2022 FLRC Challenge completed!

I’m pleased to announce, @Challengers, that your intrepid Challenge director has finally completed his tenth course as well, with a walk/run effort on Brookton Hill & Dale this morning. Never let it be said that I ask you to do anything I wouldn’t.

Injuries prevented me from running the two longest courses entirely, but I’ve always said that the FLRC Challenge should be challenging! If it were easy, it would be the FLRC Whatever.

Cover the ground!

4 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

Fantastic, congratulations @adamengst! It’s quite impressive that you managed to complete the challenge despite your injury (also your hiking time on the Lick Brook & Treman course is faster than my “running” time :sweat_smile::joy:).

1 Like

You are setting a high bar for Larry and me. We plan to finish the Challenge tomorrow morning (early) with the Brookton course, too. We both have been dealing with injuries too.

It will be a warm day so some walking may be in the mix.
Congratulations!

1 Like

It might be cooler if you do it clockwise, so you get cooler temps on Coddington in the sun, but still shade on White Church. I wasn’t bothered by the heat though, and I liked the direction otherwise.

The only other course-related quirk is that there are lots of dump trucks going on Middaugh and Coddington (maybe eight for the time I was there?). Starting earlier might avoid some of them, though I don’t know when they kick in. I think they’re related to the repaving work on 366 in Ithaca.

Good luck, and remember, there’s no shame in hiking if that’s what you need to do to cover the ground.

Congratulations! Maybe I’ll organize the FLRC Whatever for next year. Walk/run as many courses as you like, whatever distance you like, whatever pace you like. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the tips and the heads up on the traffic. We are hoping to start early.

I like it! The completion award for the FLRC Whatever could be an off-brand vanilla Oreo cookie—the “whatever” of snacks. :wink:

Congrats Adam!

1 Like

Fantastic, @adamengst! So glad you were able to do this despite being injured. A well-deserved medal!

1 Like

“If it were easy, it would be the FLRC Whatever.” This!! :joy:

I’m happy to announce that I’m finally two courses in (woohoo) and plan to handle the rest this week and next. Just this once I’ve managed to procrastinate but in my defense, I’ve just been training for several big races this summer!

And congrats @adamengst on getting it done, in spite of the circumstances!

1 Like

yaaaaas I definitely want to do the FLRC Whatever :disguised_face:

And wow, I leave on vacation, and everyone kicks into high gear. We have a bunch of new completions, @Challengers, and it was a disciplined bunch, with most employing a one-and-done strategy, or very close to it. Plus, every one of them was 53 or older—the @Super-60s-70s team in particular got a boost.

• Jennifer Woltjen (@jennifer.woltjen) and Larry Lepak (@larrylepak) came up from Endicott to run all their courses together, finishing the Challenge off with a Brookton Hill & Dale.

• Jules Johnson (@jlb262) did a one-and-done other than doubling up on East Hill Dryden Trail Trail before finishing with Long Loomis.

• Andrea Lachance took a methodical approach, running a course every week or so and finishing with the Jim Schug Trail.

• Bruce Lauber (@tbl3), Andrea’s husband, took a similarly methodical approach but finished his Challenge with a Sweet 1600.

• Paula Kilts (@paulakilts) finished off her one-and-done strategy with the Lick Brook & Treman FLT course.

• John Hummell (@johnhummel22) also took a one-and-done approach, leaving his home Lansing Center Trail course for last.

• Susan Barnett (@Smb) had to walk her last few courses, including the Lick Brook & Treman FLT course, after her Challenge efforts were derailed by emergency surgery, which counts as extra grit points in my book!

Congrats to all—nice to see you finishing in good form and well before the August 14th final day.

3 Likes

Four more completions so far today, @Challengers!

• Kerry Demarest (@kerrydemarest) employed a one-and-done strategy and almost did the course in ascending distance order, with only Lansing Center Trail out of sequence.

• Mary Howard (@MDot) is in third place for Most Runs on the Beebe Lake course, which she has done 30 times, but she ventured east toward Dryden yesterday for Long Loomis and today for Jim Schug to claim her medal.

• Jessica Daily (@maplejh) has been making trips down from Cortland to run the Challenge courses, but she finished her last course with a local Sweet 1600 with friends.

• Aaron King (@aaronking32) has been pretty quiet in the Challenge so far this year thanks to multiple ultra races, but he made a splash today with an FLRC 100K Ultra Challenge completion.

