Trail shoes recommendations

Looking for recommendations on new trail shoes.
For type of trails, something mainly good for treman, buttermilk and this local FLT area.
I prefer mainly kinvara for road and peregrines for trail and dabbled with topo ultraventures.
I’m cautious on hoka speedgoat due to high stack and altra’s with zero drop.
Anyone like nike kiger or wildhorse or any of the la sportivas or brooks?
Feet are somewhat wide.
thks

1 Like

I’ll be curious what others say since your criteria sound exactly like mine. I like the Saucony Kinvara for roads and the Saucony Peregrine for trails, even though I have fairly wide feet. My Peregrine 7s have about 500 miles and are ripping out on the sides, so I’m in the market too. At least in the past, the Peregrines used the Kinvara base; I don’t know if that’s still true. I also like the fact that the Peregrines have pretty aggressive lugs.

The high stack of the Hokas scare me for trails—I blew out an ankle badly tripping on the rail in Barton Hall while running in Hokas in part because it was so high off the ground.

I tried on a pair of trail shoes from Inov8 the last time I was down at the running store, but they were too narrow for my feet. I didn’t have time to try on the Altra Lone Peak, but @Petorius said they were pretty heavy. Zero drop doesn’t bother me, especially for trails where it feels like you’d be up on your toes more anyway.

Interesting, I turned down the lone peaks due to not feeling wide enough and went with the inov8 g270, really happy so far but haven’t put too much on them yet

@Swizbob Sounds like you’re not a fan of the Topo Ultraventure—I’d recommend that shoe if you hadn’t already tried it. I think the Saucony Mad River handles well on many of the local trails like Treman. It’s a softer ride than the Peregrine and not as aggressive, but it’s more flexible.

You could also try the Salomon Sense Ride for a lightweight shoe with low drop and a snug fit. Salomons are known running narrow, but the Sense Ride is wider all around and especially in the forefoot.

You could also check out the new North Face Vective. It’s the first carbon plated trail shoe and meant as more of a shorter distance racing shoe. It’s light and flexible with pretty good grip, and a lot of reviewers are happy with its durability. The downside is the carbon plate comes with a steep price tag. For $180 you might be paying for features you aren’t looking for in a trail shoe.

1 Like

I have been running in Inov8 Parkclaw 275s on the trails and they’ve held up well for me over a couple pairs. I don’t think my feet are particularly wide, but the toebox feels pretty roomy so it can probably handle someone with wider feet in the toes as well.

Just seeing this thread. Newly released Hoka Zinal has a lower stack than the Speedgoat and feels most similar to the Saucony Kinvara on my feet. It’s overpriced and is packing out a bit quicker than I’d like, but it feels really good (and I’m not a Hoka person traditionally). Mad River as Pete suggests below is closer in feel to what you might be after and wider in the toebox (and midfoot) than the Peregrine (have to get them now though as they’re now discontinued). We have the Altra Superior in at the moment (a bit spotty in some sizes) which is also lighter and more flexible than the Lone Peak (though I’m question to individual who felt the Lone Peak was heavy…maybe compared to really really minimal if not barefoot footwear). Can always chat more in the shop our outside of but guessing you’ve already found something.