Backstretch Bingo Day 2: Strides

Strides: Run 2 to 8 strides during your run, accelerating to your 5K race pace for 20–30 seconds, and then jogging for the same amount of time before repeating. Tell us if you think you’ll do it more often.

1 Like

6 stride efforts in East Hill before sunrise today - not gonna call them real strides because I didn’t even hit half marathon pace due to snow and slush. I should consciously do them more often, but I have a built-in stride generator (frequency and duration unknown) when Sam chases squirrels on runs with me!

4 Likes

My daughter’s birthday party is today therefore I didn’t plan a run for today; so I had to modify. I did 1 mile on the treadmill, 30sec jog/ 30sec run for the entire mile. It felt good and went by fast. And yes, I will definitely incorporate this into my training. :blush:

3 Likes

Love strides! I always find they help me out of my mid 4K slump and increase my pace overall towards the end of the run

1 Like

7 strides during my 5k inside this morning. My workout suggestions keep including sprints, so I’m guessing I’ll be doing more of this!

1 Like

I did 8 miles of skiing at Hammond Hill this morning, so I’m putting this one off until later in the month, but I’m jazzed to hear people liking the strides. Speaking as a coach, strides are a key part of training, since they’re an easy way to help you learn to change gears and get your cadence up—it’s all too easy to fall into a single pace and never mix it up. Plus, they’re short and fun, and in nice weather on the right surface, like a golf course or soccer field, you can even do them barefoot, which feels great.

1 Like

8 strides during my long run today. truly beautiful running weather!

Parking lot being Cascadilla Greenstar for 6 strides. Gratefully not too icy.

Love strides, thanks for the encouragement to work them in more regularly. Did 5 after my easy run today.

10-30 second strides on my long run. I finally found a clear surface to run on.

1 Like

5 strides on my run this morning - 20 second run, 1 minute rest. Still slightly injured so just taking it easy, but I like this variety.

1 Like

Wow, impressive analysis here!

Gillian, I created the workout in Garmin, and this is how it showed up on my Strava, which must have read the workout from my watch.

1 Like

Strides day!

I did my strides on Day 2, but am posting now. I did them during a cross-country ski outing. You can see in my Strava pace analysis many peaks and valleys—most of those are from stopping and starting, but the ones in the first half mile are strides. That’s because it was SO SO cold. The ones in the last half mile were when I challenged myself to stay out for a little longer and make it count. Striders are like sunshine on a gray day.

I did 4 strides on my run today! I feel like they help my body relax into my race pace. I do think I will try to add these more intentionally to my runs.

And with that, I have a bingo! :grin:

3 Likes

Did some (ok 12, but that was my training plan) strides to get the legs moving on my run today!

1 Like

Done, didn’t love them, which means I probably should do them more regularly.

4 strides at the end of today’s run. Only 2 made it up to tempo pace - it’s slippery!