Dryden Lake Lollipop Star Posts

Use this topic for posts to collect community stars for the Dryden Lake Lollipop course.

Here’s how it works.

• Click the “Post Using This Template” button below to create a new post with a Story heading and boilerplate text.
  • Replace the boilerplate text with your report for one or both sections. The headers is key for distinguishing between posts and replies—don’t change it.
  • Your post must be on the same calendar day as your run as entered in Webscorer.

Story

To pick up a community star, replace this text with a write-up of what your run was like, a photo you took on the run, a link to your Strava track, or something similar. Don’t delete the Story heading above.

Story

After a warm Cornell Scenic Circuit and an even warmer Lakefront Loops 5K, I went home to my meeting, and then took a nap with the cat, waiting for the day to cool off. Around 9pm I began my run on this course. I don’t live far from the Jim Schug trailhead, so I began there, looped around the lake, and finished with the last and first parts of this course. Running on Jim Schug and Dryden Rail Trail at different times of the day means different wildlife will be out and about. Due to the rain earlier in the day, the amphibians were aplenty! (More frog and toad pics on my Strava.) Also out and about were lots of spiders whose eyes glitter in the headlamp light - I dubbed them aliens during a delusional last 10 miles of my first 50 mile race, when they were hanging from the undersides of leaves.

Lake Rd. wasn’t horrible, but the leg I am trying to rehab didn’t like the camber, so I spent as much time on the yellow lines as I could. I don’t recommend doing this on high traffic days, but at 10pm I only had to deal with two cars and my leg was happy.

After a quick stop back at home for a water break, I began the second, shorter half of the journey. I reached the sign by the village court just after midnight. Unfortunately Toad’s was closed. My energy faded with about a mile and a half to go, so I walked the rest of the course after Spring House Rd.

1 Like

Story

I wanted to get out early today for a Challenge course or two. When I found myself wide awake at 5:00 a.m. I figured it’s a good day to knock out the Dryden Lake loop and was running down the rail trail by 5:30. Dozens of rabbits’ eyes reflected of the headlamp glow in the pre-dawn miles. If 2022 was the Year of the Turtle on the DRT then this is now the Year of the Rabbit. The RunGo directions were spot on for the three or four turns. I saw one runner and a walker or two and otherwise had the 13.1 miles all to myself.

2 Likes

Story

A wonderful day to Hike the longest Course!
So full of hope, ambition and energy :rofl:

The four of us (3 challenge participants, one just along for the abuse :sweat_smile: er…fun)
Bill behind the Camera, Matt, Myself, and Courtney started our journey at 10am. Invigorated by the sunshine! In an effort to start conditioning ourselves for a future thru hike of the FLT we loaded up with packs with plenty of water & food.
We figured with a good lunch break, and a comfortable pace we would complete the course in just under 6 hours.

Just some of the wildlife we came across.

On the walk around the lake we looked for a good spot to sit for lunch. Only then realizing it was a road walk around the lake with no one really safe to sit. :face_with_peeking_eye: :woman_shrugging: :woman_facepalming: Great View Though!!

So we had to veer off trail back into the park (were we also found a bathroom btw, just fyi)
Had a nice lunch

But then realized the breeze was quite chilly when we stopped walking :rofl: :cold_face:

We were all happy to get back on the trail and moving!
Loved the final stretch,

But man, :woozy_face: we were all tuckered at the end!

You can see were we back tracked into the park and had lunch if anyone is curious where the bathrooms (outhouse) are

This was a lovely hike and really good way to safely start building some time on feet for long distance hiking. But I will be back to actually do a run before then end of the challenge :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Story

Long runs are not a priority for me right now (I’m training for 800m track races, including one at FLRC’s Trackapalooza in July) so I had planned on waiting until the end of my track season to run this one. But motivation struck today, so I took advantage of it and did my best to run a fast but controlled Lollipop.

I settled into a nice groove for the first 6 miles. It’s a gradual uphill, but it feels almost flat on fresh legs. I worked a bit harder to get up the big hill on Lake Road. It felt great to crest it knowing that I could coast down most of the way back. With gravity’s help I cruised my way to the finish. I pushed the last mile and wound up finishing in 1:26. En route I snagged a course record on the lake loop Strava segment, but there are some very fast runners signed up for the Challenge so that mark will surely be lowered soon.

This is one of my favorite courses so far. There’s plenty of nature to enjoy, and and no need to pay attention to roots, trail blazes, or RunGo directions.

3 Likes

Story

oooph. beautiful day… but oooph.

1 Like

Story

After knocking off the Ludlowville course over the weekend, I decided to try my luck on this course this afternoon. I haven’t run 13+ miles since last year’s Challenge, but I’ve been doing plenty of 6-7 mile runs and Ludlowville went fine, so I was confident I could make it as long as I started slow and had some fuel & fluids. I allowed myself 2.5 hours to finish and that was almost perfectly accurate. The lake views toward the back of the first half were lovely, then the hills on Lake Rd were a bit of a surprise (but I ran all of them, unlike Ludlowville). As you might expect for a weekday afternoon, the trail was pretty empty - I saw only two other runners, a couple walkers and some people fishing in the pond near the start.

