!

Shop Local

@tonya-engst and I ordered from Creekside Cafe in T’burg, and my Uncle Louie sandwich was fabulous. They were super easy to order from in advance, so if you’re planning a Taughannock Rim & Falls run, it would be easy to make sure you have a sandwich waiting for you in downtown Trumansburg when you’re done. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Story

What a great morning to get out for a group run. 1st time doing the Taughannock trails. Thanks for organizing! :heart:

3 Likes