Great work, everyone!

Two more completions so far today, @Challengers! Congrats to Sten Anderson (@Sten_Anderson), who tackled the Lick Brook & Treman FLT course, and Michelle Dardia (@medardia), who claimed her medal with an effort on Taughannock Rim & Falls.

We’re up to 72 completions, and I’d love to see us do better than last year’s 87 completions. We have 15 people who only need one more, so it should be doable.

1 Like

@Challengers, while I was traveling back from Vancouver all day yesterday and sleeping off the jet lag today, lots more completions came in:

• Joshua Brockner (@JoshB) and Caroline Brockner (@caroline-brockner) took a break from their home course of the Jim Schug Trail to tick off Lick Brook & Treman FLT on Sunday and Taughannock Rim & Falls on Tuesday for their last two courses.
  • Kim Jackson (@KimJ) finally got to return to the roads with Inlet Shore Trail and Brookton Hill & Dale after her big trail effort on Lick Brook & Treman FLT.
  • Brittany Cronk (@brittanycronk) left the easiest for last with a Sweet 1600 at the end of her one-and-one strategy.
  • Kuwanna Dyer-Pietras (@kuwanna-dyerpietras) claimed her medal with Sweet 1600 in Binghamton after a concerted effort to run all the rest of the courses in just four trips to the Ithaca area.
  • Adrian Haws (@ahaws) also closed out his Challenge with a Taughannock Rim & Falls effort, moving into fourth overall in Most Points for men.

Congrats all! We’re now at 78 completions with 13 people queued up with just one course left and another 8 with two to go. And there’s still time for those with three or four courses if your legs are up to the challenge. We could break 100 completions for the year!

1 Like

We have four more completions now, @Challengers:

• Charlie Hale (@Charlie_Hale) finished his Challenge with a 5:03 Sweet 1600 good for fifth overall, and enough points to move him into fourth for Most Points.
  • Tyler Wright (@tylermwright) came back one day after running Lick Brook & Treman FLT to complete East Hill Dryden Rail Trail to claim his medal.
  • Patrick Milano (@patrickmilano) opted for a morning Jim Schug Trail run for his tenth course, a day after running a speedy 5:07 Sweet 1600 for his 100th track effort.
  • Simon Woods, age 6, completed the roughly 6-mile Inlet Shore Trail, for his sixth and final course. (He won’t appear on the Completions page because the leaderboard has no way of acknowledging accommodation completions.)

Nice running, all, and special kudos to Simon (and his mother Michelle) for working his way up to such a long course!

1 Like

Four more completions, @Challengers, including two of our teenagers!

• Jim Hodges (@jhodges117) got a late start in mid-July but has since been on a roll, closing out his Challenge with the toughest course: Lick Brook & Treman FLT.

• 18-year-old Xander Dawson (@xander.k.dawson) finally ventured past his home course of Taughannock Rim & Falls at the end of July and since methodically worked his way through the courses, finishing off by running Long Loomis with Scott Dawson.

• Phil Gabler followed Jim’s lead in choosing Lick Brook & Treman FLT as his last course.

• 16-year-old Crosby Woods (@crosby.woods) took a one-and-done approach supplemented by the 1600m races he ran for IHS during the track season, including the second-fastest time for Sweet 1600. Thanks to Patrick Milano’s 100 efforts and several others in the mid-50s, though, the Best Average for men contest requires at least 9 efforts right now, so Crosby’s 6, while faster overall than Bill Watson’s, aren’t quite sufficient to qualify. Three more quick ones, Crosby?

Nice work, everyone! We’re now up to 85 completions with two days left!

1 Like

My running partner, Terry, and I finished the challenge this morning with the Lick Brook Trail. Lots of help on directions from Tom and Bill, who were running out at the same time.

Thanks for putting this together. I never thought I’d run 8 miles, let alone 13.1.

I’m looking forward to getting out to more of the FLRC group runs in the future.

2 Likes

Lots of people left their final courses for the last weekend, so I’m just catching up. Congratulations to everyone!

Saturday’s finishers

• Bob Talda
  • David Cutter
  • Kristina Harrison
  • Tonya Engst
  • Dan Verderosa
  • Amanda King
  • John McKain
  • Trista Thorn
  • Sarah Ridenour
  • Morgan Cutter
  • Gary McCheyne