4 Likes

Story

Since I sadly could not participate in the Gorges HM, I decided to do a solo HM race. :sweat_smile: :checkered_flag: I am grateful the FLRC challenge had a course mapped out for me already :rofl: so I didn’t have to figure out my own.
Early this morning (early for me anyway :wink: ) drove out to the trailhead.
(Very thankful for the portapotty at the head of the trail btw :+1: :+1:)
Armed with two bottles of Tailwind, 2Liters of water, and snacks in all pockets, I started my audiobook and hit the trail.
There was lovely fog and cloud cover as I started out. Grass was damp, and with a slight breeze that kept me refreshed throughout the run. The trail was quite and with the book playing, the miles just clicked by. During the last two miles the sun at last peaked through the clouds.

This was the third time I have run a HM distance and I really love seeing/feeling the improvements in my running performance over the years. And even though this wasn’t a PR, it was the HM I felt the strongest. :muscle: There are so many other aspects of progress besides just the time on the watch. :heartbeat:

and if you haven’t tried Tailwind, for fueling&hydration, give it a shot. I love it.
After trying a bunch of the single serving flavors I upgraded to the large pack. :star_struck:

4 Likes

I love the idea of celebrating running accomplishments other than time. Feeling good during a long distance (whatever that distance is for you) is great! :muscle:

5 Likes

Story

Silence is punctured
Bog is abound with music
Of ten thousand frogs

(I’ll do a full 100k write up soon. For now it’s the haikus I thought of while running the courses.)

3 Likes

Story

Part 1: This was my favorite challenge course when I ran it starting in the dark one morning last month, and since it is one of the closest courses to me (an hour drive away), and since it is flat, I decided it would be a good course to run for some heat acclimation today. While eating breakfast, a check of the Activity Log shows Pete Kresock @Petorius is over halfway through the Ultra Challenge that he started the evening before. I continue to follow his progress all morning. (Congratulations, Pete!)

Kick off time is shortly after 7 AM and I wonder what to expect for wildlife this late in the morning. There are numerous dog walkers out, which may explain why I only see a few rabbits on the trail. (The trail stays rather busy all morning.) I do see a few deer off in the fields, their big ears turned out towards me as I pass, but otherwise they remain statues. Numerous birdsong and the babbling waters of the adjacent creek accompany most of my trail journey. There are sounds of the occasional woodpecker and owl hidden away.

Daytime running exposes the scenic countryside as I head south.

The bloom of the colorful wild phlox is past and now numerous other wildflowers are present. Most dominant is the yellow bird’s-foot trefoil (Thank you, PictureThis, for this and many of the other identifications!), which also is known as eggs and bacon. It does not remind me of eggs or bacon, and when I crush some of it between my fingers, it smells like neither to me. Nonetheless, it lines many miles of the course and brings to mind the yellow brick road. For a brief time, “We’re off to see the Wizard,” plays on a loop in my head.

The grassy stretch after crossing Springhouse Road is still dewy enough to soak my socks and make my feet squish mildly in my shoes for a bit. For this stretch, a mini-swarm of gnats also joins my run. Fortunately, they aren’t gnasty gnats and I can ignore them.

I cross Main Street in Dryden and begin the Jim Schug section, which is a top-notch stretch of rail trail. I love the ponds and wetlands it passes by.

The smooth trail allows me to scan both sides for wildlife. There are various small birds, but no ‘pterodactyls’. I do see a mother mallard with at least a half dozen ducklings swimming near the grasses in the water. She is near where I saw the couple last month, so perhaps it is the same one. Just before the end of the outbound trail, I do some acrobatic maneuvers to avoid stepping on a snake the same color as the cinders. He sidled off to the weeds but only a few strides later I came across this little serpent stretched across the trail.

I have been running through both sunny and shady sections on the trail, but that ends as I begin the road section. The roadside presents me with blue wild chicory, orange wild lilies, and more yellow trefoils!

My admiration for these blooms delays recognition that the preheat stage is nearly over and the road pavement will begin cooking later this morning. But, for now, I enjoy the scenic countryside, the farms, and the view over the lake. My pals are out again, but for some of them, I am old news as they seem rather aloof.

I circle back down to the trail for the inbound leg returning me to the car. I scan the wetlands for more wildlife to no avail, but it is still a pretty section to run. The grass is still a bit dewy and the gnats waited to accompany me again for the ¾-mile stretch from Elm Street to Springhouse Road. It is 10 AM and the temperature is approaching 80 degrees when I reach the end in Freeville - my day is not over yet…

4 Likes

Story

Part 2: After completion of the first lollipop loop, I drank two Mountain Dews, downed a Snickers, and polished off several cold wedges of watermelon. I did this while resting in the shade and checking the status of Pete Kresock’s Ultra Challenge progress; he only had Blueberry Patch to finish. A dry shirt, a dry buff, a water refill with some ice, a nutrition restock, a rest of 50 minutes… I hit the trail for a second loop starting at 10:50 AM.

