Anybody else losing their running routine as a result of not going to work?

Despite the beautiful weather, I am running less because I don’t have the structure of getting the kids off to school and heading off to work. Probably also because work time is less productive at home, so some stress sets in.
Any advice?

I can’t speak to a change, since I’ve worked at home my entire professional life. But I can say that the trick that has worked for me over the years is to do whatever you can to set and keep a schedule. When I’m healthy and running normally, for instance, an alarm on my Mac and Apple Watch goes off at 11:33 every weekday, which is exactly the amount of time I need to change and get to Teagle to run with High Noon. On occasion, something prevents that from happening, but by ensuring the alarm is there every day, I usually stick to the schedule.

So what I’d recommend is figure out what time works best for you, whether it’s morning, noon, or night, and then block off the time on your calendar every day and set an alarm. Remember, just because you’re working from home doesn’t prevent you from getting to take breaks for exercise. :slight_smile:

Massive respect to all the parents who are home-schooling kids and managing tasks from home. I can’t imagine how hard it is right now, and am glad I am not a parent at this point.

Having talked with a few friends (runners and otherwise), it seems runners are doing much better in holding their own due to the outlet they get by getting outside. In addition to what Adam said, adding routine within the running week seems to have helped so far. Even though there are no races, I’m trying to be honest about keeping my weekly schedule. Monday easy, Tuesday speed, Wednesday medium long, Thurs-Fri easy hours, Saturday tempo and Sunday long run. With the week structured around running, it is a lot easier to get through and have things to look forward to.

1 Like

An excellent point—routines and schedules are powerful things. And Jean-Luc, perhaps it would be helpful if you committed to doing at least one of the middle-distance workouts I’m posting each week in the Group Runs & Workouts forum. Telling yourself that you need to do it, and then reporting back on how it went can be a useful form of social pressure to make sure it happens.

Feeling good is really is only motivation I need. If I don’t run, play basktball, etc., I don’t feel good.

1 Like