Trail conditions for opening the FLRC Challenge trail courses

@D_G_Rossiter Good to know! The Hammond trails always drain quickly—I’ve never encountered huge amounts of mud or standing water.

Thanks! Sounds like we could open the Thom B. course soon too, though perhaps @Petorius can help with a GPS run through so we can make RunGo directions. I don’t have an exact run of that course mapped and it’s impossible to map in RunGo on trails without a GPX import to start from.

I’ve run that route from the parking lot dozens of times. I’ll pull an old .gpx file into RunGo and map it out when I get a chance.

1 Like

Okay, all set on RunGo! RunGo | FLRC Challenge Thom B Loop | Freeville

@Petorius, you are officially my favorite person for the week! Especially given my troublesome calf preventing me from running these courses. You’ve already done Danby Down & Dirty; any chance you could put Tortoise and Frolic into RunGo? The only slight fault on the Tortoise track is just after we got back on the track at Comfort Road. You go down the trail a bit and then turn left to head over toward the bridge, and I think we cut it a little short. I think the Frolic course is right.

FLRC-Challenge-Tortoise.gpx (280.6 KB)

FLRC-Challenge-Forest-Frolic.gpx (507.3 KB)

And if you wanted to clean up the Waterfront Trail directions, I ran out of time to do those.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll try to get to sometime this week. The T&H Challenge course is the same as the actual race minus the field trail at the start, right? Will the start/finish Challenge sign be next to the playground where the actual race finishes?

I’ll probably do a separate RunGo route for the in-person Thom B course, since the start and finish are a little different. I’ll differentiate the two in the RunGo title and description.

P.S. I’m telling Tonya.

Yes, the T&H course is just as you describe (lacking the first mile), except for the sign will probably be closer to the bridge than the traditional finish line. I’ll have to see what the park people say, but I anticipate installing it near the Buttermilk Falls edge of the playground.

I agree that the in-person Thom B. course needs its own map, since that final turn is a little tricky.

Umm, favorite person outside my immediate household. Yes, that’s it! :slight_smile:

I ran the Thom B course this afternoon and it was in great running condition. A few little mud patches and a few downed trees that could easily be maneuvered, otherwise all clear. If not for the impending snow I think that course could open this weekend too.

I also did part of Thom B on Saturday. Excellent conditions. One idea: because these will be individual runs there is no need to start/finish at Camp Connection. Why not start/finish at the parking lot? So down/up to Camp Connection, continue on the usual course; on the way back continue straight on Y1, no need for the last turn. It would be slightly longer, maybe 800m or so.

That’s exactly the plan for the FLRC Challenge version of the Thom B. course.

I hope to open it very soon—all that remains is to install the sign!

1 Like

I’ve consistently measured that route at 8.5 miles, as opposed to the 8.2 for the actual Thom B race course. I can’t wait for this one to open!

@Petorius If you have a few minutes today, I’m hoping to install the Tortoise sign today, on the parking lot side of the bridge for better visibility and to keep people from crossing unnecessarily when it might be wet and slippery. Any chance you could turn that GPX track into RunGo directions?

Also on tap for today is Danby, and if I have enough time, Thom B.

Sorry, I finished the RunGo map and it somehow didn’t save. It’s half done from when I saved midway through my progress. I’ll try to finish it later this week.

I ran the Frolic course this morning. It was almost completely dry with just a bit of mud heading up Hauck Hill, minor flooding on the power line and 3-4 very avoidable ice patches on the downhill snowmobile trail section. Very runnable and my feet stayed dry on all creek crossings. Many of the downed trees have been taken care of, and the two big ones that are still present are easy to detour around. Was pleasantly surprised to see new signs up on the main FLT/orange spur intersections similar to those in Danby on the Abbott Loop. I think the course could be open by next weekend if this balmy weather continues!

Great minds think alike!

Wow, that’s a big difference compared to when I ran there on Monday last week!

Okay, all set with the T&H on RunGo. Bummer my run at Hammond Hill yesterday doesn’t count for the Challenge :cry:

Thanks, Pete! I fiddled with T&H this morning, but you have more quite a bit experience than I do at this point. Could you also tweak the Danby RunGo directions to move the start to by the parking area and remove the little loop at the end?

Agreed! I wore my oldest trail shoes expecting a messy slow morning after your run last week but was pleasantly surprised. So excited that all these trail courses are opening up!

All set here. RunGo | FLRC Challenge Danby Down and Dirty 10k | Ithaca Thankfully RunGo has a “Save As” function, so I was able to edit the existing route from the in-person race and save the Challenge route separately, without starting from scratch. Both 10Ks are in RunGo and clearly labeled as the race course or Challenge course. Frolic is the only one remaining for the Challenge.