The temperature is 84 degrees with lots of sun but there are still shady spots on the trail and a cool breeze whenever the occasional small cloud hides the sun. It is not that bad and I chug along at my mid-summer, mid-day pace around 13 minutes per mile. This loop is all about time in the heat. The trail is not as busy as morning, at least not for dogs, but I still see a good number of kids and adults throughout. There is less birdsong than before, perhaps due to the heat, or because it is mid-day?

The gnats are still there… but the grass is dry.

As I cross onto the Jim Schug, the clouds are bigger and more numerous but they do not block the sun. On the south side of South Street, I find a brand new Finger Lakes library card with the key tag still attached. It was not there when I passed through inbound on the last loop. I decide to pick it up and show it to the trail folks I see shortly ahead. The first is a girl walking a dog. As I show it to her, she reaches for her back pocket. Yep, it is hers.

Shortly ahead are two boys just getting off their bikes to start fishing from my favorite pond. I pass them and then pause for a while to ‘bask in the brilliance of the pond.’

The sign at the 1.5 mile point of the Jim Schug trail tells me the shrubbery with the red (and sometimes orange) berries all along the trail is Tartarian Honeysuckle, a highly invasive species. I never knew that.

Small birds are the only wildlife I see on this loop. But I do ‘pic’ a nice bouquet of wildflowers:

The road section is definitely hot but I am not bothered as much as I expected. This is a good heat acclimation run. Every runner knows it is important to replenish electrolytes, especially on hot days… which is why I ordered the Salty Caramel Truffle ice cream from the (trailside!) Station Creamery in Dryden on the return.

I tell ya, it is sure some awesome replenishment! I am really liking this new concept of ice cream shop aid stations right on the course! (Shout out to Cornell Dairy Bar again.) I may get spoiled. July is National Ice Cream month and this kept my July streak going, too! So, I walked the trail while eating this delicious, cold, creamy “aid”. Apparently, it does double duty as gnat repellent. They do not swarm around me until seconds after I finish it.

Upon reaching the end in Freeville, the temperature is 87 degrees and it is still sunny! This calls for another Mountain Dew and more cold watermelon wedges. But, it also calls for some post-run recovery, which I find here:

Oasis is certainly the right description! A trail with TWO ice cream stops! I also nominate Toad’s as ice cream people of the year! I walk up to read the menu and the lady at the window immediately asks if I need some water. :heart: I said I was fine and then as I continue to read the menu, she asks if there was something special I wanted after my run. I said, ‘No, I am just looking at all the flavors.’ Then I order a medium Rocky Mountain Raspberry, to which she says a medium is pretty big but I look like I can handle it. :grinning: Good people like that are going to get my business any chance I get! What a great end to a great day of running!

5 Likes

I enjoy reading your write ups! I appreciate the details of the trail and humor!!

Ice cream, times 2, for the win!!!

1 Like

Great write-up of your double Dryden Lollipop run. I enjoyed all the photos. Also I’m glad you doubled up on the ice cream shops.That is dedication to Team Ice Cream!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing what sounds like a truly lovely day! I’m not sure I can promise there will always be ice cream stops on our courses in the future, but I’m definitely going to try!

1 Like

Story

the Dryden Lake course had an other-worldly look to it this morning, covered in fog for the first 40 minutes or so of my run

5 Likes

Story

Great day for a half marathon! Loved the scenery along this course and I was able to take my time and stop for some photos. (I did see Jesse at the start, but I think the timing was just a coincidence, and passed at least a couple other FLRC runners out there!) Saw one osprey, a doe and her fawn, and too many rabbits to count. Also some truly spectacular daylilies and chicory flowers along Lake Rd. Got lucky with slightly cooler temperatures and cloud cover, even a slight breeze, but was still very warm and sticky by the end.

Tip for anyone who hasn’t run this yet: Agway sells cold bottled water and Gatorade! If you pack some money you can enjoy a nice “aid” stop at mile 10. They open at 8 most days, 9 on Sundays. I was just a little too early for ice cream, Toads Too doesn’t open until 12. I did drive to Dryden and celebrated finishing the challenge with some excellent slices at Carrozza Pizza Co. Best pizza of my life.

6 Likes

Story

This run was a sizzling slog but I wasn’t in any hurry, just wanted get the miles in. I started at the small lot where the trail crosses Route 38, just south of central Dryden, and ran the out-and-back west to the railroad depot so I could stop for water at my car halfway. I carried a 20 oz bottle with Gnarly Nutrition electrolyte drink and ended up needing every last drop. My car thermometer read 82° when I finished and I swear it felt more like C than F. At least I’ll be rewarded with some extra plasma in my blood.

3 Likes

Story

Finished the Dryden Lake Lollipop course or should I say it finished me. Little cooler today, but an ice cream cone in Dryden helped.

6 Likes