What is your favorite FLT section?

Now that the trails are finally (sort of) drying out, I figured I would draw on the wealth of knowledge and running experience from all you locals who have explored Ithaca’s trails - some of you, longer than I’ve been alive! What is your favorite FLT route within an hour’s drive of Ithaca, and why? Extra bonus points if you add in a side trail to make a lollipop instead of an out-and-back route.

I’ll start… my current favorite is M16 Gulf Rd to Connecticut Hill Rd, +/- the Van Lone loop. Followed by a close second - M19 Daisy Hollow to Virgil Mountain Loop and back.

1 Like

So many choices… my “go to” section is from NY13/34/96 (Shady Corners) through the south border of Treman Park, along the high banks of Fish Kill, and then down to Fish Kill to the CCC monument. (From here a short side trail leads to the Old Mill in Upper Treman). For a shorter run, in the other direction, white-blazed FLT up the abandoned side of Lick Brook (inter-glacial, re-excavated post-glacial) to Town Line Rd. Then do the orange loop above Town Line, back down via the blue trail.

1 Like

I’ve run lots of sections of the FLT during Triennial run-throughs and races, but I honestly don’t remember them well enough to pick favorites or really recommend them. :slight_smile: I will say that if we ever get back to being able to have group runs without worry (and when I can run again), I’d love to see some weekend group runs hitting different sections of the FLT to show them off.

1 Like

Maybe a little more than an hour drive but the Bristol Hills Branch of the FLT was my go-to when I lived in Canandaigua. There are some options to do an out and back with a loop in the High Tor Wildlife Management Area. Expect a lot of elevation gain.

1 Like

Kennedy State Forest on the main FLT and the orange-blazed spur trails is one of my favorite spots. It’s a 30-minute drive from Ithaca and the trails are generally not too crowded. I think they’re well marked and pretty well maintained. There are enough side trails and forest roads that I’ve come up with a 24-ish mile route that covers the whole forest with little repetition of trails. Also, if you know your way around well enough you can add parts to the route in Tuller Hill SF, Hope Lake Park, and/or Greek Peak.

I started trail running when I ran the Forest Frolic in 2011 so Kennedy has some nostalgia value for me too.

2 Likes