Valley Views Star Posts

Use this topic for posts to collect community stars for the Valley Views course.

Here’s how it works.

• Click the “Post Using This Template” button below to create a new post with a Story heading and boilerplate text.
  • Replace the boilerplate text with your report for one or both sections. The header is key for distinguishing between posts and replies—don’t change it.
  • Your post must be on the same calendar day as your run as entered in Webscorer.

Story

To pick up a community star, replace this text with a write-up of what your run was like, a photo you took on the run, a link to your Strava track, or something similar. Don’t delete the Story heading above.

Story

I realized the drive from Hammond Hill to Brookton’s Market is actually not that far, so I hit the Valley Views en route to Lindsay Parsons. My boss, who’s also an experienced runner, lives withon walking distance of the market and offered to run with me if I wanted company. But when I arrived at the sign I decided it was a bad idea to knock on doors looking for his house — I forgot exactly where it is — since it was 2:30 a.m. and probably looked like I just crawled out of the woods (which in more or less did.)

RunGo worked beautifully here. I don’t remember much else about the run as I was busy rehashing the plot of Return of the Jedi in my mind for the full hour I was out there after hearing a bird that sounded like R2D2.

1 Like

You probably heard a bobolink! I heard them at the Blueberry Patch course last year.

2 Likes

Story

I took advantage of the cool weather today to do a tempo run on Valley Views. I wanted to go as fast as I could without compromising my ability to do tomorrow’s indoor track workout. I wasn’t sure what pace that would be, especially on a hilly course, so I felt it out as I went.

The course goes uphill for the first 1.5 miles or so. I meted out a moderate effort and made it to the peak of Burns Road feeling pretty good. Then I let my legs shift into a gravity-assisted higher gear on the way back down. Once I was back on Valley Road I started pushing a little harder.

Around 4 miles in I was starting to feel some fatigue. I permitted myself a brief reprieve and eased off the effort a bit for the short climb on White Church Road. After cresting the hill I settled in to a pace that was tough but manageable.

Soon Brookton’s Market was in view. I glanced at my watch. It read 39:30. This was extremely significant because as all runners know it is much better to finish just below a round number than it is to finish at or above it. It looked like I had about 150 meters to go. As long as I didn’t have to stop for traffic I could probably kick for sub 40. Luckily no cars were coming. I darted across the road, tapped the sign, and stopped my watch at 39:58.

3 Likes

Story

I’ve cycled these roads many times, and in fact a friend and I use Burns hill as a measuring unit to compare all other hills to (i.e. Snyder Hill we think is 3 x Burns). It keeps us going! Today, I convinced my non-runner boyfriend to jog/walk the first 1.5 miles with me to the top of Burns. He did so, and probably never will again haha!
Overall I enjoyed this route much more than I thought I would. The rest of the course felt like it flowed really well and my legs seemed happy. Of course most of the rest was somewhat downhill so that probably explains it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Story

Another course :heavy_check_mark::receipt: after work today. :smiling_face:
I really liked this course, I found it easier than FH Fox :thinking: not sure why :woman_shrugging: (though burns hill :tired_face::sweat_smile:)
Also forgot my visor

Figured my shirt would help with visibility :red_car:
Really missed that visor though!

Loved that this course ends at the market, grabbed myself dinner after my run. :+1: I vote for more courses that end with food/snack shops :joy:
Still troubleshooting my RunGo. (I’m just posting about it here in case someone else has the issue too) Seems my app will reset the distance when I open the phone to look at the map :woman_shrugging: did this three times and third time it crashed. I restarted and didn’t go into the app again and it was able to finish the navigation :thinking: I did message the app people about it. :woman_shrugging: I couldn’t find anything with my settings that could be causing it.

1 Like

It’s always a consideration when I’m looking for them! Wait until you try Run Rabbit Run. :icecream:

This is sounding like a particular issue for your phone and RunGo. Hopefully they’ll have something to suggest.

Story

Nice running weather for today’s challenge after the heat this week…keeping in tradition of map challenges we somehow ran the first loop backwards but I think it’s a first of not adding mileage on!! I still think there should be an award category for most accident mileage added… :joy:

If you have the time the coffee and sandwiches at the market are pretty tasty. I recommend the local on sourdough toasted.

2 Likes

It could be named the Ferdinand Magellan award and the prize is a globe. :earth_americas:

1 Like